Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so the other day when I wake up... do the normal moring stretch and it happens.... My calf muscle takes on a mind of it's own and decides to tense up more than it ever has before.... Man that hurt!!! basically had a big ball of muscle at the top of my calf and a hole towards the bottom... My GF tried to massage it out but it was too tight.... so anyway.. I was talking to a co0worker about it today and he says that I shold have stuck a pin in it!!.. .I was like WTF thinking he was kidding... but nope he was dead serious.. according to him if you stick a pin/needle in your muslce when itis all cramped up like that it will release immediately...... anyone ever heard of this type of "therapy" before?????

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think I would rather just tough it out for a minute or so rather than sticking a pin in it. I get those once in a while in my thigh. They suck.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah normally I would just let it run it's course.. but this one for one reason or another was the mother of all cramps.. I think it lasted for like 3 minutes.....

·
Registered
501 Posts
I think the pin would work if you knew acupuncture, but if you don't, I'd forget about that method. stretch it back out if you can and massage it. try running warm water over it too or use a heating pad.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
what? like an ink pen?

nah, i know what you meant. i've never heard of such a thing.

i get muscle cramps on my bike at times, on or around my hips mostly, and there is no way to stretch your legs very well while riding down the street. i've gone for miles thinking about pulling over just so i can stretch. very painful. never had one that bad before, and i've never had a cramp i couldn't find someway to stretch out too.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
happened to me all the itme when I was in gymnastics. I would just get out of bed and walk it off, not much you can do about um

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah I know all the stretching things and the walking it off... but dunno guess this one was a big one don't remember ever having one that bad.. Also it struck me as real odd when he told me to stick a pin in it.. never heard that one before... maybe it's one of those universal treatments like when the coach yells at you to "put some ice on it" for everything from a nosebleed to a broken back... lol...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Water and bananas should be your friend!!!!! Do this and you won't get any cramps....

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have woke up in the middle of the night with my calf completely cramped up. Severe pain. When it "loosened" up, it was still sore for 2 days. The muscle actually tears when it is severe.

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
i had the same exact thing happen to me, cept mine actually woke me up when it happened. my whole calf muscle was balled up; ive had some cramps before but i remember thinking what the hell was happening to me cause it was like the muscle had a mind of its own. i couldnt do anything to help it so i just layed there till it went away.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I used to get them all the time from running, mostly in my thighs though and they would have me in some serious pain. When I stopped running as much as I used to they stopped coming, and I miss them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts