Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm riding home from my Jiu Jitsu class last night. It's about 7:00 pm. Still bright out. I am on a road with 1 lane of traffic going each way. There is some old person in a big assed white oldsmobile behind me.

Some dude on rollerblades is trying to cross at a pedestrian crosswalk. The lights go on and I slow down and stop. Now, the MSF instructor I had told me to always watch the fuckers behind me through my mirrors to make sure they didn't plow into the back of my bike. Well sure enough, this old fuck doesn't even slow down until he's almost on top of me. Then I hear the tires lock up.

Now, because I had been watching him, I had already started to move forward, and drove around the pedestrian.

I looked back and it looked like the car was stopped where I had been sitting.

I didn't stop to double check, I just fucked off at that point. Didn't want to deal with some enraged motorist.

So, the MSF is a good thing.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Great job man... Saved yourself a lot of hassle avoiding that situation. One of my boys took the MSF course and was told the same thing. Unfortunately he didn't do that mirror check at a stop light and a drunk driver struck him making him and his bike fly into the middle of the road. I was right beside him when it happened. So you did yourself well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I will be a good day when the police start handing out right-of way violations instead of speeding tickets

·
Apprentice wheelieist
833 Posts
2000ktm said:
I[t] will be a good day when the police start handing out right-of way violations instead of speeding tickets
Very true.

and the likelihood of being hit at night while riding through a sea of lights has stopped me from riding at night almost entirely.

·
Banned
278 Posts
Good to hear you're using techniques from MSF. Something I all too often see riders NOT doing.

I'll admit that I've come up pretty quick in my cage behind riders, as well as seeing them sitting at stop lights, and the majority of them don't even glance in their mirrors.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I only needed to see one picture of a bike playing the part of a new hood ornament to watch for these people every time I come to a stop. I've been lucky so far, but I get to sit a lot at a four lane highway waiting on lights on the way to school. I'm waiting for the day a semi comes barrelling at me at 60mph.

Good job actually executing the maneuver, man. Knowing something and being able to do it quickly and instinctively when the time calls for it are often two very different things. :) :cheers

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nice work, I haven't had to actually move to keep from getting hit, but man do those SUV's like to ride my ass when I am stopped... o yea I amost forgot Rickson by armbar.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Good thing you were watching. March of 06 I was rear ended at a red light by a taxi. Driver fell asleep and hit me at 40mph. Needless to say I was pretty messed up, but lucky to be alive. Ended up breaking both bones in my lower left leg, my thumb in 3 places, and my jaw in 2. Could have been much worse.

·
Pro Bike Theft Victim
1,088 Posts
i always watch in the rear the whole time , If i am the first one at the stoplight i will look back , untill 2 or 3 cars are back there and not moving ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts