Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding home on the freeway at about 45 - 50 mph in the far right lane.

I'm following a car and like MSF taught me, I was constantly scanning ahead for trouble.

Sure enough, about 1000 yds in front of us is a truck parked on the right break-down lane. The driver has his signal light on and looked ready to drive into our lane...but I'm thinking "There's no way he's gonna pull out, we're approaching too fast"

But just as the car in front of me is about to reach the truck, it pulls out very slowly directly in front of us!!

I instantly slowed to a safe speed without hitting the car and without being rear ended...since I was also scanning behind me for tailgaters.

Thank you MSF

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I'm glad to see those skills payed off for ya.

And to think you almost didn't get a bike.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Alaska and Hams yes those lessons are a lifesaver

I didn't think I'd have an "oh crap" moment this soon on a bike but Oahu drivers are very bad nowadays.

yes Alaska, I'm so happy to be riding :)

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Good to see MSF paid off

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
It's a daily occurance for MSF skills to come into play on Oahu roads and highways.

·
20,262 Posts
The MSF at LCC should teach you pothole riding/avoidance, considering the number of them out here :lol

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah the drivers are nuts here. Rascus lol

I try to minimize my time on the bike, mainly to work and back and short weekend rides

·
Registered
359 Posts
It really is satisfying, isn't it, to spot a potential problem far in advance and watch it unfold as you take evasive action?

If you hadn't been scanning and evaluating potential hazards, you might have got pissed off when the truck "suddenly" entered traffic. And instead of this instructive thread, perhaps you would have written an angry post about how they're all either idiots or intentionally trying to kill us.

The situation brings up a very important point about trucks. They accelerate very slowly. To merge into freeway traffic smoothly from a dead stop, that truck would have needed a lot more than a 1000-foot gap. In fact, it may have needed a b***** gap than is possible to find in normal traffic. You might think he was careless in pulling out, but it could be that he just took the best opportunity available and was relying on traffic to slow down and accommodate him. I try to make an extra allowance of time and space for truckers. They're highly skilled drivers doing a difficult job, and they have enough trouble with brain-dead cagers; they don't need motorcyclists ruining their day, too.

·
Registered
197 Posts
This doesn't necessarily only apply to motorcycles. I constantly scan ahead in my car looking for danger and to see what's ahead so I can be prepared. This skill shouldn't have to be taught and should be a part of everyone's daily driving/riding skill.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
I had something simiar happen to me on Wednesday going to work in the morning. Going over a crest in the highway, going at a decent clip, not much traffic at all. When all of a sudden traffic comes to a complete stop. I was behind a rig trying to move over. He locked up his brakes and smoke was litterally billowing out in front of me. I lock up my rear too.

Kept it locked, the Honda was dancing a little bit behind me so I didn't want to release and have a little high-side.

So I give props to MSF too! :cheers

·
Registered
495 Posts
Good job keeping up on your scan!

I like observing how close poeple get to an obstical before they realize/see it and react. Here is an example. During road construction on a manhole cover, one lane of a 4 lane road is blocked for maybe 100 ft. A police car sits with the construction vehical in front of the worker with its lights on. There is a sign 500 ft before the cones and police car. I see poeple in cars cruising along (50mph) until maybe 100 ft before the lane blockage when they finally react! 100 ft is nothing at 50 mph, thats as far as they are looking ahead! And it might not even be that far since the flashing lights might have caught their attention before their normal zone. This is after cresting a hill where you can see the construction and resultant traffic congestion from nearly a mile away!!!

I always looked through others windshields and around their cars to get a good distant view of the road ahead. I did notice when I started riding, I started looking even further ahead and becoming more aware of the lack of perception most poeple drive with!

Everybody stay safe!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good info people...actually the truck in my incident was a regular pickup truck with a guy sitting in the bed.

I don't know if something was wrong with his truck because he seemed to have trouble picking up speed. think it was a nissan hardbody or something.

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
MSF here in Oahu should teach...

Pothole avoidance techniques
How to spot a tourist in a rental cage.
How to anticipate turning cars that don't use signals.

·
20,262 Posts
Bomb300 said:
MSF here in Oahu should teach...

Pothole avoidance techniques
How to spot a tourist in a rental cage.
How to anticipate turning cars that don't use signals.

You forgot my all time favor "How to deal with idiots going slower then the speed limit in the fast lane"

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that's true Bomb300 and Rascus

so many don't use the turn signal

and when they make right turns, they make mega wide arcs so that they cross over the lane to their left before turning right :rolleyes

·
Registered
548 Posts
This doesn't necessarily only apply to motorcycles. I constantly scan ahead in my car looking for danger and to see what's ahead so I can be prepared. This skill shouldn't have to be taught and should be a part of everyone's daily driving/riding skill.
Agreed.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
cvm4 said:

:bitchslap

What's wrong with you?

Scanning for danger in a cage takes away from more important things such as talking on the phone,puting on makeup or digging through the CD case.

:banana :)

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
Rascus said:
You forgot my all time favor "How to deal with idiots going slower then the speed limit in the fast lane"
Easy, you pass them on the right as quickly as possible.

1. Check for clear lane.
2. Signal lane change.
3. Downshift if necessary.
4. Roll on throttle.
5. Change lane.
6. Pass slow cager.

Don't forget my favorite lesson; "How to lane split rush our Oahu traffic safely."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts