Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have recently passed the range test, can you give any tips/hints, on what to expect on the range test? I guess i'm getting a little nervous since before my first range class I've never ridden a bike and I didn't do so well starting out. Later on, I got the hang of it, but I don't feel like I have enough practice to already have the range test a week later. I don't know if every state has the same range exercises but I struggled on #9 where you had to get up to second gear and then do a sudden stop when the instructor signaled you to stop. I asked the instructor if the the exercises after #9 (first range day we left off on #9) were going to be harder than #9, and he said it wasn't anywhere near as difficult as #10 and so on. So what should I expect? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
72 Posts
All I can say is on your last day you'll get about 3-4 hours of practice of stuff on the range test, and then you will do a skills practice just before. But basically you'll have to do 2 u-turns(figure 8), a quick stop, a swerve, and a cornering excersise. But basically if you listen to what they tell you, and practice what you need to do you'll be fine. I just took the class 3 weeks ago, and it was great, there was only one lady who failed, because she stalled out in the cornering drill, and could not control the bike during the u turns. but basically just listen to what the instructors tell you and you'll do great.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just took the test on Sunday and our class had 24 people in it, 12 in the morning and 12 in the afternoon. All 24 passed, myself included. bankrobber is dead on about what my test had on it and I think it's standard anywhere you go. As long as you listen to what they say, make good use of the practice time they give you right before the test, and don't drop the bike during the test you'll be fine. I had no riding experience prior to Saturday. Just out of curiosity, what did you struggle with on the quick stop exercise? I'm in no position to even have guidance of my own to give but I might be able to relay relevant information that my Coaches gave to my class.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the problem I had was just forgetting to shift down to second and i dind't pull on the brakes fast enough to perform a sudden stop. I kept on squeezing it in kinda slowly.

BTW. I had the written test today and scored a 100. Made me releived a little and gave me more confidence looking forward to the range test. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts