Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to take the msf course but have a few questions.

1-what does it cost, as I cant find pricing on the website.
2-you need a valid drivers license correct? I have a restricted right now due to a bad mistake of a dui, which will never happen again I assure you :eek: Would my restricted license count?
3-all gear is provided right?

I am getting my license back in May, and saving until then so I can buy my used bike. I think I will have to wait until May to take the MSF, is that right?

Thanks
Fry

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Costs vary widely depending on the subsidy from the state (like $25 up to $250). Find a phone number to call and ask your local MSF group.

I think you do need a valid license and maybe even a m/c permit (written test only), but again check with MSF local to you.

You usually need to provide leather gloves, a long sleeve jacket, and some sort of boots. They will usually provide helmets, but those can be rather "ripe" especially if it's hot where you are. Borrow a helmet if you don't have one or at least buy a "do-wrap" or whatever.

The MSF course is an excellent way to start, BTW. :dblthumb

·
Registered
343 Posts
frey51 said:
2-you need a valid drivers license correct? I have a restricted right now due to a bad mistake of a dui, which will never happen again I assure you :eek: Would my restricted license count?
I think this depends on if your state has actual Motorcycle licenses or just M indorcements... best thing to do is call up your local DMV good luck man... what ever you do... DON'T GET A 600! :lol just kidd'n... take it easy brother

:cheers

·
Registered
203 Posts
you won't need the endorsement to take the course. I don't even think you need a driver's liscense. Wear jeans, over-ankle shoes, a long sleeve shirt, and sunglasses (or other eye protection). Otherwise, it is all covered by the class.

I paid 180 for my class :(

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
well, he needs to find out if he can get a M endorsement w/ that on his license. it's no use taking the class, if you can't ride legally....in the sense that it's wrong to ride illegally, not that it won't improve his riding.....

·
Registered
452 Posts
You should contact whomever is offering the MSF course in your area to confirm all this.

My experience (in WI):

1. Cost = $35
2. I looked back at all my paperwork for the class and found the following:

"You must have a motorcycle temporary instruction permit for at least seven days to be eligible for the Motor Vehicle Department skill test waiver. (You do not need your temporary permit prior to attending the motorcycle program.)"

So, it would appear that (at least in my class) that you needed the temp permit to be able to get the waiver. I got the waiver and was able to skip the driving test at the DMV when I got my full license.

3. Here is a list of gear that you'll need (direct from a handout I got in class):

- helmet (they can provide one)
- eye protection (if you're using a full-face helmet, the visor counts; otherwise sunglasses will work)
- full-finger gloves (leather recommended, but not required)
- long-sleeve shirt or jacket (leather or denim recommended)
- long pants (jeans are best)
- over-the-ankle footwear (leather boots recommended, but leather high-top shoes were acceptable)

Good luck.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Please be very careful at MSF as you can die. There was a lady in Colorado Springs who was taking MSF and ran the bike off the road. Her helmet wasn't secured and fell off and she hit her face on a curb and died.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
it wasn't an MSF course, it was an Harley "Riders Edge" program, and i've heard of 2 cases.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Meh2u said:
Please be very careful at MSF as you can die. There was a lady in Colorado Springs who was taking MSF and ran the bike off the road. Her helmet wasn't secured and fell off and she hit her face on a curb and died.
That's fucking terrible :(

We had a big open parking lot for my Riders' Edge class, I really can't even imagine that happening :confused:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yeah, it didn't sound like an MSF course to me. In the MSF course you don't take the bikes out on the road... at least mine didn't. Our class was in a huge wide-open parking lot.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
from what i heard, it was in a parking lot, and the rider gunned the bike in gear, shot off across the range and slammed into a building....

i know 1 range i teach at , the building is 20 ft from the parking area...so i could see it happening.......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts