Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just signed up for an MSF class today. I've never ridden a manual dirtbike/4 wheeler/motorcycle before. Will they show me how to drive with zero experience? Or should I find a bike of some sort and get some practice on that first?

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
They will show you how to operate the bike, you might need to bring some of your own gear though like a helmet and jacket.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Don't worry about it. You won't be the only one there with ZERO experience. THe drills they have you do start with baby steps. You will only have to shift to one gear, if that.

Good luck and Welcome to the Addiction :twofinger

·
Registered
18 Posts
MSF was totally fun. You should get all the info you need in the packet that they send you in the mail. The place I took it at provided helmets if you did not own one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Msf Is Something I Think Everyone Should. Its Good To Get The Feel Of 2 Wheels. Its Good To Get Out On The Street With At Least Some Understanding Of The The 2 Wheeled Beast.besides The 400 You Pay Is Worth It Cause You Learn And Get 10% Off On Your Insurance.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
PLEASE dont go out and practice anything before the class. How do you know if you are doind it right in the first place? I get so many students who taught themselves very bad habbits and waste valuable time breaking them and starting over with the correct skills.

·
Like Bing and Bong
795 Posts
The course will teach you. Enjoy it. It will be a fun learning experience.

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Hmpf. I took the course and as someone who had never ridden a bike AND had never drove standard, it took me longer than everyone else to get the basics down, but they do give you the tools and instructions you need to get those basics, it is just to get over your fear of messing up and being new and actually really act according to instructions (such as resisting the urge to lean your body to make the bike go round a curve, and instead always remembering to just tilt/push the handlebar in the direction you want to go, leaning your body the OPPOSITE way if anything)...

No need to try and learn on a bike beforehand, they start you off by walking the bike up and down the course while sitting on it.

You need to know how to ride a bicycle.

They will give you a helmet, or you can bring your own. In my course you had to bring your own long sleeved shirt or light jacket, your own gloves, and your own boots or sneakers that cover your ankles.

You will get the exercises the more you can relax...one guy said he hummed tunes to himself during the exercises rightup untl the point where he actually had to do something such as make a sudden required stop or swerve or so forth, instead of beating himself up mentally about whatever he messed up on the last go round. Relaxing and learning to trust the bike and the instructors' instructions is MUCH harder to do than to say, so just remind yourself that you are there to learn to trust the bike and learn to use the instructions, you're not there to be perfect.

So don't worry about it, no need to get a bike and practice beforehand, but i will tell you this, for me, i needed more practice than they had scheduled time for, and it helped A LOT for me to already own my own bike so that when their 2 days of training was over, I could immediately start trying to apply what i learned and trying to correct my mistakes. If i had to wait til i got a bike later down the line to be able to practice, I would probly be rusty all over again.

So go ahead and start scanning ads in your area and on Ebay for a bike that might interest you. Go to the local dealer and sit on decent beginner bikes (ask the older heads here what they consider good beginner bikes...it took til today, day 3, of me riding my own bike back and forth in my apartment complex for it to finally feel "natural" to me... I bought some gear before i bought the bike, then the bike, then bought the rest of the gear before getting on the bike. ANd i didn't have a CLUE how to ride it until taking the msf. Amazing how i could be passenger enough times and yet be so clueless about the controls til now. Now I practice in my parking lot but i wouldn't be able to do that without the course. Good luck! Remember to breathe and work on having faith in the bike and the instructions! :)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
tommy_boy said:
MSF was totally fun. You should get all the info you need in the packet that they send you in the mail. The place I took it at provided helmets if you did not own one.

thats wierd my class starts in less than 2 weeks and the only letter I got from them was a confirmation letter tell me the time, date and what to bring with me along with directions. Was I supposed to get more?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Squid Killer said:
PLEASE dont go out and practice anything before the class. How do you know if you are doind it right in the first place? I get so many students who taught themselves very bad habbits and waste valuable time breaking them and starting over with the correct skills.
I'd have to agree with Squid .... the more you 'learn' before you take the class the more they will probably have to reteach you. Better off not having any bad habits that will need to be changed.

They start you off really slow just kinda letting out the clutch until it grabs and going from there.

Believe me, my retarded red-headed step sister could learn how to ride a motorcycle with the instruction given in these classes. :bitchslap

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Hagios said:
Check out the MSF website. Plenty of good info there
+1. www.msf-usa.org. Before MSF, when I first motored around a parking lot in a friends Kawi, I found that knowning how to drive a manual car, at least conceptually, helped me out when shifting on that bike. The MSF definately reinforced that, and of course, tells you how to stay safe while doing it; stopping, starting, turning at higher speed, turning in low speeds, etc.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
For those of you who are signed up for the class...Its not a big deal to show up to a prior class just to watch for a little while and even ask the instructor a few questions during their breaks.

I just did a class where someone came by for a whole morning to watch. They arent sceduled for two more weeeks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts