Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah i did a search and i have spent a lot of time on this forum reading.. but its kind of hard to try and suck up all the info i need and do it when im a) limited on time and b) i have no money.

Okay so for the MSF course, i need ankle sturdy boots, gloves, long-sleeve shirt and jeans. I have most of those. I have the jeans, shirt. I need the boots and gloves. The problem is.... where do I get the ankel sturdy boots and the gloves? Do i just buy some random gloves and boots at Sportsmart? The thing is... if i'm going to spend money on buying boots and gloves, I might as well buy something that I will use when im actually riding. (buying JUST for the msf course is a waste of money) ... So any recommendations on the type of gloves or brand that i need? They range from like $40 to $200. I won't get a bike until a few months later... so take that into consideration please. And the boots as well. I can't even wear my daily work boots because they cut off at the ankles. Thanks.

-David

EDIT: BTW, im real short on money here. I have the riding course this Sunday. If it was later, i would be able to afford something better.

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
I wore hiking boots when I did the MSF course. As long as they cover your ankle a little, they will be fine. Some of the guys that took the MSF course with me wore those black mechanic gloves that they sell at the auto-parts stores. The instructor didn't say anything. Others wore hunting gloves and boots.

·
Registered
262 Posts
same here...hiking boots barely covering the ankle...we had a gurl wearing a $12 pair of rain boots from walmart!! :lol

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
mIchELe said:
same here...hiking boots barely covering the ankle...we had a gurl wearing a $12 pair of rain boots from walmart!! :lol

Michelle, we all know that girl was you! How else would you know they were from walmart and they were $12. :banana

·
Registered
743 Posts
Hiking boots and gloves you wear to work in the yard will be fine if you are comfortable riding in them. The speeds are low and hopefully you won't need to test out the boots and pants anyway.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Squid Killer said:
Hiking boots will do fine and any cheap gloves will also work. Find some cheap garden gloves for $5 and use them for the class.
Just don't get the one with flower prints all over it!

Anyway.. check out www.newenough.com and look at their closeout section.. GREAT DEALS!

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Absolutely minimize your investment in clothes for the MSF class. Really cheap-o boots and gloves will be fine (Wall Mart, etc.). As Jim said, watch that the boots don't have really large, hard toe areas. It would make it hard to get under the shift lever.

Afer the course you'll know if this is something you really want to continue. Then you can start planning real m/c gear and a bike. If necessary, start with less bike and more gear to stay within your budget.

Have fun at MSF!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just took the MSF course the passed weekend. I ended up going to kmart and spending few dollars on some cheap batting gloves but they are better than gardening gloves because atleast they are leather and grip. Like the others said, you won't be testing it out as crash gear so just get some cheap stuff, and when you get your bike save some money for quality gear.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I wore high top shoes and my riding gloves. As you stated if you are going to buy them, buy what you really want to use. However, any gloves at all will work for the MSF. Even a cheap pair of lether work gloves.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay thanks for the help. I just realized that i have my football gloves ahah. It's leather and has good grip.. good enough for th MSF course. I also got my friend's hiking boots for that day. :) Thanks

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Just remember to NOT use that type of "gear" when you're out on the street with your bike. If you go down, you need more quality gear. Pickup your gear in pieces: helmet one paycheck, boots the next paycheck, etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts