Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Flyin' Low
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the course this weekend and had a blast and learned so much. I got a 98% on the test and a perfect score on the riding portion, so I was pretty proud of myself! The instructor pulled me to the side and asked me if I have ever ridden before, and was surprised to hear that I hadn't. Anyway, he kept telling me that I was a really good, smooth, natural rider, so that made me feel good about myself. Over the course I expressed my interest of sportbikes to him. He and I began to form a good relationship and we talked about his bikes, the bikes my dad has, and the bike that I aspire to have. He currently has 40 yrs of riding experience under his belt and rides a Yamaha FJR 13000. I told him that my Dad has two Harley Sportsters (1200R and an 883L) and that I would be riding them over the summer to get some on-road experience. We then began talking about the bike I wanted, 600cc sportbike (don't know which one yet). He said that along many miles this summer, the skills I have displayed, my knowledge about bikes and my intelligence level, that i'd be capable of handling a 600SS by the time I want to buy a bike (next summer). He also said that it would be very important to get a good number of miles under my belt this summer with the Harleys. This doesn't mean that I'm going to do just that. I'm going to evaluate the progress I make over this next year and if I feel comfortable, then yes, I will opt for the 600. But who knows that will happen. Regardless, I think I had a very successful weekend with the MSF course and couldn't recommend it more to people who are debating whether to take it or not. It really teaches you the proper, responsible, and safe way to ride. Thanks for reading (if you made it all the way through)!!! Happy and safe riding!!

·
Registered
488 Posts
congrats on your passing the course man.. safe riding, and good luck.. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I take mine in two weeks. Hopefully I'll learn something. Don't know how much though considering i've already learned the basics since I've been riding for about 6 months now. Just doing it to get my endorsement so I don't have to run from the cops anymore :eek:

·
Flyin' Low
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, it's a great way of getting your endorsement. I know people who have been riding for many years and take the MSF BC every once and awhile just to remind them of the basics (and somtimes) lifesaving techniques. Good luck!

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
Burnspot said:
Congrats! :D

(/bias on)On 600's, may I humbly suggest an FZ6...great 600cc bike. (/bias off)
The only thing I don't like about the FZ6 is the lack of adjustable suspension but other than that, it is a very good bike.

I would also suggest a used YZF600. They are plenty fast, cheaper to buy and more comfortable than many bikes (except the FZ6)

·
Registered
528 Posts
I wish I could take MSF, called the college a week or two ago and they were like the classes are all full until about August. :pisson

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
NEMISIS said:
I take mine in two weeks. Hopefully I'll learn something. Don't know how much though considering i've already learned the basics since I've been riding for about 6 months now. Just doing it to get my endorsement so I don't have to run from the cops anymore :eek:
6 months riding and you think you've learned it all?

I can gurantee you'll learn something. There was a guy in my class been riding for over 20yrs and learned a thing or two...

·
Registered
528 Posts
NEMISIS said:
WARNING: If NEMISIS is seen call the squid police.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thats good to hear, I am saving up right now so that I can hopefully take my MSF course by the end of this summer so I can then start saving up for a bike.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Congrats Ambitious1!

I, too, finished my MSF today, and really appreciated the fact that we spent at least 8 hours on the "range", learning new skills and sharpening old ones. I had a Yamaha 500 in 1981, and rented a Nighthawk 450 for a week in 1985, so I pretty much figured that I knew the basics. WRONG I WAS!!! Though it got pretty hot, (not one student finished without a sunburn), I learned slow speed manuevering (F-ing U-Turn Box!) and what was really good was I REALLY learned how to work the "Friction Zone". Before MSF, I was always afraid of the "Friction Zone" because I thought I'd burn up the clutch, but MSF taught me a lot, especially the capabilities and limitations of my bike, and the capabilities and limitations of ME. Even though I feel much more "in tune" with my bike after MSF, I know that I have much more to learn as experience will offer.

I aced the written test, and had 12 points knocked off the road skills test.

I have one strong recommendation for anyone taking MSF during these warm months: bring along a bottle of Gatorade or something like that! The "range" sessions can be hot, with a lot of time spent on the bike. Be prepared to sweat!

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
congrat's and have fun out there.

·
Registered
833 Posts
NEMISIS said:
BTW, there are supposed to be 2 'e's in "Nemisis". I hope you ride better than you can spell. :banana

·
Registered
37 Posts
Rascus said:
6 months riding and you think you've learned it all?

I can gurantee you'll learn something. There was a guy in my class been riding for over 20yrs and learned a thing or two...
Oh, I'm sorry...you must have missed where I said "basics" :bitchslap

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
NEMISIS said:
Oh, I'm sorry...you must have missed where I said "basics" :bitchslap
You think MSF course only teaches you the "basics"

What do you consider the basics?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Rascus said:
You think MSF course only teaches you the "basics"

What do you consider the basics?
I'm only going by what I've heard from others. Tell me, what else does it teach you besides the basics? I'd consider the basics to be, first and foremost, operating the bike(ie how to use the clutch, brake etc). The laws regarding riding. Basic Countersteering and manuevering. What to do in emergency situations.

I considered all of this to be the same jargon people told me when I first wanted to start riding. Been riding dirtbikes since I was a child, everyone tells me it's NOTHING like riding a street bike. I buy a streetbike, ride the streetbike, exact same fucking thing. So as you can see, my trust in what other people have to say is somewhat jaded. Everyone is different. Just like how everyone told me not to start on a 1000. Well I did. And i'm fine. Not to say I will be fine forever. But after a few thousand miles, I am having no problems :)

Flame away :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just because you wear full gear does not mean you aren't a squid. I could suit up in a major league baseball official uniform but that doesn't make me an all-star player.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts