Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into a job working for the Army, Hilo is the name of the place. Can somone tell me what island that is on? I really want this job but I am a little apprehensive. I live in Sacramento right now and I have been told it does not cost that much more than hear unless you live right on the beach or in an exclusive area. Are cars affordable their or should I keep the one I have and ship it. I assume their are no racetracks over their (road not drag). I am single so what is the man to woman ratio, I am 30 but look about 24.
Car insurance prices, above average my current company does not write for Hawaii so I will have to find new ins. Traffic compared to here. Sacramento/ San Francisco. Access to medical care. Crime rate.
Sorry to ask so much but it is a big move for me.
All help apprecciated(sp)

:)

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
allhonda said:
I am looking into a job working for the Army, Hilo is the name of the place. Can somone tell me what island that is on? I really want this job but I am a little apprehensive. I live in Sacramento right now and I have been told it does not cost that much more than hear unless you live right on the beach or in an exclusive area. Are cars affordable their or should I keep the one I have and ship it. I assume their are no racetracks over their (road not drag). I am single so what is the man to woman ratio, I am 30 but look about 24.
Car insurance prices, above average my current company does not write for Hawaii so I will have to find new ins. Traffic compared to here. Sacramento/ San Francisco. Access to medical care. Crime rate.
Sorry to ask so much but it is a big move for me.
All help apprecciated(sp)

:)

I'll try and answer each one of these for ya

First...Hilo is on the Big Island...the largest of all the hawaiian islands. I haven't been there yet but it's not as commercialized as Oahu. Roads...from what i've heard the best in the islands. I believe there is a track there but not sure.

There is a track here on Oahu but it's real crappy.

Housing on the Big Island is a helluva alot cheaper then oahu...by a good bit

I'd keep the car you have now or buy a new one before you leave. The car mark up is an avg of 3 to 5 thousand. It's stupid but it's the norm.

Things may be a bit higher in Hilo (i know gas is) because everything comes into Oahu then is shipped to the outer island, the reason for the increase.

Insurance you have to get "No fault" insurance...ALOT of drivers out here who don't carry and it helps protect you. I had cali insurance before and my rates stayed about the same. Any big name insurance carrier will have Hawaii insurance.

Traffic is really bad on Oahu...just not enough roads for the amount of people living here. Big Island...i couldn't tell you about the other islands.

Just to give you a price break down...prices could be a little higher on the Big Island (these prices are the highest I've seen..so if you look they are cheaper)
milk: 7.50 a gallon
gas: 2.39 a gallon

Check out this website as well Hawaii Forums

·
Registered
93 Posts
What was said before is true, however, if you will be working for the army you should get commisary access which will bring your gas and food prices WAY down.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Joe said:
What was said before is true, however, if you will be working for the army you should get commisary access which will bring your gas and food prices WAY down.
If he's working for the Army, as a civilan he won't. Unless he's active duty. I'm not sure but is there a commisary on the Big Island? Sad thing is here on oahu (last i checked) the gas at Costco is cheaper then on base

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yup you I love Costco gas. Just the fact that they use Aloha gas but sell it cheaper then the aloha stations is amazing. I would like to ride on the big island. When we went there a few years ago the ride looked like so much fun.

·
Registered
88 Posts
a friend of mine moved to the big island. he says the place to really enjoy you sportbike is saddle road. i believe its the road going to mauna kea, i think. anyways its also a shortcut between kona and hilo. why go all the way around when you could take this twisty road. i hear it cuts at least an hour or so on driving.

allhonda - my friend works at the live fire range somewhere. i used to work with him here on kahoolawe. if you see an black w/red flame '03 R6 fider ask for jerry. if its the same guy i know, he is always looking for someone to ride with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts