Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy a mouth guard, I'm having trouble finding any around here, I've found a couple Karate websites that have some nice looking ones. But I'd like to hear if anyone else uses one and what you reccomend.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well, I guess your best bet would be a martial arts or football (American football) style, but I don't really see the need. With a proper fitting helmet preventing a direct blow to the chin, it seems unnecessary, but nothing wrong with being on the safe side, I guess, if you're comfortable with it.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
rossi wears one.......:)

·
ok, who farted?
559 Posts
i seen a guy wearing a mouthpiece but not a helmet...that makes a lot of sense to me....your head could explode, as long as your teeth are in tact

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
It might make your helmet squeeze your cheeks a bit. I have one for tournaments that's just the standard cheap kind from the sporting goods store that goes over your top teeth. I've tried it on with a helmet and it squeezed a bit but I've never ridden with it, so that's not my final word. Try to heat it up and fit it with your helmet on (you heat them to mold around your teeth), that might help. I've thought about getting one of these (not just for riding, if at all), but it might be overkill under a helmet:

http://www.kamikaze.com/securestore/c52668p168929.2.html

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'm just trying to stay as safe as I can. Rossi, along with alot of the other MotoGP riders wear them, there has gotta be some reason. I figure one more safety device for $10 isn't too bad.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I would talk to your dentist about getting one custom fit if you're gonna wear one while riding. All of the sports ones are made for short times in your mouth. If you leave it in for hours while on a ride, it might start moving your teeth or something. It's worth asking about anyway.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will do, thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
304 Posts
RACER X said:
rossi wears one.......:)
Yeah, but I'd say he has a better chance at going down at nearly 200mph. At that speed, I suppose your teeth might chatter a bit. I just don't see the necessity of one for a street rider (or even a club-racer), unless you just want to be like Rossi.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'd wear one but thats only beacuse when I ride hard I tend to clench(sp?) my jaw and afterwards my jaw and teeth hurt...anyone else do that?

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't go on rides any longer than an hour or so. I'm not into endurance racing. I don't ride on the street, so even if I do a full ~25 lap race (only been in a couple actual races) I'm only on the track for an hour at a time, if that. Typical track days I'll do a 20-30 minute session, pit, adjust things, repeat. Bought this little cheapo $2 mouth guard at the base exchange, heated it up, conformed it to my mouth. Haven't taken it to a track day yet, will be doing that this weekend though, so I'll let everyone know how it goes with the el cheapo mouth guard in.

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
MobileSuit said:
I buy my mouth pieces at walmart or dicks (sporting goods)
well man... i dunno about you, but personally.... i wouldn't buy ANYTHING at a place called Dicks & put it in my mouth :nerd

1 - 13 of 13 Posts