Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I run my youtube channel "MrTinman818" and one of my favorite angles is when I mount my GoPro on the windscreen looking back to the rider (me). However, lately, my footage has been coming out sort of bumpy. I never noticed that on my 650r which is surprising because it vibrated way more than my zx6r. Any tips now where or how I should be mounting this to avoid so much shake from the road?

Here's the video:
Santa Susana Pass - March 2, 2013 - YouTube

ps. my gopro died later this day but I'm working on getting the hero 3
pps. I had the setting on r5 which cut half my head out of the top most of the time. I will have to change it next time.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Vibration is sort of expected when you hard mount it to the bike. If it was attached to you, your body would act as a sort of suspension and soak up the bumps.

First off, you're going to get buffeting from the camera being out on the nose fairing like that.

Secondly, the longer the arm you use on your GoPro, the more vibration there will be. If you have 0 extension arms, it will be minimized.

Thirdly, do you have the little rubber piece that inserts into the sticky mount along with the clip? That cuts down on a lot. If not, use electrical tape. 2 strips on the contact surface on the mount will help a lot.

Fourthly, it could just be that your front fairing vibrates more than your 650R's did.

Just go into the youtube settings and select the stabilize video option. That'll clear it up a lot. That's what I have been doing.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
My problem is that there are two types of mounts - one that has about 1.5 or 2 inches riser and one without a riser. The videos I take with a riser are worthless because it vibrates so much (the arm like thing, like a tripod). If gopro has something like that, I recommend you dont use it and mount it flat if you can.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I mounted mine on the triple tree with a extension so its like the post above.

Its pretty clear but needs a thicker vibration pad as expected.

youtube is outhouse848 if your curious

·
Registered
855 Posts
A tip a friend gave me that seems to help a lot...when attaching the snap part to the permanent mount shove a piece of folded paper or a cut up credit card between the plastic...on the front side (the direction the video is shooting)

Hopefully that makes sense. :lol

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
the stiffer suspension on the ZX6R compared to the 650R actually makes the ride bumpier.

Reactions: tinman818

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FYI: this vid is using the suction cup mount...

Thirdly, do you have the little rubber piece that inserts into the sticky mount along with the clip? That cuts down on a lot. If not, use electrical tape. 2 strips on the contact surface on the mount will help a lot
Thanks for the input. So just to clarify, you're saying to put the elec tape on the windscreen (for example) and then a sticky mount on the top of the tape?

Great track day footage btw!

youtube is outhouse848 if your curious
Thanks, I'll check it out and see what some other vids look like.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
I have a standard Gopro Hero:
Tail mount ZX6R:
Front Mount Just above the Kawasaki label on windscreen 250R:
Front Mount facing me next to the mirror brackets ZX6R:
This is my channel with a few more videos:
Christopher Binker - YouTube

I can flip flop the mount locations and face the camera the opposite direction, but I havent done that, more often then not, the camera pisses me off and I stop using it through out the day.

Reactions: tinman818

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks

I have a standard Gopro Hero:
Front Mount facing me next to the mirror brackets ZX6R:
Thanks for sharing these. Two questions:
1) Is this using the YouTube stabilizing feature?
2) Are you using the sticky mount?

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
Thanks for sharing these. Two questions:
1) Is this using the YouTube stabilizing feature?
2) Are you using the sticky mount?
1. yes
2. yes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts