Sport Bikes banner

Mountain Biking

270 views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  smashbox 
#1 ·
I know there are a few others here and the 'season' is wrapping up or done in some areas. Here is my weekend ride at the cowboy trails in las vegas. This ride was cut short by a flat but was 1500 ft of climbing in 3+ miles.

See less See more
#2 ·
i used to mountain alllllll the time when i was like 16. After i got my license i just stopped, but if i had a real nice bike with suspension and disc brakes (no not a cheap mongoose either) i would definitely still be riding a pedal bike. Such a good workout. Looks like you got some nice trails. Only thing around me is rocks, b***** rocks, more rocks, and rocks, so without suspension it brutal

#6 · (Edited)
i wouldn't say that.... i live 1 town away from you and i've been to chimney rock plenty of times and haven't hit the same trail twice.. granted there are a lot of rocks, the trails are half way decent and some are out right dangerously challenging. that's only about 20 minutes away in bridgewater..

and hour in any direction will bring you to more mountain bike trails as i did extensive research this summer on places to mountain bike.. ANDDDDDD Diablo (ridediablo.com) is only in Vernon! It's a friggen downhill course that looks ridiculous.. i just stumbled upon this when a friend sent it to me. they're open every weekend until the first weekend in november. i won't make it there this year but next year i'm definitely going out there!

moreover you can probably get away with a decent mongoose bicycle.. i was going to buy a cannondale mountainbike this past summer.. i stumbled upon a Haro and fell in love with it.. i was getting a better price for the haro that came with dual disc brakes and Mazarocchi shocks, i couldn't pass the deal up..

there are a handful of great bicycle places very close to us ZZR, let me know if you need me to point you in the right direction. hell, i'd even be willing to ride with you if you wanted to.

#3 ·
^^^i have got to get back on the pedal bikes too. i have an '06 specialized stumpjumper fsr expert with about 100 miles on it. its purchase coincided with buying an old enduro. i went from bicycles (worked in bike shops for 6 years) to motorcycles almost overnight, and now they are just collecting dust :(

that's a nice pic, OP. what do you ride

#4 ·
^Got the same bike and it's great. Love the trails.

#7 ·
The bike is an '02 intense tracer, XT everything, sid race up front, crossrocs. Pretty middle of the road components but nothing has broken in 5 years.

Its actually my backup bike, I mostly ride an '06 kona unit singlespeed but I blew out my tubeless front tire and hadn't repaired it yet. Those trail are just brutal on an SS anyway. I like climbing but damn....

And as for nice trails, the LV area SUCKS hairy walrus ass for mountain biking. I took that pic cause its one of the few spots where its nice. It is extremely rocky and sandy. People list bootleg canyon here as one of the best MTB spots in the west. I can only assume these people are from back east and didn't make it as far as norcal where pretty much EVERY trail is better.

Here is a better representation of vegas trail conditions:

#12 ·
Jr. detective at work there. :D

Its a little further up the same trail, thats why you can see the same ridge in the distance. All southern NV terrain is interchangeable, cacti and rocks....

deftones, its an 80mm. It is a bit stiff, I've been toying with switching it out for the duke I have on my SS which would fit it's character better anyway. (lockout!) I'm just lazy about removing crown races.

I'm not overly impressed with the weirwolfs. (wolves?) At least here in NV they are only OK in loose conditions. I greatly prefer the nevegals I have on my other bike, they stick like glue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.