Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife wants to try mountain bike riding and I'm all for it. I don't know a damn thing about mountain bikes except the off road bike association here has some nice trails!! I'm 6"2" with a 34" inseam. Can anyone suggest to me a nice entry level mountain bike and what size to get without killing my bike account, I don't want to dip too far into the motorcycle fund? The wife has one her friend gave her that she likes so she is covered.
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Goto a bicycle shop. Trust me I worked in them for 11 yrs. I can post up why later

They will walk you through what you need vs want and size it

You don't have to spend a lot, there is a bang for the buck price point for quality versus cost

My post from a previous thread:

Would you like the inside information? The real story?

I spent 11 years working in bicycle shops, so let me give you an informed opinion

Stop buying cheap shit set up by moron stock boys

There are critical things in the assembly of a bicycle that only take a couple minutes, but if missed can cost you big money in less than a year

Many of the bikes are junk, though I've seen some fairly good ones more recently, but the assembly alone almost guarantees failure. It's not just about checking all the bolts for tightness, there are things that simply have to be greased that the box boy doesn't do. In less than a year they rust, and then we bicycle shop mechanics are taking the propane torch to your bicycle. Trust me, I've done hundreds of them and felt bad for every person that got screwed by a half assed assembly. There are parts that loosen that must be done on a 90 day check, regardless of where the bike comes from. Box boy will have no idea how to properly tension the spokes of a wheel to ensure it stays straight.

Go to a bicycle shop and tell them what you need and can afford. You may even end up with a good used one. You don't have to spend $500. I've been out of it for a long time, but a good quality bicycle from a shop doesn't have to cost a ton. Yes, a more expensive one will have stronger/lighter materials and better tolerance, but there is a bang for the buck point that was about $250 in my day.

A new one will have proper assembly and a 90 day checkup that is critical, again if it's missed there are several items that can be severely damaged and cost you a lot of money.

I worked in bicycle shops from age 12 into college. I repaired, built and sold everything. I was an avid rider and loved bicycles.

Please trust me. I can honestly state that even if you a little more, you will save a lot of money in the long run buying from a real shop. Then there's warranty, the big names are typically very good about warranty claims.

Hit me with any questions, please.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
You need either a large or XL frame.... or 19.5" or the next size up (depending on which sizing scheme the manufacturer goes with). I have a 30" inseam and ride a medium (17.5"), for reference.

Go to a bike shop and sit on some to get an idea of size, though. And not walmat/target. An actual bike shop.

As far as what to get... that depends. You'll want a hardtail (no rear suspension) as an entry level bike. They are cheaper and easier to maintain. For reliability, you want only SRAM or shimano components. Not that there is much else on the market, but you never know. Plan on spending around $600 on a decent entry-level bike from trek, specialized, gary fisher, GT, or cannondale. That's if you buy new.

You can probably score something in the 250-300 range on craigslist.

This was the only deal I found on your local CL. It's a couple years old, sold for like 850-900 new. Should be able to get it for closer to 425-450, honestly. But look for something like this.
Specialized Rockhopper Comp M4

You want to go used... you can sell a bike like this for the same price in a year, it's got good components, it's rugged, etc.

This is an XL frame... you'll have to get sized. Feel free to post up some bikes you are considering on here, I can let you know if they are worth it or not.

OR- you can snag something like 15 years old for under 150 bucks. Depends on what kind of performance you are going for...

F4s posted while I was typing. Yes- definitely go to a bike shop to get sized, and they'll give you an idea of what you should be looking for.

You don't need to spend 1000 to get a good bike. I scored a bike for 550 on craigslist... it was about 1900 bucks brand new and less than a year old. GREAT value for the money. A guy I ride with spent 300 and got an $850 bike that was never even ridden.

Reactions: mfromphilly1

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Welcome, and enjoy the addiction!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Heck im just really cheap. I have a 30 inch inseam and im using a 21.5" frame.

Im a big fan of craigslist. I picked up a motobecane ds500 for $150.

It's deff a lot of fun and make sure you wear you helmet all the time. (Yea i know gear Nazi on bicycles too).

As stated b4, welcome and have fun.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!! I think I will go to a bike shop and try some out but look at CL like everyone suggests :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts