Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your opinions on motovlogging? I think it's fun to watch some of them sometimes. Chaseontwowheels, iamramekin, yummiR6, bakerXderek, etc. But the problem is they have 20,000+ views. Some ride, some want to ride, some just started riding, etc. and they take the motovloggers advice as fact. YummiR6 was talking about getting his wife a 636 as a first bike. The general consensus is that would not a good idea but it makes people think it's a good idea since YummiR6 did it. I saw Chase doing 150+ on the highway. I'm not against opening it up and having fun. But doing it in heavy traffic just isn't the place. But that makes people think it's ok. Or you have guys like this
giving lectures on topics he is clueless about. He explains the Jake brake completely wrong to start off. And most of you know the relationship between engine braking and rev matching. You should rev match in order to engine brake, right?. There is no vs. What he's referring to as engine braking is slipping the clutch. Lots of new riders have 250's and 500's. Neither have slipper clutches like that 600. Yeah, they have wet clutches. Yeah, you can slip them. Yeah, they handle a lot more abuse than a car clutch. But I still wouldn't recommend not rev matching to down shift and just slowly releasing the clutch. Slowly releasing it just adds wear and tear... If you dumped the clutch or released it too quickly without rev matching, the back wheel would lock up. That's just dangerous advice he's spreading to people. Look at all the praise in the comments. They have no idea he's wrong.

So that kind of sums up my opinion. Some can be entertaining, some are very informative and a good influence, but some can be general bad influence on the motorcycle community.

(I am right about the engine braking, correct?)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I met Chase! Also I asked him to make me a video for a project for school and he did! "Why I Ride". Anyways. Motovlogging is about being yourself. If you're a jackwad and an idiot, you can be a jackwad and an idiot and people will love you and hate you for it. The thing is about fans is that if they want to be like their favorite motovlogger, they will be. No stopping it. I think it is a very cool thing. But you can't police bad advice or people being stupid or reckless. Let the people police themselves on YouTube.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
TLDR

Baron Von Grumble is the only one I've seen that I could stand listening to.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
I am subscribed on youtube to a guy from an Irish motorcycle forum who does this. I find his to be pretty entertaining. Haven't checked in on him lately though... Need to do that.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Used to motovlog...about 8 vids in got bored and quit. I don't watch them any more, but when I did it was pretty much Mordeth13 and a few of the older school ones. It does rub me in an iffy manner, though, essentially riding around moderately distracted while the cagers around you are moderately to highly distracted. Probably I'm just simple minded, but I found that I have ridden a bit more safely when not talking into my helmet mic. :shrug Then again, motovlogging might not be so bad if I had the boring ass straight roads that some of these poor sons of bitches do... :cry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts