Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just making an observation of what I think tends to be illogical thinking on the part of riders in general, but especially sportbike riders. It concerns the "punks on them crotchrocketes" stereotype that I often hear complaints about. I read/hear about being safe, riding responsibly, wearing your gear, making fun of "squids" (been riding a year and a half and that label and discussion is very tired already). Among all this preaching there seems to be an overall consensus that it's cool to go fast and be stupid, but only occasionally... (this seems to be the loophole of not being a squid) I think that if riders feel that strongly about the image problem, then we should consider ourselves "amabasadors" of the sport each and every time we ride, especially in the city. If any of us have ever knowingly done something unsafe or ridden faster than necessary, then we deserve the bad rap, and have contributed to that image problem, especially if this was done in front of the general public. I understand that riding a sportbike involoves an art of pushing limits, but the fact is that public roads were built to go from point a to point b, thats it. Not to test your skills. Not so that we could ride out bikes. Thats what the track is for. I also understand that the track costs money. The reality is that if one cannot afford the track, then one cannot afford the sport. I'd love to take up flying, but thats out of my financial league. So guess what, I don't get to play cuz I don't have the money. I have yet to be harrassed by anyone, including cops. Yes drivers have done ridiculously stupid things that had I not reacted or been able to predict would have killed me. They also do that stupid shit when I'm in my truck, I ride the speed limit, and basically pace traffic. I just focus on being fluid and smooth which is a challenge in traffic. I just get my high from being on the bike period, and feed on the experience. All I'm saying is that stereotypes exist for a reason. I'm tired of hearing about riders going down or getting killed over stupidity on the part of the rider going 90 when they could have been doing 70. Then everyone hopping on the "fucken cagers" bandwagon. All comments appreciated, even if you disagree, I'm just making an observation, thats what forums are for right?

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
I agree.... not that I don't do things I'm not supposed to do on the street, but I try to keep it to a minimum when in traffic. I remember mentioning one time in some thread that it wasn't good for our image to act a fool in front of the general public, and at least one person took exception to this concept.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Of course the majority of us will agree. But there's always the exceptions. There's always someone who's gotta ride like a jackass, and do wheelies in a school zone, or split lanes and weave in and out of traffic. Because of people like this, our sport will always have a bad rap.

But these types of people are not limited only to sport bikes. How many times have you seen some asshole in a Subaru WRX driving like a crazy person, thinking he's cool cause his car has a turbo?

My point is, we can only do what's right for ourselves. We can only preach so much, because if someone is gonna be a squid, there's usually nothing you can do to stop them. It usually takes a life-threatening wreck to make them realize they are riding like an idiot. But, in the meantime, people like you and I, who ride with full gear all the time, respect the laws, and don't endanger other people, will still get a bad rap because unfortunately, we are grouped in with all other sport bike riders. And the idiots doing wheelies on public streets are more noticeable than those of us obeying the laws, so they tend to stick out in the minds of cagers, who then form an opinion about the sport on the whole.

I suggest a National Squid Intervention Day. On this day, I want everyone to confront that friend of yours who you know rides like an ass. Tell him that he's giving us all a bad rap, and that he's putting himself in harm's way. Tell him that you're only bringing it up because you care about him, and his safety, and that you really wish he would ride more responsibly.

I'm guessing you won't get more than a middle finger in your face, but if we can convert one Squid out of a thousand... that's one step closer to sport bikers having a better reputation.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
But if all the kiddies didn't buy new Gixxers every three months then crash and buy new ones, Suzuki wouldn't have all that R&D money.

by the way your sig rocks nox

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sqchram said:
But if all the kiddies didn't buy new Gixxers every three months then crash and buy new ones, Suzuki wouldn't have all that R&D money.

by the way your sig rocks nox
Uh thank you sir...

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
So its all or nothing right? A person who ride hard out at mt. palomar or the dragon a few weekends a month is equally as irresponsible as a guy who constatly wheelies and speeds in urban traffic every time he rides? I can't agree. There is a thing called judgement, and I think if you you exercise it with intelligence you are a good ambassador of our hobby/sport/obsession by example.

As for giving advice, do so when it is appropriate. Talking with 'squids' on a personal level with a little respect shown goes a lot further than just calling them dipshits or turning your nose up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
big_slacker said:
So its all or nothing right? A person who ride hard out at mt. palomar or the dragon a few weekends a month is equally as irresponsible as a guy who constatly wheelies and speeds in urban traffic every time he rides? I can't agree. There is a thing called judgement, and I think if you you exercise it with intelligence you are a good ambassador of our hobby/sport/obsession by example.

As for giving advice, do so when it is appropriate. Talking with 'squids' on a personal level with a little respect shown goes a lot further than just calling them dipshits or turning your nose up.
I wasn't giving advice, just making an observation. If someone wants to take a risk, they have every right, they have to deal with the consequences.

·
Banned
4,236 Posts
I Disagree, Im A Squid. And Proud To Be Labled As Such. Why Do You Care So Much About What The Other Guy Is Doing??? And Why Do You Feel The Need To Represent All Bikers? Heres An Idea, Just Go Out And Ride. Who Cares If Someone Is Out In Sandals & No Gear. It Is That Guys Choice And His Right To Do So. Like You, I Hear This Conv. A lot. Let Squids Be Squids. Most Grow Out Of It. Some Dont. :cheers

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
S107 said:
I Disagree, Im A Squid. And Proud To Be Labled As Such. Why Do You Care So Much About What The Other Guy Is Doing??? And Why Do You Feel The Need To Represent All Bikers? Heres An Idea, Just Go Out And Ride. Who Cares If Someone Is Out In Sandals & No Gear. It Is That Guys Choice And His Right To Do So. Like You, I Hear This Conv. A lot. Let Squids Be Squids. Most Grow Out Of It. Some Dont. :cheers
cool. I guess maybe I didin't make myself clear. I totally agree with you. let squids be squids. Thats why said the whole squid discussion is old. All I was saying was that riders who call out others as squids have been guilty of the same actions themselves, only less frequently. I'm really don't give a shit about what the other guy is doing either. I'm not trying to represent anybody other than myself, hell I'm not trying to even do that, riding is not what defines me, but it is something that I really enjoy and care about. Hell I like beef jerky too, that doesn't mean that I'm get all worked up over it. I was only making an observation. It's Sunday, I'm just kicking back. thats it. take as a conversation.

·
5,454 Posts
i behave when i'm in traffic or in the city or a small town. out on backroads i'll speed and pass on DY, but thats about it. IMO its all about where and when. i hate it when i see people flying around the city, but technically i'm just as guilty.

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
S107 said:
Why Do You Care So Much About What The Other Guy Is Doing???
Honestly, anybody can smear themselves down the road if they want. I don't wish that fate upon anybody though. But the only reason I care, is when I am riding within the speed limit, +/-5 I don't appreciate getting pulled over and getting cussed at with the fact of "We've already scraped two of you fuckers of the pavement this weekend."

Do I do dumb shit? Yes, from time to time. But I keep it away from traffic. Is it right? Hardly. But the only times I have been pulled over on my bike is when I am in traffic and not doing anything wrong. I've only had one ticket on a bike, last year when I was ran off the road by a car. Car didn't stop and I Received a ticket for, "Failure to maintain control". (go figure)

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Eh, shit happens. I bought a sportbike and ride it, therefore certain things are going to happen. A lot of people are dicks, many aren't, I wish there were fewer. As long as I'm still allowed to ride out of the city and get the f*ck away from 'em all, it's all good. :)

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Tell ya what, you worry about you, I'll worry about me.

As a gun owner, I do my best to portray a positive image, just like I do riding, but some people you will NEVER win over. There's a group that will always believe motorcycles are too dangerous

·
Banned
4,236 Posts
F4sSprintST said:
Tell ya what, you worry about you, I'll worry about me.

As a gun owner, I do my best to portray a positive image, just like I do riding, but some people you will NEVER win over. There's a group that will always believe motorcycles are too dangerous
No Dice.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
S107 said:
I agree with a lot of what you said, but disagree with some.

On one hand, what someone else does isn't my business and for the most part, I don't care. Personally, I don't buy the whole high insurance and no gear correlation.

But riding habits of others DO affect me whether I want it to or not. Where I live (NYC) lanesplitting is illegal but mostly ignored by the law. It's safer for the motorcyclist and reduces congestion. But with the recent rise in squidly lanesplitting practices (high speeds, and yes, even wheelies between cars) law enforcement has been cracking down.

In the past, responsible motorcyclists could lanesplit, now all lanesplitters get stereotyped as hooligans terrorizing others in traffic. I've gotten stopped once this year because the cop saw "a blue sportbike" lanesplitting at high speeds.

Not only that, but there's this rider that routinely wheelies down my residential street. I had the cops stop by my apartment 2 weeks ago because a neighbor a few houses down thought it was me.

There's also this side road on a deserted area I often take breaks at because it's on the way home when I ride a certain route on the weekend joy-ride. It's straight and pretty empty, on the side of the road is a pull off because of the scenery. Last year when I pulled in there were 2 police cars parked, thought nothing of it. After I took off my helmet and lit up my cigarette they came over and checked all my papers. They told me that the road is often used for "wheelies and other stunts" by local kids and most of them didn't have legal papers.

While nothing is that big of a deal, it's irritating and annoying. To apply some logic to the case, would I have had those stops/inquiries if squids did not exist? No. I think it's safe to conclude that squids DO affect some of us in a negative way. Yeah, it's all minor stuff...I've probably only had about 1 hour of my life wasted because I was stopped...but still, it's not cool. Plus the added aggravation of targeted unnecessarily by law enforcement. AND I might have to stop splitting lanes which would probably add 30 minutes each way on my commutes.

As for gear, whatever. Wear what you want, it's your skin. I think it's stupid to not protect yourself, but that's your choice.

I only get annoyed when someone else's choice directly affects my life in a negative way, and squids do, so they get no support or sympathy from me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts