Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since I've heard several conflicting stories about this, I thought I might ask. I've looked around on the net and on the FL DMV site and all, and haven't found anything. Some have said that motorcycles can always use the HOV lane any time of day, while others have said only during off peak hours just like cars (the whole two or more required between 7-9 am and 4-6 pm thing), and I'm not sure who to believe. I ask because I take I-95 every morning at about 7:15 or so, as scary as it is (I go north though, so it's really not too bad usually), but I usually always just jump over to the HOV and cruise along. Lately though they've been doing HOV enforcement, and just this morning on my way to work an FHP snuck up behind me from out of nowhere. I moved over a lane when I saw him coming and he went on by and didn't bother me, but when I got to work I was watching the news and saw they were doing enforcement right in that same area, so I dunno.

So anybody know for sure whether it's legal or not for bikes to travel in the HOV lane during peak hours??

·
Female Butt Lover!!
3,640 Posts
Motorcycles CAN use the HOV lane at all times...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I guess you could try the local listed phone #'s for highway patrol, state police and call and ask them. You could also look for a email on the hov site to email questions to.

·
Registered
471 Posts
lets read the actual law:

316.0741 High occupancy vehicle lanes.--

(1) "High occupancy vehicle lane" or "HOV lane" means a lane of a public roadway designated for use by vehicles in which there is more than one occupant unless otherwise authorized by federal law.

(2) The number of persons that must be in a vehicle to qualify for legal use of the HOV lane and the hours during which the lane will serve as an HOV lane, if it is not designated as such on a full-time basis, must also be indicated on a traffic control device.

(3) A vehicle may not be driven in an HOV lane if the vehicle is occupied by fewer than the number of occupants indicated by a traffic control device. A driver who violates this section shall be cited for a moving violation, punishable as provided in chapter 318.

(4) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, an inherently low-emission vehicle (ILEV) that is certified and labeled in accordance with federal regulations may be driven in an HOV lane at any time, regardless of its occupancy. In addition, upon the state's receipt of written notice from the proper federal regulatory agency authorizing such use, a vehicle defined as a hybrid vehicle under this section may be driven in an HOV lane at any time, regardless of its occupancy. The department shall issue a decal and registration certificate, to be renewed annually, reflecting the HOV lane designation on such vehicles authorizing such use. The department may charge a fee for a decal, not to exceed the costs of designing, producing, and distributing each decal, or $5, whichever is less. The proceeds from sale of the decals shall be deposited in the Highway Safety Operating Trust Fund.

(5) As used in this section, the term "hybrid vehicle" means a motor vehicle:

(a) That draws propulsion energy from onboard sources of stored energy which are both:

1. An internal combustion or heat engine using combustible fuel; and

2. A rechargeable energy storage system; and

(b) That, in the case of a passenger automobile or light truck:

1. Has received a certificate of conformity under the Clean Air Act, 42 U.S.C. ss. 7401 et seq.; and

2. Meets or exceeds the equivalent qualifying California standards for a low-emission vehicle.

(6) The department may adopt rules necessary to administer this section.
the only way i see a motorcycle being able to use the HOV during the HOV times is if it is a "inherently low-emission vehicle (ILEV) that is certified and labeled in accordance with federal regulations"

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm...

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent! That's what I wanted to hear :headbang

Soon after I posted this though I was looking around some more and I actually came across just the info I was looking for (I always find stuff right after I ask about it!! :lao ). How I didn't find this before I have no idea... I spent friggin hours looking!

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/Intranet/News/Archives/001201/054189.htm

So I guess that answers that question....

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
We can use the carpool lanes in Cali Too !!!! Wasn't always like that, I got a ticket
probably 20 years ago for being in the carpool lane on a motoecycle.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Good find, Jared!

"Rory Santana, district traffic operations engineer with the Florida Department of Transportation, said that if anyone on a motorcycle gets a ticket while riding in the HOV lane on a motorcycle, they should call the Florida Department of Transportation at 305-470-5335. The department will provide literature you'll need to get the ticket thrown out."

·
Female Butt Lover!!
3,640 Posts
If you guys remember in your MSF class (for those that took it), they did cover that...

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Yes, you can use the lane and I have a card that shows it. If I was to ever get stopped for it, I have the card. Plus I learned it in the MSF course.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I carry this pocket sized card with me when on the bike... it is laminated. Someone made a bunch for us a long time ago and handed them out.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
thirdgenlxi said:
Excellent! That's what I wanted to hear :headbang

Soon after I posted this though I was looking around some more and I actually came across just the info I was looking for (I always find stuff right after I ask about it!! :lao ). How I didn't find this before I have no idea... I spent friggin hours looking!

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/Intranet/News/Archives/001201/054189.htm

So I guess that answers that question....
That's what I thought

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Onetrick said:
I carry this pocket sized card with me when on the bike... it is laminated. Someone made a bunch for us a long time ago and handed them out.
I need to get one and have it laminated.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
HamG said:
Motorcycles CAN use the HOV lane at all times...
I use it all the time... I rather stay on that lane than have to go in, and out of the others.

·
Female Butt Lover!!
3,640 Posts
crisg555 said:
I use it all the time... I rather stay on that lane than have to go in, and out of the others.
Werd!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts