Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister calls me up one day……

“Hey, I have this great idea, let’s get our motorcycle licenses and ride our own bikes!” I enthusiastically reply with “I think that’s a GREAT idea! Let’s do it!” So together we embarked on the adventure now known to me as “Motorcycles 101.”
At first I was really excited about the idea of piloting my own machine and then I was petrified and then I was elated and then I was anxious and then I was….well you get the idea. I was on an emotional roller coaster. The only thing I knew about motorcycles was that I was definitely a sport bike rider at heart and that Yamaha and Kawasaki for sure made at least one model, in fact I thought Honda might make something as well. The only thing Suzuki made was that crappy little four-runner type vehicle that was absolutely pathetic. Aprillia and Ducati were curses in a foreign language and a Triumph was when you win something!
So I begin to do minimal research on my own and decide the starter bike for me would be an early 90’s Yamaha FZR600. Why? Well that’s easy, because I dated a guy in high school who had one! I had fun on the back so that is the bike for me! In black! Yeah, that’s it for sure! My sister on the other hand was leaning towards a Ducati…When she first mentioned the duc, my response was, “a duck? I know they have them in the Dells but what does that have to do with motorcycles?” See, she had a friend who was into motorcycles kind of helping her out. She wanted a Ducati Monster 600….DARK. It had to be DARK. Monster. Ducati. 600.
So the days go by and we are respectively searching for our bikes. She calls me again “I GOT MY HELMET!!!!” I pout slightly. She purchased an HJC for less than $100 “complete with a helmet cozy!” she gushed. Well, not to be out done by my baby sister, I run out to the nearest dealership to find me a helmet too! I stopped at a local Honda dealership. “Wow! Honda DOES make sport bikes! That’s pretty cool!” Well I take my ignorant ass inside and find a helpful young man to assist me in my very first motorcycle related purchase. Well, I too found an HJC helmet for less than $100….unfortunately I did not get a cozy with mine. I call her back “I got mine too!!!” We chat awhile about how hot we will look riding motorcycles. I go into work the following day proud as hell that I bought a helmet! I talked to one of the guys and he asks what size I bought. “A Medium!” I reply brightly. He shakes his head and tells me that would be way too big. I insisted how a helpful young man fitted my helmet for me and said it was a perfect fit. My co-worker coldly pointed out the guy was just looking to make a sale. Needless to say he was right. My head measures 54 cm….size extra small.
A couple of days later, I call my sister and she tells me that she can sign us both up for an MSF course. “What is MSF?” I ask. She giggles and said that her friend recommended that we take this class. I hesitated because I didn’t want to spend the money on it. “There are two bonuses here. 1) My friend teaches the class that is open and b) when you pass the class you don’t have to take the DMV test!” Well to find out I don’t have to deal with DMV I agree enthusiastically to take the class with her. In retrospect I am really thankful she had her friend helping her (us). He has no idea how much he helped me. Our conversation ended again with how hot we were going to be riding our own bikes and that the guys were just going to drop their jaws when we pulled in. Yeah, we were going to be something.
So in the interim I am still searching for my starter FZR600. Black. I am waiting for my MSF class and trying to find my way through all the different kinds of gear that did not fit me. I conducted searches for women’s leather, women’s motorcycle gear, and women’s motorcycle leather. Everything that returned was stiletto heels and chaps or had fringe on it. I was really frustrated.
I went to work upset and vented to a different co-worker. I told him how confusing it was and that I couldn’t find anything that I needed for my class. I was really worried about finding my FZR. He was so sweet and must have felt sorry for me so he offered to take me out window shopping on his Yamaha R6 the following weekend.
We went out shopping and I tried on different bikes and jackets. I sat on an FZR and found out it was WAY too big for my lack of experience. I learned what the different jackets were and what they were sized like. I learned that a good person is someone who is willing to help another learn a new sport rather than watch them flounder with questions and obstacles.
Even though I really wanted that FZR600, I ended up with a Ninja EX250. My “medium” HJC turned into an XS Arai. My Joe Rocket gloves were a birthday gift and my Vanson Leather jacket, purchased from ebay, was the perfect starting jacket. Guys don’t really notice how hot I am considering I wear a helmet and leather jacket. And every time I take my helmet off my hair looks like shit. I did manage to pass my MSF class the first time, but crashed the ninja soon after.
I realize now that I had no idea what I didn’t know and I thank my lucky stars I had someone to help me find my way through the maze of “motorcycles 101.” Every time I throw a leg over I think of the ones who helped me into this incredible sport that I now love so much.
When we see newbies struggle, it is our responsibility to lend a hand. Even when they are clueless they will eventually see the light. Just be patient and each of us newbs will come around in good time. And ladies, remember; a good man will help you through the start up phase and will maintain his good sense when you start kicking his ass through the twisties. When he smiles with your progress that is your sign he’s a definite keeper!

·
Banned
2,680 Posts
Very Cool. Nice article :banana

·
Registered
968 Posts
Great work.

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lun said:
Nobody edits/proofreads/formats this stuff before it is posted?
Where is your article contribution? Oh, I see, you haven't taken the time to even try. Thanks for your positive comments! :D

·
Registered
402 Posts
blndebmbr said:
Where is your article contribution? Oh, I see, you haven't taken the time to even try. Thanks for your positive comments! :D
It wasn't a positive or a negative comment. It was an honest question. No need to get defensive about it, but I sure can understand you being offended. Lots of authors can't take constructive criticism. Is it necessary for me to make an article contribution to make an observation and pose a question about any other article that has been posted?

So if it makes you feel better: KICK ASS ARTICLE!

P.S. Nobody edits/proofreads/formats this stuff before it is posted?

(Better?)

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lun said:
It wasn't a positive or a negative comment. It was an honest question. No need to get defensive about it, but I sure can understand you being offended. Lots of authors can't take constructive criticism. Is it necessary for me to make an article contribution to make an observation and pose a question about any other article that has been posted?

So if it makes you feel better: KICK ASS ARTICLE!

P.S. Nobody edits/proofreads/formats this stuff before it is posted?

(Better?)
If you don't think it's "Kick ass" then don't say it.
If you would like to volunteer to edit future writings,that would be great!!! :D I apologize if I took you out of context. There wasn't anything to set the tone of your comment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts