Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this and had to post it. Everybody be on your toes and watch out for those boats. RIP our two wheeled friend.

(Gilbert) - A Gilbert man died Thursday following a weekend accident in Lexington County.

Stephen Gable, 52, of Gilbert, was riding his motorcycle Saturday afternoon on Priceville Road when a boat became detached from its trailer and hit him, according to Lexington County Coroner Harry Harman.

Gable was transported to Palmetto Richland Hospital by helicopter. Harman said Gable died of multiple body trauma.

Harman said Gable was not wearing a helmet.

This accident is currently under investigation by the coroner's office and South Carolina Highway Patrol.

·
Registered
496 Posts
That sucks! The kicker is the fact that they stated he wasn't wearing a helmet, not much good it would do when theres a boat coming your way!

·
Registered
250 Posts
AZZKIKER said:
Wholly molly. What are the odds of that?????

Better than winning the lotto. Happens all the time (boats falling off). Two weeks ago I was riding behind a boat on a car, no tie downs, the passenger was holding it on the roof with his arm.

·
Registered
775 Posts
that sucks!

I don't know a lot about boats but have been with friends who were towing their's a few times. To my understanding there should be NO excuse for this happening. Wondering if there will be a law suit coming out of this.

RIP to the fallen rider. I would be surprised if a helmet would have helped if he was actually hit by the boat.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I hate to say it, but I have to wonder how closely he was following that car towing the boat? It's unfortunate, but we as riders, have to assume the worst and be prepared to deal with whatever comes our way. The car we're about to pass cutting us off and unpredictable road conditions including debris (tires, hubcaps, plastic bags, ladders, mattresses ... and yeah, boats flying off the cars in front of us).

Could it have been avoided if he had given himself some extra room to react? I would have to say 'more than likely'. Could it have been avoided if he had passed that car instead of staying in the same lane? More than likely. How about choosing another lane if there was one available. Once again, I would have to say 'more than likely'.

Ultimately, the person towing the boat is at fault but does that matter when one of our fellow riders is dead? RIP

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I agree with you sic, we have to be watchful of murphy's law. Anything towed I avoid like plague, and tractor trailors freak me out... I try to get past them as quick as I can. Paranoid about one of those 18 wheels blowing out and throwing a tread into me and my bike. Survival rate = slim to none.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts