·
Believe It or Not........
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...during chase!!

Motorcycle Passenger Killed In Police Chase - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston

Motorcycle Passenger Killed In Police Chase
POSTED: 10:18 am CDT September 26, 2008

HOUSTON -- A passenger on a motorcycle that was fleeing from police died when the driver hit a patrol car early Friday, KPRC Local 2 reported.
Houston police said Gabriel Valdez, 23, refused to stop for officers and led them on a pursuit through downtown Houston.

Officer K.L. Flores heard the pursuit on his radio and parked his patrol car on the right shoulder of the Gulf Freeway at Monroe Street to assist the pursuing officers.

Detectives said Flowers saw the motorcycle switching lanes on the feeder road and turned on his lights.
As Flowers drove into the right-hand lane of the freeway, Valdez entered the freeway and hit Flowers' patrol car.
Valdez and his passenger, 50-year-old Alfonzo Hernandez, were thrown off the motorcycle.

Hernandez died at the scene. Valdez was taken to Ben Taub Hospital for treatment. His condition was not released.
Flowers was not injured.

Police have not said why officers initially tried to stop Valdez or what charges he could face.

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
That's why you don't run from the police! ---> totally agree with this statement!

but still ...

this dipshit knew that hitting the motorcycle will inevitably lead to the bikers' death. How fuckin dumb do you have to be to actually take one's life because he was running from the cops. WTF? I hope this cop spends good 10-15 years in a cell getting raped every single day (yes, I know nothing will actually happen to him ...)

Edit:
Flame suit engaged.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
That's why you don't run from the police! ---> totally agree with this statement!

but still ...

this dipshit knew that hitting the motorcycle will inevitably lead to the bikers' death. How fuckin dumb do you have to be to actually take one's life because he was running from the cops. WTF? I hope this cop spends good 10-15 years in a cell getting raped every single day (yes, I know nothing will actually happen to him ...)

Edit:
Flame suit engaged.
poorly written story with lots of gaps, but i read it as the patrol car was parked on the side of the road with his lights on and the bike ran into it...not really worthy of a lifetime of rape in jail IMHO

·
center of an asian pop
3,480 Posts

but still ...

Edit:
Flame suit engaged.

I disagree. It seems like the bike hit the cop...while he was trying to run in the first place. You never know what they're trying to stop him for: might be rape, murder, etc.

On the other hand, it could have been completely misrepresented and the cop aimed for the bike... so :dunno

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
I disagree. It seems like the bike hit the cop...while he was trying to run in the first place. You never know what they're trying to stop him for: might be rape, murder, etc.
Its one thing for police to make that excuse to feel better, but you? Cmon now...

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
poorly written story with lots of gaps, but i read it as the patrol car was parked on the side of the road with his lights on and the bike ran into it...not really worthy of a lifetime of rape in jail IMHO
Then read it again. The story says the car cut the rider and passenger off. The cop probably didnt know or see a passenger and thought it would be okay and no one would say anything. Nope. He just killed someone that could not control the actions of the bike. Whether or not they massacred a million babies, that deserves punishment.

·
center of an asian pop
3,480 Posts
Its one thing for police to make that excuse to feel better, but you? Cmon now...
:lol true enough...

maybe i'm just going a little crazy today and can't seem to form any coherent opinions...

i'm going to go hide now...:p

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
"Officer K.L. Flores heard the pursuit on his radio and parked his patrol car on the right shoulder of the Gulf Freeway at Monroe Street to assist the pursuing officers.

Detectives said Flowers saw the motorcycle switching lanes on the feeder road and turned on his lights.

As Flowers drove into the right-hand lane of the freeway, Valdez entered the freeway and hit Flowers' patrol car."

My understanding of the story is, cop waits for bike on right shoulder, bike approaches, cop leaves right shoulder and merges into right-hand lane right in front of the bike. If the bike hit the back of the police car killing the passenger, that speaks of high speed impact and no reaction time. Which in turn, makes me think the cop merged right in front of the bike completely intentionally. That of course is my interpretation and I am likely to be wrong as I was not @ the scene.

As for my sincere wishes to the cop ... well let's face it; chances are a biker would be running from the cops because he's trying to avoid another speeding ticket. It's not like the news are full of stories about mass murderers, pedos and rapists running from the cops on motorcycles with their crime partners @ the back.

Yet, again, I may be wrong and the guys can really be some sort of twisted murderers that gotta be stopped @ all costs. In this case, the cop did the right job. In any other case, my wishes still apply ...

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Then read it again. The story says the car cut the rider and passenger off. The cop probably didnt know or see a passenger and thought it would be okay and no one would say anything. Nope. He just killed someone that could not control the actions of the bike. Whether or not they massacred a million babies, that deserves punishment.

Where?????

·
Registered
125 Posts
As Flowers drove into the right-hand lane of the freeway, Valdez entered the freeway and hit Flowers' patrol car."

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I've read the story like three times now and I can't tell if the cop was parked on the shoulder and was hit by the bike or if he saw the biker while he was parked and drove in front of him.

Whoever wrote that is a crappy writer.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Video of the scene
News Video On Demand | KHOU.com | News for Houston, Texas

KHOU.com staff report

HOUSTON – An overnight police chase ended in a deadly motorcycle accident.

According to police, the chase began just before 2 a.m. Friday in Midtown after witnesses flagged down an officer and reported two men on a motorcycle traveling at a high rate of speed.

The officer gave chase, but was unable to keep up.

Another officer then located the suspects and followed them, said Houston Police Lieutenant John Zitzmann.

“The officer was traveling south on the Gulf Freeway and blended into traffic," said Lt. Zitzmann.

"Out of nowhere the suspect appeared to also travel southbound at a high rate of speed and rear ended the officer,” said Lt. Zitzmann.

The chase suspect was taken to a hospital and is being treated.

His passenger was pronounced dead at the scene.

The HPD officer who was in the patrol unit that was hit was not hurt.

Charges could be pending in the case, police say.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sigh.... ok read this again and ill explain

"Detectives said Flowers saw the motorcycle switching lanes on the feeder road and turned on his lights.

Cop sees the guy on the bike getting on the freeway, cop puts his lights and and drives in front of motorcycle, motorcycle hits car and they get thrown off, passenger dies......

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Wow, now seeing the video-it is even worse on the Police end.

1. it was night time-So to sit on the side of the road with your lights off, then turn them on.
2. Realizing there was a passenger, as well as other bystanders, the chase should have been called off, just for the fact of the passenger and safety aspect.
3. As you can see how inept the HPD is, they handcuffed someone and walked away-you NEVER lose custody of your handcuffed subject.

Worst thing of it all was I bet the passenger was scared shitless and didnt want this guy to run, and he paid with his life.

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Worst thing of it all was I bet the passenger was scared shitless and didnt want this guy to run, and he paid with his life.
I didn't even think about that. It sounds even more f*ed up now :(

·
I dunno
3,784 Posts
he ran because he was committing the most heinous of crimes.

4 balls on 2 wheels:ar

:joke

I think it should have been called off too, chasing sport bikes is really just trying to get some one hurt. no excuse for running either though

·
Registered
382 Posts
LEOs should have just let those squids go. The officer risked a bikers life just for what?? maby a speeding ticket?? Even if it were a Felony thay should have let him go. It is far more dangerous to chase a fleeing biker cuz he can cause harm to himself and others on the road.

Just think of it if it were a cop on a motorcycle he would have given up the chase cause that would risk his life. But a cop in a 4000lb car has no worries of harm and will continue to chase them. Damn them!!

Damn it looks like a Kawasaki Ninja too. That makes it much worst. NOT A NINJA!!!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Personally when I notice the cops behind me with lights & such going I ALWAYS pull over.

Anyone carrying a pillion rider will be one that is not dressed with protective gear & such a person on the bike can throw off the rider in contol of the bike. I have not carried a pillion rider since '57 which is probably when some of you might have been thinking of purchasing a bike or still in diapers.

Ride 62 yrs like I have & you see these stupid situations come up & no matter what the rider is in the wrong. I have been stopped before & was given the reason why such as checking if I was qualified as a m/c rider, that I did not have a LP on the front (accidently lived in another Province before & only one LP was required), to several times when the Police officer had his own bike or own thoughts on a m/c & thought to ask me since he had seen me steadily pounding to & from work on the same route always riding in a safe manner. But yes I have received tickets for speeding & even more as well.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts