Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first...I did a search and didn't find any suitable answers.

Ok, I am looking for a lift like this:

http://www.handyindustries.com/shop/product_view.asp?idProduct=809&D=1&S=21

but one that will work for sportbikes as this one looks like it would put too much pressure on the fairing. So far I can't seem to find any lifts that will work for sportsbikes that are less than $800-1000 (these are the platform style lifts). Anybody else have any input on this? Thanks for any input you might have...

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
most sportbikes cannot be lifted with this type of lift. they are not flat and open on the bottom. For example mine, first the fairings are in the way, then even if I take them off, my motor is not even close to flat on the bottom, and my full systems pipes are in the way so that they would be crushed if I tried to lift the bike on them. Also most sportbike motor's oil pickups stick down so the pan has a low round spot. To properly lift a sport bike you either have to use a rear swingarm stand and a front fork or steering head stand. or hoist it from the ceiling or gantry crane like I usually do.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
A roll on lift is your only option. The jack pad lifts are for bikes with tube frames under the engine.

Something like the Harbor Freight lift is what you want (though I can't speak to the quality of that exact one.) You want to be able to set tools and an oil pan on the lift.

Foot or air lift doesn't matter. The best ones have a boxed table.

Make sure it also has a safety mechanism of some sort, and a wheel vise.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Harbor Freight is the Walmart of Tools, selling mostly stuff made in China. If you decide to buy it, sign up for their e-newsletter. It comes weekly and always has a discount coupon. They usually offer free shipping which is a big bonus on this type of tool.

Their products are basically low-end but generally servicable. I don't know specifically about this lift. I buy many of my occasional use tools there and they always seem to do the job.

·
Registered
447 Posts
redcbrla said:
first...I did a search and didn't find any suitable answers.

Ok, I am looking for a lift like this:

http://www.handyindustries.com/shop/product_view.asp?idProduct=809&D=1&S=21
Heres my bike with a Motorcycle jack lift from kragens for $50. I put a dictionary under the pads so the jack won't lift on the fairing but on the headers. You will need tie downs to stabalize the bike.

Not quick enough to use at the track but fine for home use and oil changes and other work.

Attachments

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks Jim...

lilxboi, hmmm...I assume that your bike IS much more stable on that stand than it looks. I am actually shopping for a stand for a freind's birthday...he rides a VFR. Now I just need to crawl underneath his bike sometime and see if something like this will work. thanks for the post. is that an F4?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Its a 97 F3. I actually got it balanced without the tie downs in the pics because I didnt have any at the time. The thing is I'm not sure how this would work with bikes that have undertail exhausts. I guess if you take the fairings off to do work it may be ok but I don't know how the bottom of the newer bikes look.

You definitly need tie downs with the lift. Craftsman has their own version which is much better built and comes with tie downs but costs about $80 and the lift is a little higher than the one in the pic. I can't use the dictionary I used in the pic with the craftsman lift because the padded legs don't descend low enough.

If you spend close to $100, you might want to think about just getting some stands. Easier to carry around and faster to use without the need for tie downs. I got the craftsman for $40 and I probably won't hit the track anytime soon so I'm good.

·
Banned
730 Posts
lilxboi said:
Heres my bike with a Motorcycle jack lift from kragens for $50. I put a dictionary under the pads so the jack won't lift on the fairing but on the headers.
So you're lifting the bike w/ the four header mounts and the one muffler hanger? And you don't think there's plenty of good reasons why nobody else does this?

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
good way to snap off your exhaust studs in the block.....

·
Banned
730 Posts
Kawisixer01 said:
good way to snap off your exhaust studs in the block.....
I was wondering just how strong the lip of the exhaust ports are. Sounds like a hellofa way to F- them up.

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
I saw once where someone actually mounted a come-along and lifted from a T-bar in their garage mounted to the frame.
Kinda just dangling, but hell it was skill.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Why reinvent the wheel??

I guess I just don't get it. Why take a chance on F'ing up your fairing, exhaust, etc trying to use a lift designed for cruisers when a set of front and rear stands are about the same money, easier to use, much safer and faster?

When I bought my '05 CBR1000RR, I bought a set of Power Stands the same day. They are very stable. I even park the bike on them in the garage.

Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts