Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just realized this as I have a claim. Make sure you guys have health insurance or are on a car insurance with PIP. Anyone else have any experience with this kind of situation? Share your stories. I have health insurance thankfully, but what are you guys without health insurance doing?

Reactions: PCHbreeze

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
I have PIP on my bike, so it does pay for it, you just have to pay for it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I thought I did too, but it specifically states that it is NOT for the driver or passenger and for others injured in the accident. This is Geico in NJ.

Edit: It seems that it's available for purchase in Kentucky.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Well...that's what you get for buying geico. The folks that take your premiums and use it to buy speed enforcement gifts fot the cops, then screw you like this.

F geico.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
it's usually not enough anyway for most policies. it does increase your prem quite a bit if you add it or increase it. I like progressive for the fact you can add/remove or change amounts of that sort of thing without creating a whole new policy.

when I got in a crash my health insurance wanted a copy of my bike's policy. I thought they were going to deny coverage or something. but they wanted my bike's insurance to pick up some of the tab then they would cover the rest.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I was almost 90 days on my new job when I got creamed by a speeding SUV at a red light. The hospital ran my credit and gave me the grand tour. I thought I was screwed until I read the union contract that stipulated that my coverage began on the first day of the third month.

The woman's insurance company that hit me offered to generously cover my bike but were denying with big legal lies about medical coverage. All I asked was for help, so I asked a lawyer to see what could be done. And he delivered. Full jury trial. It was worth all the back pain and morphine in the world to watch her lie and lie in front of a jury.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I was almost 90 days on my new job when I got creamed by a speeding SUV at a red light. The hospital ran my credit and gave me the grand tour. I thought I was screwed until I read the union contract that stipulated that my coverage began on the first day of the third month.

The woman's insurance company that hit me offered to generously cover my bike but were denying with big legal lies about medical coverage. All I asked was for help, so I asked a lawyer to see what could be done. And he delivered. Full jury trial. It was worth all the back pain and morphine in the world to watch her lie and lie in front of a jury.
They defendant and their insurance are liable for all costs incurred to you. A good settlement would involve all bike and property damages, medical bills, lost work with what you would make, other expenses, and three times the medical bills for yourself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You have to read the fine print for your specific policy/provider. With progressive in Ca mine states that with the option I selected it will pay up to the amount I chose for the rider and passenger separately

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes when the car is the cause for the accident, it's a no brainer but what if the rider is the party is at fault? At the end of the day, it's all about insuring your assets. You can have medical bills easily in the $100K range and of you don't protect yourself, you could have a mortgage on your hands. I started this thread to get people to really scrutinize your own policies. It stated in bold letters on my policy "For you and your passenger" above the PIP coverage but if you read every sentence carefully, you may find that this isn't true. Each state is different and you have to realize that motorcycles don't fall under the "covered automobile" classification.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For my policy its regardless of which party is at fault, it will cover the medical bills up to the amount I selected for both my passenger and I seperately

·
Registered
569 Posts
:headscrtch I thought this was common knowledge.

When you buy liability insurance (the kind you're required to carry) the only thing your insurance company is going to pay for is damage that you do to other people or property.

If you buy comprehensive/collision insurance that covers damage done to your property if you're at fault. It DOES NOT cover injury to yourself.

Personal injury insurance covers injuries you inflict upon yourself.

·
Registered
330 Posts
For this reason, in addition to my normal health insurance, I carry an extended care policy - in the event my hospital stay were to exceed 3 days, I have an additional 211k worth of coverage, which also extends to in home care/rehabilitation. Is it cheap? No, an extra 100 a month. Is it worth it? In my mind yes - I have seen what 2 week hospital stay + in home care for another 2 months did to my brother in laws finances.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts