Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
caught the tail end of a story on the news of a motorcylce wreck where the guy hit a wall and then flip over a bridge and died....did not catch to see if it was a sportbike or not,anyone else got any info on this story

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just saw it on the news this morning. It was a sportbike. There was a group riding at approx. speeds of 120mph, and the guy hit a median, and the bike burst into flames upon contact. To make things even worse, the people he was riding with didnt stop, they just kept going after the wreck. I can understand not wanting a ticket, but come-on, when someone goes down, have respect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
go to the tv5 website for a video report. They say a group of bikes ( 10 to 15 ) were speeding and the last in line lost control and hit the wall on an elevated highway. He was flipped over the wall and fell three stories to his death.
RIP Brother
So many this year!!
Dennis

http://www.kctv5.com/

·
I TOLD YA...
4,670 Posts
yeah thats pretty foul not to stop for someone. i wont rule out the possibility that they didnt know being that they were going a buck twenty and the guy that lost it was in the back. not defending them by no means but they may just not have known. if they did see it or knew he went down then thats a fucked up bunch of riders.

RIP :(

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gixerking said:
yeah thats pretty foul not to stop for someone. i wont rule out the possibility that they didnt know being that they were going a buck twenty and the guy that lost it was in the back. not defending them by no means but they may just not have known. if they did see it or knew he went down then thats a fucked up bunch of riders.

RIP :(
fucked up ain't the word for it

·
Tallahassee Powersports
1,084 Posts
I saw that on the news this morning. I think it was on 670?? The elevated highway. The guy was riding a grn/wht/prp ZRX 11 or 1200, kind of a sportbike. The bike didnt go over the egde, but he did. Landed down on the railroad tracks... RIP

·
Registered
291 Posts
Anyone bother questioning the thought of riding 120 mph on public roads?

Also, this sounds like the classic case of someone of less experience trying to keep up with a more experienced group and losing it where there is no runoff. IMO, it's the group's responsibility to know the skill level of those that they're riding with, and then dial it down to the skill level of the slowest rider...

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
O.W. Kenobi said:
Also, this sounds like the classic case of someone of less experience trying to keep up with a more experienced group and losing it where there is no runoff. IMO, it's the group's responsibility to know the skill level of those that they're riding with, and then dial it down to the skill level of the slowest rider...
THat's exactly what I was thinking about, that's why whenever I do group rides we discuss who has the least experience and feels the least comfortable and let them lead the way, it might have toned down the pace alot, but I'd rather have a safer ride where it is less likely our "new guy" is gonna go down anyways.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
This is exactly why I let people stay ahead of me if I can't keep up. Brandy and bunch dont' take me seroiusly when I say "Don't wait up for me" but the truth its I am NOT going to exceed my own skill level and tackle something I can't do. I am have no close to the amount of skill that I have seen and riden with and I know where I stand in that matter. I will get better and i will learn.

There is a difference between pushing the envelope and making yourself better.

·
Registered
291 Posts
EricKC said:
This is exactly why I let people stay ahead of me if I can't keep up. Brandy and bunch dont' take me seroiusly when I say "Don't wait up for me" but the truth its I am NOT going to exceed my own skill level and tackle something I can't do. I am have no close to the amount of skill that I have seen and riden with and I know where I stand in that matter. I will get better and i will learn.

There is a difference between pushing the envelope and making yourself better.
Unfortunately, not enough people share your view. Too many new riders don't want to be seen as inexperienced, so they try to keep up. It's easy to go WOT in a straight line, but when it comes time to turn or stop, the inexperienced rider is more likely to crash.

I don't claim to be an expert on the KC SBN community's riding habits, but I went along on two rides originating in Olathe, and they both involved what looked like 30+ riders, not many of whom knew each other. In that case, it's hard to know the skill level of everyone in the group. Granted, nobody crashed on those two rides, but it made me wonder whether it was just luck.

I'm more used to smaller group rides where everyone is intimately familiar with everyone else's riding style. If a newcomer is added (and invitations were never extended publicly to just anyone), the group slows down until the newcomer demonstrates the requisite skill level. That way, every member of the group was able to feel safe and also ride without wondering what was going on at the back of the pack. If a newcomer didn't follow group protocol, the group stopped, asked the newcomer to leave, and didn't start riding again until they left. Sounds kind of rigid, but we had very few uncomfortable incidents.

I'm sure that I'm just preaching here, but I figured that it was relevant to share my past experiences elsewhere, in case anyone wanted to implement what I view as safe group riding rules.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The group might have kept going for one they did not know it happend two they could have been accused in some sort of way of manslaughter. The cops saw the whole thing, knew he was with the group, blah blah.

·
F'ckin Videographer, I is
882 Posts
I think the bottom line is "EGO" is what killed him IMO, trying to keep up, didn't want to be left out or behind, luck just ran out for the poor soul.... RIP

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
Eric, I beg to differ, I do take you seriously, that is why you have my cell number. Also, speaking for the Olathe group, as I feel I now have to, if there are a bunch of new faces, as there have been lately, I will walk around and talk to people and feel them out. Talk to them about their bikes, try to get a feel for them and what they are capable of. There has been a couple of instances in the last couple of weeks, including Eric's friend who just bought his bike, that I told them point blank do not come out with us and expect to keep up until you get some skills down.

better yet, don't come out until you get familiar with the bike and get some seat time in and know what you are doing. yes, we are a fast group, in no way am i denying that. and lately, there have been quite a few new faces, but I can say, a few things.

1) we have not had any crashes to speak of from the olathe group as a whole. we had one dude lowside after another guy clipped him and one of our good friends kinda did a stop and drop deal. other than that, we have not had any crashes to speak of. I wouldn't really call that luck. We also will wait up for the last person in the inital runs, then the less experienced riders will break off and leave the rest of us.

2.) There have been quite a few instances, where we have acutally taken a rider aside and told them to lay off a bit b/c we didn't want to pick them up off the pavement. Kuni is right, it is often times ego. I don't want to take care of someone in the ICU b/c their ego overshadowed their judgement, if they can't make a judgement call to back off, I have no qualms about telling them and doing it for them.

now, how does that make me sound? like a bitch right? I am by far not the best rider in the Olathe group, but I can and do hold my own against the fast boys. But, I am the one that will be taking care of someones sorry ass if they end up at KU.

To the dude that died, I am sorry for you and your family. RIP and may you always ride in the golden days of summer eternally.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I Never wish bad on a fellow rider and always feel bad when one goes down it could hapen to any of us. News said the guy was 41 old enough to know the risks something went wrong and his ticket got punched hope i go that way instead of rotting in a old folks home. Still sorry for his friends and families loss.
RIP

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Brandy, Good. I wasn't calling you out but just making a jest and my own ineptitude.

However. Its doesn't really matter right now. Cause I really don't really know when I'm going feel like riding right now.

·
Registered
987 Posts
First off just about everything here is speculation on the groop ride. We dont know if he was trying to keep up had mecanical problems etc. We dont know if he was even riding in a groop as no one stoped. I just dont see a group of people seeing a crash like that and not stopping. I would not really call a ZX11 a sportbike either it looks like one but doesnt exatly handle like one.

As to the cray Olatha croud. For all the crazy riding we do there have ben amazinly few crashes knock on wood. That first ride I take people through is pretty much designed to not push new riders to hard. We stop at stoplights etc to let people catch up. If you have ben there a wile it is very easy to know who is new even if you dont know the people it only takes seconds to know who can ride and who cant. If someone is riding rudely or dangerously they get a warning if they are truly dangerous they will get a specal warning and we might not let them ride with us. I will stop leading or slow down if I something I really dont like and people can pass me at there own risk. I will also warn people to avoid the bad riders and people usually get the hint real quick when they get shunned.

The thing is people are at more risk not riding with a groop of experienced people around them that can give them advice and help. They are going to ride anyway. If your skill level or bike is not up to it dont ride with us it is that simple. If you dont want to take any risks stay home and dream about doing what we do. I am always happy to help people work on there skills or get there bike into shape. Riding fast is not the only fun thing about bikes.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Don't your special warnings usually lead to death?

And yes I was about to comment that this was all speculation anyways.

·
Registered
987 Posts
EricKC said:
Don't your special warnings usually lead to death?
Not always some people listen. If they dont it is not unusual for them to land up in the ICU too. I also give normal warnings though.

·
F'ckin Videographer, I is
882 Posts
From what I can make out of the crash news footage, it was a "ZR" series Kawi, probably ZR1100 or ZR1200. A steel framed muscle bike, I wouldn't call it a sportbike at all, it's a street fighter far as I'm concerned, stop lights to stop lights thing. Unless this guy was Eddie Lawson, I couldn't see doing 100+ in a curve anywhere....

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
arrgggghhhhh
can't find the story....
does anyone know who the downed rider was....

RIP :a2

1 - 20 of 22 Posts