Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this topic has been brought up before but I had to wait at a light today for about 10 minutes while a funeral passed and this motorcycle cop was holding up traffic. The guy was wearing a short sleeve shirt, a half helmet, and the gayest mustache I've ever seen. It looked like he was riding a goldwing, he didn't have gloves on either, why don't cops gear up?

·
Like Bing and Bong
795 Posts
Might hinder their ability to chase someone on foot if it came to it? That and it probably gets uncomfortable if they have to sit in it for long periods.
The bike cops back home all had gear. I think they only wore the jackets when it was cool out though.

·
Registered
533 Posts
usually those funeral bikes are not even cops and you can pass at will!

btw: they don't fully gear up so they can still chase a suspect on foot

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They won't be chasin anyone on foot if they lay down the bike and have roadrash all over their arms, and those horribly ugly boots they wear can't help them chase anything!

O well, at least I'm geared up...

·
Registered
488 Posts
because they ride bike the size of cadillacs, i dont even think their legs are exposed , lol all the have to do is hold on, prob safer than a car..about as quick too.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
njssli22 said:
because they ride bike the size of cadillacs, i dont even think their legs are exposed , lol all the have to do is hold on, prob safer than a car..about as quick too.

In Tally...They are riding BMW sportbikes

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
A California cop interviewed in Two Wheels Only (UK mag) said it's because "we don't expect to crash." :eek:nfloor :lao

I'm sure that attitude is not universal, though.

·
Registered
514 Posts
We do all the service for the police bikes for our Reginal Force.. they are riding big HD Classics. With all the crap on there those bike are a ton around 800+ lbs with the boxes full of gear.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
What a great job, you get to carry a gun (I am from liberal MD), ride a bike and not have to worry about the laws...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
chesus said:
usually those funeral bikes are not even cops and you can pass at will!
Do that around here and you will regret it :bitchslap . Our cops live for these easy tickets. I was part of a funeral line the other day and watched 3 of our 5 cops pull over people for cutting through the line or passing us!

·
Registered
533 Posts
it must be different, there are always funerals on the freeways here being led by a CHP looking bike but in reality its not, people always slow way the fuck down and get scared.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
fotocycle said:
A California cop interviewed in Two Wheels Only (UK mag) said it's because "we don't expect to crash." :eek:nfloor :lao

I want to know ANYONE who expects to crash, in a car, plane, or bike.

[edit] If that's their attitude why do they even wear helmets? In Indiana it isn't a law, why not stop wearing bullet proof vests, I'm sure none of them "expect to get shot", I'm sorry but it makes me mad that they don't set an example for the public.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Here's the MAN!

The ULTIMATE Bike cop... !!

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Funeral cop (Security guard on an old retired cop bike). I believe that is probably law enforcements version of a "squid". I would bet that sooner or later you will begin seeing more motorcycle cops wearing some more sensible types of protective gear since there are more lightweight options available nowadays for a guy who may sit still for 30 minutes (on a slow day) in 100 degree plus heat already wearing a bullet proof vest and 25 pound gunbelt holding a radar gun. Also, the officers themselves may start pushing for it since so many ride off duty and wear gear at those times. Then you have to go through the whole approval process, matching uniform looking deal. You are right though, they should wear it. It seems that when they go down they usually get an ambulance ride.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I think that 30-50 extra pounds of fat would slow down the foot chase more than some gear.

·
Registered
418 Posts
fotocycle said:

Sounds like all the Harley riders I see around here. :lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts