Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... to be riding around in a half helmet and and riding gear. I just walked past a couple of them and all they had was the "CHiPs" style gloves and half helmets... no gear or padding.. just their basic short sleeve uniform and of course the Ray Ban looking glasses. I know I could have posted this in the general forums, but I like the bunch here and I'd like to hear their feedback.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Good point

Well, I guess safety is a common sense thing and not one mandated by law. I know that the motocops in Europe get to wear that nice stylish leather, so it can't be because safety gear would hinder their ability to perform their job. Maybe after one of them spends a week digging gravel, dirt and pebbles out of their arms, there may be a policy to at least wear long sleeve shirts.

·
Registered
320 Posts
There was an article in a recent issue of Motorcyclist magazine about this and how utterly ludicrous it is. I totally agree with that article! It seems really stupid for them to ride around like that - especially considering the sort of dangerous riding they're likely to have to do. At the very least get them some full face helmets with flip up visors so they get some face protection in case they wipe out or get in a shootout. :mg Hell, they'd still have the ability to flip up the visor so they can talk to the victims...er, people they pull over.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
CerebralAssassin said:
Well, I guess safety is a common sense thing and not one mandated by law. I know that the motocops in Europe get to wear that nice stylish leather, so it can't be because safety gear would hinder their ability to perform their job. Maybe after one of them spends a week digging gravel, dirt and pebbles out of their arms, there may be a policy to at least wear long sleeve shirts.
Only a week?
I've heard stories about guys still getting stones surfacing after 20+ years.

·
Registered
457 Posts
My son and I were just talking about this today. While we were, coincidentally, driving out to Alleman Cycle Plex to pick up my FZ6, two cops rode past in ss shirt and half helmet. We talked about it, he and I both agreeing that it seemed really risky behavior.

One thing I've read on other forums is that they don't like to wear jackets because they obstruct their holsters.

It seems to me that they could make special jackets with holsters in the front, diagonally so the cop could pull it out whether standing, running or on the bike.

I think that flip-up helmets would be a great idea. Maybe Harley could start packaging their flip-ups with the bikes they loan to PDs.

·
Respect My Authority!
574 Posts
As Billy Crystal's character from Saturday Night Live used to say..."It is better to look good than to feel good, and you look marvelous." :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
As always people assume cops do things because they as an individual want to do. Politice influence most everything concerning the duties of law enforcement officers. I will tell you exactly why they dont wear gear. Because they will conduct a traffic stop and write some moron a ticket. Afterwards the same moron will file a complait against either the officer or department about the "intimidating" uniform and will probably try to file a lawsuit. I have worn my gear into work and received the comments of even other officers calling me "Robocop" or they make comments about me already bieng in my riot gear. And these are just joking comments. But this moron will do anything he can to get out of a ticket and strike back at the LEO.

Plus somewhere along the line LEOs ultimately work for elected officials. The elected officials want to get re-elected and need the public's vote to do so. The Police/Sheriff's department are one of the most visible representatives of the local goverment (the elected oficial). So they try to keep the public's opinion favorable of the government and are reluctant to have their law enforcement "dressed up like storm troopers" and would rather keep the traditional standard of the police uniform.

·
Squidtastical
349 Posts
Two cops have died in my hometown in the past year. They no longer are able to wear the skid lid style helmet. Now they wear a full face convertible helmet. They still just wear the usual cop short sleeve shirt and pants.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KevinTheCake said:
Two cops have died in my hometown in the past year.
That's so sad. Screw politics and all that stuff. Other cops in the world have riding gear, why can't our police officiers have it. I mean make it look like the winter jackets cops were but with CE armor and kevlar or stuff like that. Same color as the uniform, couple of bad ass badges that represent the town they work for. It is soooooooo unsafe for them, especially when they probably ride much much much more then any of us can in a day, weeks or months. Hey they didn't make cops wear bulletproof vests before until cops started to die but idiots shooting back.. they changed the rules then. I betcha it's gonna take something awful to happen before rules get changes.. but that's always seems how things are changed nowadays.

And by the way, I think cops SHOULD come off intimidating.... not all of them cause some of them do take it to the extreme... .. but especially if some A-hole did something wrong. The police are the enforcers of the law. The only people that should be intimidated are the ones that did something wrong. So why not have Robocop pull the asswipe over for doing 65 in a 30.

·
Registered
141 Posts
taurus574 said:
That's so sad. Screw politics and all that stuff. Other cops in the world have riding gear, why can't our police officiers have it. I mean make it look like the winter jackets cops were but with CE armor and kevlar or stuff like that. Same color as the uniform, couple of bad ass badges that represent the town they work for. It is soooooooo unsafe for them, especially when they probably ride much much much more then any of us can in a day, weeks or months. Hey they didn't make cops wear bulletproof vests before until cops started to die but idiots shooting back.. they changed the rules then. I betcha it's gonna take something awful to happen before rules get changes.. but that's always seems how things are changed nowadays.

And by the way, I think cops SHOULD come off intimidating.... not all of them cause some of them do take it to the extreme... .. but especially if some A-hole did something wrong. The police are the enforcers of the law. The only people that should be intimidated are the ones that did something wrong. So why not have Robocop pull the asswipe over for doing 65 in a 30.
I blame it on the crybaby liberals. You know the ones that demand that the perpetrators have more rights than the victim people. I agree, but everybody seems to love LEOs until they see the blue lights behind them.

·
Registered
320 Posts
DOUGHERTY said:
I blame it on the crybaby liberals. You know the ones that demand that the perpetrators have more rights than the victim people. I agree, but everybody seems to love LEOs until they see the blue lights behind them.
Question for the politicians: What's a life worth? You can put a price on a lawsuit filed by a perp, but you cannot put a price on a life! If wearing the proper gear might save a life, then the LEO's should have the proper f'ing gear! :mad:

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
I've been trying like mad to get my motor guys proper gear for about a year now. It's like beating a half helmet against the pavement.

Virtually no departments in the entire Country wear proper gear. The consensus seems to be that they don't want it and won't wear it.
Most of them ride Hardleys or metric cruisers in their off time and don't see the point of wearing more gear on duty
than they do off duty.
I get the same comments about my gear when I ride in to work. Very frustrating coming from fellow riders,
and Officers who should know better.

Nevertheless, I am continuing in my pursuit of obtaining proper riding/law enforcement gear for the unit.
It's out there, it does exist. I've seen it in Europe and those guys wear full gear without hampering their duties.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Well, DOUGHERTY lived up to his avatar in both posts... absolutely no B.S. there. Our road guys aren't allowed to wear mirrored sunglasses because they've been deemed "too intimidating" by the public. :rolleyes
There is armor that could be worn even with the short sleeved shirts... Icon Field Armor is just one of many of the same concept. All but some sort of elbow protection could be worn (and therefore hidden) under the uniform. Another consideration is that most departments only allow what is issued. If they don't issue the protective gear, they will not authorize it's use by one officer. You WILL use what they issue, and in most cases, ONLY what they issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Crybaby Liberals

DOUGHERTY said:
Of course, in California (home of us "crybaby liberals"), we equip our motorcycle cops appropriately (see link).

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/uniforms.html

I've even seen some where body armor under their uniforms.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
I like the bikes! :dblthumb Nice to see depts moving away from the Harleys and into something a little more appropriate.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's the same thing here in Canada. I've spoken to local traffic members about this issue and get the same "are you nuts?" look when I suggest that they should wear more safety gear. They complain about how hot it gets when you're out on a bike all day or doing radar set-ups. The truth is they love the image. With their riding boots and short-sleeves, they look more like cavalry officers. I agree with other posts that it'll take a tragedy to bring about significant change.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it," applies particularly well to police departments. I should know, I work for one.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
I'd wear shorts and flip flops before I'd wear that tie!!!! Damn, that's some funny shit there. :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
128 Posts
lol, I don't think I've *ever* seen a chipper wearing that tie... they do have the full boots, pants and shirt though, and I've seen a few with armor. Seems like everyone (from the cops to the canyon carvers) seem to take gear more seriously out here.

·
Registered
88 Posts
DOUGHERTY said:
As always people assume cops do things because they as an individual want to do. Politice influence most everything concerning the duties of law enforcement officers. I will tell you exactly why they dont wear gear. Because they will conduct a traffic stop and write some moron a ticket. Afterwards the same moron will file a complait against either the officer or department about the "intimidating" uniform and will probably try to file a lawsuit. I have worn my gear into work and received the comments of even other officers calling me "Robocop" or they make comments about me already bieng in my riot gear. And these are just joking comments. But this moron will do anything he can to get out of a ticket and strike back at the LEO.

Plus somewhere along the line LEOs ultimately work for elected officials. The elected officials want to get re-elected and need the public's vote to do so. The Police/Sheriff's department are one of the most visible representatives of the local goverment (the elected oficial). So they try to keep the public's opinion favorable of the government and are reluctant to have their law enforcement "dressed up like storm troopers" and would rather keep the traditional standard of the police uniform.

This is spot on. My dad is a gwinnett county cop and the fact that they wear the uniforms that they do is a testament to that. Those uniforms are completely without function. I wish it wasn't that way, but it is.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts