Motor Cyclists 2013 Superbike Shootout:

The bikes included (alphabetically):

aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC SE
BMW HP4
Ducati 1199 Panigale R
Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS
KTM RC8R
MV Agusta F4RR

Since they felt compelled to add a Japanese bike to the field of real bikes, at least they picked the best Japanese brand! :D

That was a joke people. We don't anyone crying, especially the Honda fanbio's, because let's face it, no one cries as much as Honda fanboi's. :eek:nfloor

***Spoiler alert***

6th: MV Augusta

5th: KTM

4th: Kawasaki

3rd: Ducati

2nd: aprilia

1st: BMW

I'm under a huge time constraint at the moment so I can't elaborate, but I'm pleased with the results. It's looking like the next bike into my stable will be the RSV4

Reactions: Technomancer

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I am definitely going to be waiting for some more info and i would love to see what events they did with these bikes and in what conditions.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Of course the fucking BMW HP4 won. The bike rides its self, the rider is just there for the automatic self-adjusting suspension and complete and total inability to wreck the bike. Put some handlebar risers on that bitch and go cross country while laughing at people on Goldwings and K1600GT(L) bikes. :p

When you go to get your RSV4 Factory, pick me up one as well, will you?

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Granted, on paper these guys are way more qualified to judge these things than me. On paper. Except it's me riding the fucking bike. And to be honest, I really don't care what a bunch of wet behind the ears children who were in liquid form when I was carving up mountain roads and riding to the far corners of the Earth think about a damn thing.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Without looking, I'd guess the Kawasaki was included because it's the only one of the Japanese liter bikes that's relatively new or newly updated (ABS).

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Formal apology to aprilia for ever spewing the garbage of picking the MV F3 800 as my next bike over my longtime lust puppet, the RSV4.

RT. I'm with ya bud. I'm with ya.

It is good to see KTM sticking to their guns by not turning the RC8-R into the Playstation/Xbox on 2 wheels that most bikes are becoming. That's still going to appeal to A LOT of people like the TVRs and GT3s of old did.

The HP4....*shakes head*....ridiculous.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like the color scheme of the HP4. More then the RSV4 Factory. Probably why I'm getting a RSV4R instead because I can get white instead of only red & black.

I sat on the HP4 at the New York City International Motorcycle Show and felt really comfortable on it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The KTM was just a little more $$$ than the ZX-10R ABS apparently. Cool shootout....I love watching those things. What a bunch of porkers these litre bikes are becoming, though. The Panigale R was the lightest at 431 lbs? My '02 Fireblade is lighter than that, lol. Oh, and one more thing......the Agusta and KTM have some of the ugliest front ends I've seen for a sportbike....yuck.....side profiles are good though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've never really understood the appeal of these motorcycle "shoot outs". People act like the winner of a "shoot out" means that is the best bike and use that as a justification for why they bought a bike. Seems silly to put so much trust into a bunch of strangers who are riding the bikes for you. I'd much prefer to have them evaluate each motorcycle independently and tell me things to watch for when testing, but even then half the time the things they mention that are "problems" are really only issues with the specific press motorcycle they rode which happened to be abused for the past 1000 miles.

There is no substitute for riding the bike yourself and picking the one which speaks to you the most. The shoot out means nothing when you are bonding with your own motorcycle blasting down a canyon road with a huge grin on your face. People who choose bikes based on shoot outs are missing out on a lot of what motorcycling is all about.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
272 Posts
So are you saying that all superbikes are created equal then? While I agree that deciding what bike to get based on a magazine shootout alone is pretty silly, I also believe that they give you a general idea of the differences between them.....and that's pretty useful information.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I've never really understood the appeal of these motorcycle "shoot outs". People act like the winner of a "shoot out" means that is the best bike and use that as a justification for why they bought a bike.
So how's the Honda going? :whistle

They are a bit of a double edged sword but the likely hood of joe average buyer been able to test ride any of these to this extent is slim to none. So they are helpful, not the be all and end all but helpful none the less.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
s1sport, nobody is acting like that. These tests do show things like issues with the MV's clutch and how the RSV4 doesn't seem to have a flat spot. Sure you should sit on a bunch and see what fits you, but street and track testing do assust in showing strengths and weaknesses. As far as it deciding what to buy if it "won", if the CBR1000RR had been included and called the "winner", I still wouldn't be interested in buying one. I've owned two aprilia's and three BMW's (among a dozen others) and my next bike will most likely be from one of those two brands.

Reactions: Dem0nDuck
1 - 20 of 107 Posts