Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Received my Motopak tailbag from the big brown truck today. It is a large bag, easily holds a full face helmet if needed. It appears quality, but zippers don't seem as heavy duty as my Nelson-Riggs tankbag. Several mounting options. I was hoping to utilize the one strap system under the seat, but for whatever reason, the strap is way too short! So I had to utilize the bungees and go between the back tire and seat. I think the bungees are far enough away from the exhaust as to not be damaged. First test will be tomorrow. I only got it because I thought I was going to NC this weekend, but decided to stay local. Here is a pic. Yeah, I know the bag is on backwards, and the bikes lines are smoother the other way, but this is just temporary anyway. The tankbag is my daily bag.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Looks good.

With stuff in those two bags, how many days do you think you could go touring? (I am planning a tour in a few weeks and I have similar luggage volume.)

·
Registered
150 Posts
How does the tank bag hold in place?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
RBC827 said:
How does the tank bag hold in place?
Held by magnets to the tank padded by rubber to prevent shifts, and is loosely strapped to prevent fly-offs. Tank bags holds pretty well.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
segue00 said:
and is loosely strapped to prevent fly-offs.
So THAT'S what that strap on my tank bag is for! I was wondering what the hell was up with that thing. It didn't come with instructions, so I was clueless (moreso than usual).

·
Registered
150 Posts
segue00 said:
Held by magnets to the tank padded by rubber to prevent shifts, and is loosely strapped to prevent fly-offs. Tank bags holds pretty well.
Thanks for answer. How much can I expect to pay for a tank bag? I need a bag and like the looks of it. Do you know if anyone makes a single side saddle bag for the rear?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
RBC827 said:
Thanks for answer. How much can I expect to pay for a tank bag? I need a bag and like the looks of it. Do you know if anyone makes a single side saddle bag for the rear?
Even if they did make a single sided saddle bag, I wouldn't recommend it, unless you're carrying a light load. Loading a bike off balance like that is definitely NOT a good idea.

Check out newenough.com for a lot of luggage options, and some pretty darn good prices too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
04Fizzer said:
Even if they did make a single sided saddle bag, I wouldn't recommend it, unless you're carrying a light load. Loading a bike off balance like that is definitely NOT a good idea.

Check out newenough.com for a lot of luggage options, and some pretty darn good prices too.
Thanks for the advice and website. I like the Joe Rocket tank bag. Very slim but holds what I need it to.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on mounting/strapping the tailbag. I did get the strap (the one I thought was too short) fastened under the seat, but then could not get the seat to latch because of all the extra "stuff" under the seat. So on to plan B. Then I simply tied some insulated wire from the D ring to D ring on each side of the tailbag under the seat. Wah lah, the seat latches, the install looks very clean (no bungees anywhere) and nothing to scratch the grab bars. It is also secure, stayed on at 100 mph this a.m. on the way to work!

·
Registered
777 Posts
No More Bungee Cords!!!

Bungee cords on the FZ6 are fowl!
Go to LuggageLocker.com and they have the most beautiful tail trunks-and NO bungee attachment!
The attachment slides over the rear of the seat like a sock ands fastens underneath.
They also have tank bags that dont touch the tank!
They attach on the gas cap bolt ring(lockable).
Check it out. And then thank me.
Mine is awesome.
Tell Les Ernie sent ya... :cheers

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Will these work with the TCP seat cowl many of us have?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Max, the luggagelocker looks great, but $150 for a tailbag I will use a few times a year, not on my budget. I paid $54 for the MotoPak, plus I went with the Motopak because they help support this site and if I ever get the saddlebags they will clip right into the tailbag. With a little neoprene and some engineering I may "invent" a slip-on version now that you showed me how.

·
Registered
777 Posts
No Hippie, I believe your seat cowl will need to be removed for the Seat Saks.

I respect your opinion wannabe, on the price thing.
I use mine regularly for my work lunch box, rainsuit, extra gloves, walking shoes, etc.
Once you have tried the Luggage Locker Elite Seat Sak you would be a believer.
Oh, and its American made(might explain the price).
We all price pointed ourselves on the FZ6 LOL, so for me I will buy some top quality accessories here and there(not knocking Motopak) with the thousands saved.
I'll work on getting a up close pic with it mounted on my FZ tomorrow.

·
Registered
230 Posts
wannabeFZ6 said:
Update on mounting/strapping the tailbag. I did get the strap (the one I thought was too short) fastened under the seat, but then could not get the seat to latch because of all the extra "stuff" under the seat. So on to plan B. Then I simply tied some insulated wire from the D ring to D ring on each side of the tailbag under the seat. Wah lah, the seat latches, the install looks very clean (no bungees anywhere) and nothing to scratch the grab bars. It is also secure, stayed on at 100 mph this a.m. on the way to work!
Great Tailbag! Would this be suitable for use as a gym bag? In other words, is it easily removeable for everyday use like packing gym clothes, lunch etc? If not, anyone have suggestions ( I like the Luggage Locker Elite Seat Sak, but $150, come on I'm a cheap bastard) :) :cheers

:newbie :cheers

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheapbastard, the way the bag comes stock, easy removal is not an option, but I am sure it could be rigged someway to facilitate easy removal. It has the slip-in "female"clips/buckles on it for attachment to the saddlebags. Allyou would need is a "male" clip with straps affixed under the seat and you would have a quick release set-up. I just use my tank bag for a carry in bag, but mine probably wouldn't carry all that you mentioned, though it does have an expansion zipper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts