Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else make it out to the MotoGP races this weekend at Laguna Seca? Amazing to see them and how much they've change since the last time I saw them there in '89. Also amazing how much closer lap times are between the AMA guys and the MotoGP guys!

Good time, great races and it looks like they may finally have the "traction" they've needed to keep the US in their circuit. And a big thumbs up to Yamaha for their donation to allow the track to be updated and bring this world event back to the US !!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a feeling, that Laguna Seca will not be included for the 2006 Championship.

I like the circuit, but I also think that it could be improved.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The riders had very positive comments about the track. From a MotoGP official standpoint, the incredible spectator turnout justifies inclusion in the circuit (something they didn't have 10 years ago). Look at the Chinese turnout at their new facility...it was horrible. Granted, conditions were also poor, but it all comes down to visibility = dollars (or euros, yen, pounds, etc)!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Just the mention of motogp makes me infuriated. We were so close to getting the race here in Birmingham. Grats to our fucking ignorant faggots that run our city. They couldnt fork up 350,000 for 20 million in revenue for the city.

·
Registered
376 Posts
"After the event Rossi started legal proceedings to have the circuit removed from the 2006 MotoGP calendar on safety grounds - a tactic often used by the world champion to get rid of tracks his doesn't like"

·
Registered
169 Posts
BluFireF4 said:
"After the event Rossi started legal proceedings to have the circuit removed from the 2006 MotoGP calendar on safety grounds - a tactic often used by the world champion to get rid of tracks his doesn't like"
Everybody uses it.. why can't he? Oh let me guess... He doesn't ride a Honda, is that it ?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Megatron said:
Everybody uses it.. why can't he? Oh let me guess... He doesn't ride a Honda, is that it ?
WHat are you going on about? I just posted that as someone said it may not be back and I had just happen to see it. I myself AM a Rossi fan so I wasnt shitting on him.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The crux of the matter is that LS is a difficult track. It's definitely not the fastest track (I don't think they went above 5th gear), but I think most of the riders like the challenge. Rossi is one of the greatest riders in the sport and I was surprised to hear him make that claim on Friday/Saturday. I never heard what the specifics of his claim were. LS made many, many changes to increase safety. They shaved the "oh shit" bumpers down, increased the run-off areas, as well as many other things. I am a Rossi fan, but feel like he was having a "sour grapes" weekend. This is a track most of those guys have never ridden so of course they are going to be slower. Until I know where his (and I think 1 or 2 others) complaints lie, I consider them unfounded...

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
I agree with them to a point. The track is very boring. There is only one or two places to overtake. Its narrow also, compared to Euro tracks.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Rossi doesn't like the track?

BluFireF4 said:
Are you sure it wasn't Marco Melandri who filed the safety complaints? He was very vocal about its problems. I think most of the riders were concerned about the track, and for 3 valid (IMHO) reasons I heard of: 1. There are some concrete walls which should be replaced w. impact absorbing/break away barriers. 2. The track is too narrow in key spots where riders would like to pass. 3. Sand and dirt from the surrounding hills make their way onto the track. All 3 of these issues could be addressed.

From what Rossi said after the race on MotoGP website, he seemed confident that he had learned some of the track's secrets. He didn't seem down on it at all. I'd be disappointed if they drop Laguna Seca next year. This one was a total blast. Did anyone by chance record a copy of the race? :popcorn

·
Registered
157 Posts
bugduc said:
Anyone else make it out to the MotoGP races this weekend at Laguna Seca? Amazing to see them and how much they've change since the last time I saw them there in '89. Also amazing how much closer lap times are between the AMA guys and the MotoGP guys!

Good time, great races and it looks like they may finally have the "traction" they've needed to keep the US in their circuit. And a big thumbs up to Yamaha for their donation to allow the track to be updated and bring this world event back to the US !!
+1 to Yamaha. Nicky said a while back the track times should be close due to the short straight and technical nature of the track. The races were awesome. The last one with Disalvo catching Hayden in the last turn was sweat.

7/8 days 2100+ miles on the FZ6. I'm guessing the TPS crapped out about 1000 miles into it. Current estimated milage 14,600.

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
I always thought Laguna was a cool track. Very technical. Don't watch much motogp. Not that I don't want to, I just never seem to know when its on tv.

·
Tire Wear Limit Tester
52 Posts
That's where tivo becomes your friend :cheers

I was there at Laguna Seca... because I've never been to motogp, I didn't know if it'd be good to bring my bike. BOY was I wrong. Next year, on go the saddlebags, tie up the sleeping bag and tent to the back, get a tank bag and have at it. I drove a car from Phoenix, AZ to Monterey, CA... talk about a wasted bike trip, that was gorgeous. 11 hours, but still gorgeous. I could have saved 1 hour per day just riding the bike into Laguna Seca instead of taking those buses in through the massively crowded in-roads.

·
Tire Wear Limit Tester
52 Posts
ejworthen said:
arkane1234 said:
That's where tivo becomes your friend :cheers
What do you put for the program name on the TIVO?
I created a recording of the genre sports/motorcycles. I go through the listings every so often and deselect the stuff I don't want to watch, like supercross. I have DirecTV Tivo. It comes up as "Motorcycle Racing", but the description shows MotoGP. I also record the FIM races, which are about the same, it seems.

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
arkane1234 said:
I created a recording of the genre sports/motorcycles. I go through the listings every so often and deselect the stuff I don't want to watch, like supercross. I have DirecTV Tivo. It comes up as "Motorcycle Racing", but the description shows MotoGP. I also record the FIM races, which are about the same, it seems.
Thanks, going to set this up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts