Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow will be the first ever MotoGP race I'll see in real life and I'm packing my shit to go see it. The girlfriend is coming too. There's a good chance it'll be raining.

Need I mention how psyched I am? :tremble Last week I started on the fingernails and now I'm halfway through the knuckles.

Pictures and video will come.

Reactions: MegaManX

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I know he's gonna win, but that doesn't bother me. I wanna see how he does it:nerd

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Seeing a GP in person is something everyone should do at least once in their life.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay guys, I'm back. I brought a whole lotta footage with me. It's a busy weekend for me and I need to learn video editing. I have footage of moto3, moto2 and motogp as well as general shenanigans. And a job interview. I'll get started on regurgitating all awesome shit I have from today over the course of the coming week.

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
I was honestly surprised how quiet they were. I think I've been around too many jet aircraft or something.
how close to the track were you? I thought they were incredibly loud but it may have been the tracks i watch from. Indy is an echo chamber if you are in the grandstands and Valencia so small you can't get away from the noise.

·
Registered
951 Posts
how close to the track were you? I thought they were incredibly loud but it may have been the tracks i watch from. Indy is an echo chamber if you are in the grandstands and Valencia so small you can't get away from the noise.
We did most of our watching at COTA on the hill between 9 and 10, which Google Earth puts at about 150' from the track.

The best sound I got at COTA was at T11. Not a great viewing spot since there's a huge runoff area, but having the bikes go rocketing down the long straight with their pipes pointed at me was pretty much an orgasmic experience.

I will say that the bikes were noticeably louder on race day than the previous days. The difference? The sky was overcast instead of mostly clear. The effect is substantial.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My God that took a while to get that video finished. Video editing is a pain in the ass... on Windows Movie Maker, on an inept laptop from 1955. But anyway...

Turn on subtitles! Or you won't get the chatter at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg6hkRajwSg

About the noise, as much of a petrolhead I am, even I had to wear earplugs during the MotoGP race. As the riders got back on the throttle at corner exit, it was starting to hurt during the Moto2 race. MotoGP finished me off. They really are bloody loud and the pitch will straight up damage you. It's that awesome.

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
Thanks for putting that together and sharing. It looks like it was a lot of fun even though it was damp. Any photos from your trip or just the video?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hi, there are photos too but I haven't retrieved them yet. They're at my gf's place on her $2000 looking Canon. I'll try to get her to bring it next time she comes round my place. May take a while to filter the good ones out.

Between the end of the Moto3 race and the sighting lap for Moto2 there was a total downpour for about 5 minutes which doused the track so much there were marshalls wiping the standing water off the track with brooms. Quite a lot of crashes most of them happening in Moto3 and 2, the highsided rider in the video limping away happened right in front of me. Felt bad for the kid. Conditions were anything but easy, with a wet/damp track, temperatures barely at 20C and unpredictable weather. You do get to see who's willing to risk it a little more than others.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts