Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I was watching the last MotoGp race of the season and I noticed some of the riders doing something that I have seen before, but it seems like they are doing it more and more these days.

It's usually when they are braking hard at the end of a long straight before a left hand turn. Some of the riders will actually stick their left foot out (taking if off of the peg, looks like a dirt technique or something). I searched around the internet and found a few guesses such as they may be shifting weight to the inside of the turn or getting their foot under the shifter to downshift, but no one seemed to be able to give a definitive answer. Not all of the riders do this, and some only do it a little, but a few of them will really hang their leg out.

Any ideas?? On a side note, it was kind of a boring race. I was hoping Hayden would do better, but Stoner and Pedrosa were so far out there no one was going to catch them.

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
'GP shift' means your actually upshifting while braking, that means your foots under the shift lever during intense braking. Their pulling their foot out from under the shifter AFTER completing shifting then out-stretching before getting it positioned properly on the peg to be on the inside of the turn. From what I heard there can be issues with getting your foot out from under the shifter during the intense braking their experiencing and even possible leg cramping, so they stretch their leg quickly.

That's what I heard one of the announcers saying was the reason during a past race. :)

·
Banned
19,161 Posts
Bayliss does it all the time as well, I think it is for cramping. Not sure though.

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
I think it was a recent issue of Road Racing World that had someone write in that very question. The response was something along the lines of the inertial force generated by heavy breaking accounted for part of it.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I always assumed they did it to get their foot out from under the shifter.
I didn't need confirmation, I knew I was right..:twofinger

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
watching it i feel like they're braking so late into the corner that it's sort of like a safety measure to catch themselves if they lose the front end. that's probably not right but just an idea.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
There was a discussion on this i read in another forum. Its really just to stretch the riders foot/legs and make adjustments. If you think about it, and if you are riding properly like these racers do, your body weight is all in your legs, never in your hands. It makes your feet tired a lot faster, with all the movements and shifting gears so they would stretch they're foot after downshifting right before the turn.

One of the things i've also learned from my track instructors is that you have to be constantly adjusting your foot position since at the track you use your feet to switch the bike from one side to the other (i.e. during switchbacks and chicanes).

Contrary to the belief that they stick it out like dirtbike riders, that is actually dangerous to do on a race bike, that is why you stick you knee out instead of your foot during turns. If you stuck your foot during a lean, you will most likely get injured!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I can see sticking it out to get out from underneath the shifter. I know when I first switched to GP shift on my current bike I found myself catching my boot on the shifter from trying to come back up and getting it on the peg. Didn't really matter at the speeds I was going, but could be a real problem when starting to push it.

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
the streatching idea is wrong. they only do it with the left foot from what I see.
Because that's the only foot their upshifting with during hard braking.

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
When you say "upshifting" you mean moving the shift lever up which is actually downshifting...right?
Correct, I was refering to the physical action going on with their foot.

It's one thing to do the 'upshifting' action 1 gear at a time during acceleration with the standard shifting pattern that came stock from the factory on most bikes (for example from 3rd to 4th), but doing multiple ones quickly with a 'GP shift pattern' during hard braking (for example from 6th to 2nd) is a bit more challenging and could cause cramping. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts