Sport Bikes banner

Who's gonna win in Istanbul?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Rossi has re-asserted himself as the man to beat...And the Ducs look like they've lost their edge...So who's it going to be this week?..Is it time for Nicky to show up?...Or is that Honda made for his teammate Dani and not him?

And what about Stoner and the Ducs?...Is that power going to be re-found?

Last year the podium was...
1. Melandri
2. Stoner
3. Hayden

IF Hayden's bike is dialed in to his liking, he's on the podium...

1. Rossi
2. Hayden
3. Pedrosa

·
Blue Wheels
497 Posts
I wish I could say Hopkins, but I really think the course is perfect for the Ducati powerband. Because of that, I'll put my vote on Stoner even though I don't really have faith in his consistency.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Ahh, but the Doctor has yet to taste victory in Turkey. Hayden has been quoted as liking the layout, and I think it is a must win for him.

"Istanbul Park is quite a cool track, especially with that fast fifth gear corner," said the Repsol Honda rider. "On the 990cc bike that corner was wild, though on these bikes it might not really be a corner any more - it'll be interesting to see how the 800s feel through there.

"It's a really good track and I like the layout because it's got some serious elevation changes," he continued. "Turn's One's really technical and TV doesn't really do that corner justice. People at home on the couch don't really see how blind the entry is and what a drop off there is, so that's pretty fun. It's been a decent track to me in the past and I'm looking forward to racing there again."
The question mark still stands for the Ducs. Can Stoner run away w/ it?

Sooo, I will go out on a limb and pick Hayden for this one. I'm just hopping that once the practice starts I don't regret it.

·
Registered
732 Posts
OK, here's a shot in the dark:

1. Stoner
2. Rossi
3. Pedrosa

Stoner was strong here last year, and he's got a bike that he's capable of winning with this year. I expect him to at least podium this race. Rossi is on the warpath this season, and ran well here last year despite qualifying 11th. Pedrosa - love him or hate him, he'll be in the hunt.

One guy I didn't mention is Melandri. Will this be his breakout race? That's a tough one.

Hayden absolutely has to finish top five in this race. If he doesn't then his season is over.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I don't know about his season being over even if he fucks up, it's only the third race, still too early to tell.

I want Hayden to take it or at least podium.

Rossi will probably podium. Hopkins will hopefully podium.

I hope Pedrosa doesn't podium, and I hope Colin Edwards either doesn't podium, or if he is up there then I hope he wins since he still never has yet.

I hope stoner gets stoned the night before and can't race. :)

Final Results:

1. Hayden
2. Rossi
3. Hopkins

Wishful I know, but it would be cool. Or Hopkins beating Rossi, that would be even cooler.

·
Nihongo Hanaseruzo!
1,465 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Capi comes outta nowhere and podiums. He's another guy who needs to do something or things don't look good for him.

So,

1. Stoner
2. Rossi
3. Capirossi

Pedrosa crashes out. I know he's going to one of these times. :p And as always I'm just HOPING Hayden will do something. He's been training with Freddie Spencer this past month...maybe that will show some results.

·
Dongsy Normous
745 Posts
Hopper.

I will not give up on him. simply will not. I have voted him to win in every poll this season, and i will continue. He WILL win this year. that being said....

1. Hopkins
2. Hayden
3. Melandri

·
Registered
36 Posts
alright my first time chiming in on one of these. I say:
1. Pedrosa
2. Rossi
3. Hayden or Melandri w/Stoner not far behind either one of these 2

I know Im clear as mud on my podium decision, but that just means there are alot of great riders that are capable of taking any given race.

·
Registered
732 Posts
booser4 said:
I don't know about his season being over even if he fucks up, it's only the third race, still too early to tell.
I disagree. If Hayden doesn't do something this race then his championship hopes are over. Top five is bare minimum for him, and to be more realistic I'd say that he's got to podium to be a factor.

Here's my reasoning. Hayden isn't the most naturally talented racer out there. He's consistent, conservative, and hard working, and won last season by consistently placing on the podium, not by winning the most races. He's not the kind of guy that can make up a large point deficit quickly. He's got to grind out top five finishes over the course of the entire season in order to be in contention.

If Hayden falls too far behind early in the season he won't be able to climb back up by winning races, since that's not his strength. A guy like Rossi, or maybe even Pedrosa, has the talent to come back from a large deficit, but I don't think that Hayden is one of those guys. It's not that I don't like him, it's just that I recognize what his strengths and weaknesses are, and falling behind early in the season does not play to his strengths.

The other factor that plays against Hayden is that Rossi is on a tear this season. If his equipment is working for him then only a bad crash would keep Rossi from winning the championship this year. You've also got young guys like Pedrosa and Stoner (if he can prove his consistency) coming on strong, and they'll only get stonger as the season goes on and they gain more experience. The competetition will only get better as the season progresses, which means that if Hayden can't get it done early then he'll be a non-factor in the championship hunt.

·
Assume the position
559 Posts
Agreed Hayden needs to get it together and get on the podium. The Ducs will as stated be able to run strong on this circuit, but I think Rossi is going to adjust ...

1.Rossi
2.Capirossi
3.Melandri

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
1. Pedrosa
2. Rossi
3. Elias
Hayden won't make the podium until Laguna. Probably won't make podium there etheir.

·
rebel litre
3,748 Posts
1.rossi
2.stoner
3. pedrosa
4.melandri
5.hayden( even though i'm pulling for him)
6. capirossi

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
FP2. FP1 was damp.

1. Casey Stoner AUS Ducati Marlboro Team (B) 1min 54.200 secs
2. Loris Capirossi ITA Ducati Marlboro Team (B) 1min 54.979 secs
3. John Hopkins USA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP (B) 1min 55.062 secs
4. Valentino Rossi ITA Fiat Yamaha Team (M) 1min 55.120 secs
5. Toni Elias SPA Gresini Honda (B) 1min 55.158 secs
6. Olivier Jacque FRA Kawasaki Racing Team (B) 1min 55.651 secs
7. Chris Vermeulen AUS Rizla Suzuki MotoGP (B) 1min 55.707 secs
8. Alex Hofmann GER Pramac d'Antin MotoGP (B) 1min 55.736 secs
9. Dani Pedrosa SPA Repsol Honda Team (M) 1min 55.865 secs
10. Marco Melandri ITA Gresini Honda (B) 1min 55.910 secs
11. Kenny Roberts USA Team Roberts (M) 1min 56.071 secs
12. Randy de Puniet FRA Kawasaki Racing Team (B) 1min 56.225 secs
13. Alex Barros BRA Pramac d'Antin MotoGP (B) 1min 56.233 secs
14. Nicky Hayden USA Repsol Honda Team (M) 1min 56.312 secs
15. Colin Edwards USA Fiat Yamaha Team (M) 1min 56.320 secs
16. Carlos Checa SPA Honda LCR (M) 1min 56.555 secs
17. Makoto Tamada JPN Dunlop Tech 3 Yamaha (D) 1min 56.923 secs
18. Shinya Nakano JPN Konica Minolta Honda (M) 1min 56.936 secs
19. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Dunlop Tech 3 Yamaha (D) 1min 57.245 secs

8 Bridgestone riders in the top 10. I think we might be witnessing a change in the guard when it comes to tires.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Anyone know what happend to Rossi during FP1? He was way back in 17th place which is really weird for him.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts