Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what's on my mind.......

First, this track is fairly new and only a few have tested on it - No races. So the very 1st practice is going to tell us A LOT about what to expect in terms of possible finishing order.

Now, how 'bout the Marquez guy? I mean, holy F people, this kid is crazy fast. Is there anyone that actually has a chance against him? Maybe if Lorenzo doesn't crash or get an itchy tr***** finger (or wrist as it may be :D), we can find out. It's quite the oddity that we are 2 races into the season and we have no idea just how good or bad JLo is on the Yamaha this season.

Next up is that guy Rossi. Age has truly reduced him from a win it or bin it approach, to a guy that talks about tire wear after a race. He knows all too well that a 21 year old can bounce back from a high speed crash, whereas a 35 year old might need a long recovery to even think about getting back in the saddle. He has clearly lost his edge :(

And who can forget that little girl wearing an eternal bridesmaid dress? She's so cute, all 5'2", racing around on her little motor-sickle that was specifically designed for her. I'd like to find a reason to be a fan, but over the years, I've found that it's just not meant to be. Maybe she can follow Nicky to WSBK while she still has championship ability.

And who can forget good 'ol Cal? Well, forget him for this race. His dislocated finger was also broken and he had some hardware put in. He can only hope to be ready for Jerez.

Another thing I can think of is this new track in Argentina. "Termas de Rio Hondo" if you will. It appears to be another Honda type track that MM will likely dominate in convincing fashion.

Lastly, the spec tire rule and Bridgestone are a disgrace to GT. Bridgestone has and is supplying tires that are pathetic. This failure to provide a quality product is altering race results for no other reason than their product is a piece of sh*t. Bridgestone and the spec tire rule need to go.

But, these are just my worthless thoughts. What say you?

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I seem to recall Vale charging for a podium before his tire went all fucked.
That's not to say he woulda made it any higher than where he was anyway. shit does happen.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be fair, lots of people were talking about tire wear after that race. Most of the paddock, actually. And most of the media.
Very true. And post race pictures show the tire damage on countless bikes. But MM kept pushing harder on those damaged tires, whereas Vale backed off, and then dropped, and dropped, and dropped and......

Rossi lost confidence and didn't push it. A younger version of him wouldn't have done that.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I seem to recall Vale charging for a podium before his tire went all fucked.
Yup, he was blasting away. But as soon as he thought there might be a chance if crashing, he slowed. Old Vale wouldn't have done that. I had to dust off the DVD and watch "Faster" just to remember how hard he used to ride.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Compare photos, Marquez' tire wasn't nearly as bad. The front on that Yamaha was in horrible shape. Might have to wait another few races to really see where Rossi is at IMO. 2 races into the season isn't a good indicator of how the rest of it will play out.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Very true. And post race pictures show the tire damage on countless bikes. But MM kept pushing harder on those damaged tires, whereas Vale backed off, and then dropped, and dropped, and dropped and......

Rossi lost confidence and didn't push it. A younger version of him wouldn't have done that.
Oh bullshit. The tires weren't the same. They weren't anywhere close to the same. Do I need to post the pic of Redding's tire again?

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The tires weren't the same. They weren't anywhere close to the same. Do I need to post the pic of Redding's tire again?
Nah. I'll post pics of Rossi's tire and also of Marquez.

Rossi's

Marquez

Both have extensive wear. But Marquez kept pushing because he's young and bulletproof. And Rossi used to be that way, but times have changed. There's a time in a racers life when the thought of crashing outweighs the the thought of winning. I truly believe Rossi has reached that point.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Rossi's tire looks worse. The feathering looks way deeper, and there is chunking. You can overheat the surface of the tire without causing significant carcass damage, but things start deconstructing from the inside out when the entire carcass loses integrity.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Nah. I'll post pics of Rossi's tire and also of Marquez.

Rossi's

Marquez

Both have extensive wear. But Marquez kept pushing because he's young and bulletproof. And Rossi used to be that way, but times have changed. There's a time in a racers life when the thought of crashing outweighs the the thought of winning. I truly believe Rossi has reached that point.

thanks for posting those again!

With a good look, while the feathering on the outside looks to be about the same width (representing the same % of available tread, that is), it is more severe on Vales.
And where marquez has a tire that looks like it has picked up a marble or two on a rather smooth, albeit worn, centre, Vales looks to be well on it's way to chunking out.

While it isn't as strong a contrast as we sometimes make it out to be, the fact that multiple riders had issues with the front makes it a b***** deal. remove the riders, and just think in terms of bikes affected.

Why did half the field have issues with a spec tire? this is not an open series, it's not as if the Dunlops didn't compete well with the Bridgestones, while the Pirellis simply had a great day because they were the best tool for the job.

The Bridgestones didn't compete well with the Bridgestones, while the Bridgestones simply had a great day because they were the right tool for the job.

THAT'S what gets me. Coulda been Crutchlow up there in 4th charging for a podium spot 8 laps in.
Coulda been Hayden.

Fuck, coulda been Lorentho. :p

doesn't matter. the front tire was dropping off after 1/3 race distance. that ain't right.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pred and Mullet - I agree that in the photos posted that Rossi's tire appears to be more damaged than MM's. I also agree that it ain't right that the tires are garbage, and it's affecting so many riders. Having said that, it's undeniable that both riders suffered considerable deterioration of the front wheel.

And all I'm saying is that the tire issue played on Rossi's mind more than MM. He knows he's older and that the risk of a devastating injury is high, so he slowed his pace. MM, however, doesn't have the same perspective. Being young and healthy kept his throttle turned further throughout the race even though grip was an issue.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Lastly, the spec tire rule and Dunlop are a disgrace to GT. Dunlop has and is supplying tires that are pathetic. Dunlops failure to provide a quality product is altering race results for no other reason than their product is a piece of sh*t. Dunlop and the spec tire rule need to go.

But, these are just my worthless thoughts. What say you?

Uhh, Not much sleep lately L8? Don't you mean BRIDGESTONE, not Dunlop?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Pred and Mullet - I agree that in the photos posted that Rossi's tire appears to be more damaged than MM's. I also agree that it ain't right that the tires are garbage, and it's affecting so many riders. Having said that, it's undeniable that both riders suffered considerable deterioration of the front wheel.

And all I'm saying is that the tire issue played on Rossi's mind more than MM. He knows he's older and that the risk of a devastating injury is high, so he slowed his pace. MM, however, doesn't have the same perspective. Being young and healthy kept his throttle turned further throughout the race even though grip was an issue.
I think you're reading much more into it then needs to be. Rossi's tire looks like it's about to fall apart...

Granted, MM has b***** balls then any racer in the world. But that doesn't mean Rossi has lost any edge. He fought like a dog in Qatar.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It's a little difficult to tell from those pictures how much worse Rossi's tire was than MM. The Rossi picture is taken much closer to the tire and shows more detail of the wear. The picture of MM's tire is taken from a further distance and at a different angle. I'm not saying that Rossi didn't have more wear, I'm just saying that those 2 pictures don't really make for a reliable comparison.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
It's a little difficult to tell from those pictures how much worse Rossi's tire was than MM. The Rossi picture is taken much closer to the tire and shows more detail of the wear. The picture of MM's tire is taken from a further distance and at a different angle. I'm not saying that Rossi didn't have more wear, I'm just saying that those 2 pictures don't really make for a reliable comparison.
Reliable enough that we are in unanimous agreement that one was much worse than the other.

L8, while I agree that youth brings a special kind of invulnerability to a racer, and I also agree that age brings wisdom in the form of "it's the 2nd fucking race of the season, fuckit", I don't think any racer who wants that championship is gonna back off for any reason beyond "this thing is gonna bin it".

Youth pushes that thought further back in the mind, I won't argue with you. But no racer backs off from 4th to 8th within 1 lap unless he has a real and true issue.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
I would think riding style and rider weight played roles in the degradation of those tires.

Reactions: stnkbg1
1 - 20 of 85 Posts