Sport Bikes banner

The. 2013 MotoGP champion will be

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's the last race of the season, and the championship is on the line. So let's get the thread started early and talk about whether or not the sensational rookie Marc Marquez can compose himself enough to come in 4th or better. Because that's all he has to do to become the 1st rookie to win the championship since Kenny Roberts in 1978.

Or will Jorge Lorenzo pull the magical rabbit out of his hat?

Discuss.

·
Registered
951 Posts
The championship is definitely Marc's to lose. IMO it'll take some kind of act of God for him to get knocked off. The kid seems to be immune to pressure, at least in terms of catastrophic problems. He's made small mistakes that cost him positions, but only one that cost him big-time (I'm not counting the PI clusterfuck because I consider that a shared team mistake).

I wonder if JLo is passing Bautista large amounts of money for a favor right now... :D

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
It's funny how most of those publications get the same quotes and just re-word them from each other so that they're all pretty much saying the same things about the same quotes as everybody else, but with slightly different headlines. Emmett is the only guy that thinks outside the box and gives meaningful feedback about things.

·
Registered
951 Posts
It's funny how most of those publications get the same quotes and just re-word them from each other so that they're all pretty much saying the same things about the same quotes as everybody else, but with slightly different headlines. Emmett is the only guy that thinks outside the box and gives meaningful feedback about things.
This is a pretty general trend right now. Look at how many websites have popped up in recent years that do nothing except link to another site, quote the article, and provide a line or two of bland commentary. Then they slap ads on it and rake in cash.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I will be rooting for Lorenzo. As much as I am grateful for MM coming in and raising the performance of the series, I can't help but think that his "aggressive" style is a little dirty and a little unnecessary considering his talent. Plus, I think he is going to dominate the coming years and losing the championship to a resurgent Lorenzo this year makes a better story.

Once Honda gets more time to suit the Honda to MM the same way that Yamaha has suited the M1 to Lorenzo, it is all over. The Honda is a superior bike but this has been offset because the Yamaha is immaculately suited to Lorenzo's style. I don't think Rossi is too old or lacking in abilities, but simply no longer in tune with a bike that has evolved into a more clinical style.

I am going to wait and see how Pol Espargaro performs next year before I pass my final judgment on MM. It may end up that high performing rookies moving up from the rougher Moto2 world all start out a little dirty in MotoGP:)

What I really want is a non-Spaniard to root for in addition to the Espargaro brothers next year.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Apparently you haven't seen Jlo ram into MM a handful of times this season. MM doesn't ride dirty. He's made some mistakes but that's to be expected.

His style is exciting and terrifying to watch, why would you want that to go away? I'm hoping Pol and Redding bring the same type of style next season.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
I voted MM would win the championship, but I really hope someone from somewhere other than Spain wins the race. I am tired of hearing the Spanish National Anthem. :stop

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Apparently you haven't seen Jlo ram into MM a handful of times this season. MM doesn't ride dirty. He's made some mistakes but that's to be expected.

His style is exciting and terrifying to watch, why would you want that to go away? I'm hoping Pol and Redding bring the same type of style next season.
I agree, I want the Lorenzos and Pedrosas of the sport to go away. Skilled, yes. But boring. All these Moto2 guys have a similar style to Marquez, expect to see a lot more of it as time goes by and more Moto2 guys move up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
What better storyline can there be than a 20 year old rookie showing up and destroying every rookie record on the books? I cant understand how anyone would think that Lorenzo winning another championship in rather clinical and non-exciting style would be a better story than that. I really didn't wanna like Marquez because of all the special treatment he got coming into the series, but he has totally lived up to the hype and actually made the racing exciting again.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I'm not sure what to think about that. Burgess has been wanting to retire for a few years now since his wife got sick. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

Rossi is transitioning from a rider to a team owner. Maybe he's looking to work with a new crew chief who will then work with his team after he retires as a rider?

Reactions: aLive

·
Registered
951 Posts
I'm not sure what to think about that. Burgess has been wanting to retire for a few years now since his wife got sick. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

When I first saw the headline, my assumption was that JB was retiring and/or wanting to spend more time at home. I was surprised that the article strongly implied that it was a decision by Rossi.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts