Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of lap times were the 500cc 2 strokes turning compared to the new 990cc 4 strokes? I heard that the 2 strokes were making around 230hp whereas the new 4 strokes are only making around 240hp, some even less. I would imagine that the 2 strokes were a good deal lighter as well but if they were still competitive I guess we would still see them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think the Honda NSR500 was making about 190rwhp or so but the powerband on those things is like a lightswitch. Not sure on the exact lap time differences but the 4-strokes broke every lap record the first time out.

·
Registered
544 Posts
cole said:
I would imagine that the 2 strokes were a good deal lighter as well but if they were still competitive I guess we would still see them.
You basically answered the question with that last statement. The 4-strokes have continually lowered lap times at the tracks as the years have passed. Although the 2-strokes had lots of power and very little weight, they didn't have the smoother throttle delivery of the 4-strokes. Simply put, the 4-strokes are easier to ride fast.

If you get a chance, watch the movie "Faster." It's a documentary of the 2001 and 2002 seasons; the last year for 500cc and the first year for MotoGP. It will probably answer some questions and teach you a lot about the MotoGP series and some of the riders in it. Here is a recent thread discussing the movie: http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4181

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Get a copy of the movie "faster" and all your questions will be answered...

If you really like Moto GP, this is a must have...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts