Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another year has passed and our usual group here at SBN didn't disappoint. I still love this site and the MotoGP threads are always reminding me why. Thanks to all the members who contribute :cheers

And here's my thoughts on this season.....

It was, and wasn't, what I expected. I don't think anyone thought Marquez wouldn't repeat as he did. The kid is just on another level right now, and the Honda suited him to a T. Personally, I'm surprised he didn't crash more. Watching him ride lines that are unconventional, and then somehow save the bike time after time was both astounding and exhilerating at the same time :D. I credit the Honda bike for being so stable and saving his ass many times throughout the year. So, until he has that major crash that shakes him up, he's going to be the guy to beat for some time.

Having said all that, I don't think anyone would have honestly said Vale would be the runner up. Dude is 35 years old, and his best days are truly behind him. Injuries and the Simoncelli nightmares would be more that enough for any racer to say "I'm done". But he's got the drive of a true champion, and he's still got some fight left. I'm excited for next year as you just don't see an old dude fighting for the win against 21 years old very often. Much respect to him :bowdown

JLo. The 1st half of the year was a disaster. Both he and the media reported that he was overweight and out of shape. Maybe he lost a little focus after MM gave that 1st year smackdown on everyone. Who knows? Dosen't matter though. Jorge would regroup and do his own beatdowns the 2nd half of the season. The kind of riding we all expected. He's still a contender, and next year I don't expect him to slow down.

And then there's little man - - - - - - you know who - - - - yup.....Dani. This guy has been in the top 3 almost every year he's raced in the GP circuit. He's got 3 world championships in the lower classes, but nothing more than a couple of "maybe next year" pats on the back since he started racing with the big boys. He looks like he lost a step this year, and I can honestly say I don't see him being a factor anymore. He was dominated by Vale, then Jorge, and now Marc. That can't be good for a psyche. I think it's time for a cameo in 27 Dresses part II.

The only other 2 I feel worth mentioning is Dovi and Cal. Dovi used those soft compound tires to qualify well, and be at the front for a few laps. Then reality set in, and he'd finish 15-30 seconds off the leader. However, you can't deny he's getting better on that lame Duc, so we'll see if the Ducati brand will be more competitive next year.

And we'll finish with the guy who took money to destroy his career. Countless crashes and 10th place finishes made for great post race interviews, but this will just be a year to forget. He'll be on a Honda next year, and we'll see if he can keep up with Dovi.

That's all I got, folks. Thanks for a great season :cheers

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Is it too soon to rub all the Rossi haters in the face about his comeback with Yamaha and how successful he has been? Or did the haters stop coming to the forums?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I don't think Cal destroyed his career. I actually think he made a very smart move. He realized the top 4 places in the championship are reserved for the factory Hondas + Yamahas and because none of these 4 rides were available he decided to go make some cash on a more challenging bike that should technically start getting better and better after all the recent changes at Ducati.

It was a gamble in the sense that the Ducati could become competitive in the next 2 years but he really had nothing to lose since he can't possibly fight for the championship on a satellite bike. Then the opportunity for a better ride came earlier than expected and he snatched a factory-spec Honda for 2015. So in the end, he sat out a bunch of races due to mechanical problems, he slid on his ass and destroyed some rosso corsa fairings on a few occasions, he made some dough and hopped on a factory Honda. IMO he did just fine!

And finally as we always say at this time of the year - March can't come soon enough! Here's to a great 2014 and hopefully an even more exciting 2015 seasons :beer

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
I definitely expected Marquez to totally dominated

I did NOT expect Rossi to do well at all, let alone finish a strong second. Impressive

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I have to give some credit to Iannone. While the Ducati isn't competitive, he gave us some exciting race starts. If the Duc improves, he will be one to watch.

·
13 motorsports
742 Posts
We keep saying the Duc isn't competitive. I'm not seeing it that way. If you watched the races towards the end of the year you could see the huge strides they were making. I fully expect them to be fighting for the lead next year.
That being said, if Cal says he took that job for any reason other than money then he's a liar ��

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
So wait when does Ducati switch back to the big-boy rules? After they become competitive and annihilate the competition thanks to their unfair rule-based advantage?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
So wait when does Ducati switch back to the big-boy rules? After they become competitive and annihilate the competition thanks to their unfair rule-based advantage?
If they win one race, get 2 seconds, or 3 thirds, all in dry weather races only. Then they lose the soft tire and half the extra fuel.

Once everyone switches to control ECU in 2016 I think all teams go back to being equal.

Reactions: aLive

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Honda won't let that last very long.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Also, Suzuki and Aprilia get the same concessions as Ducati.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Having said all that, I don't think anyone would have honestly said Vale would be the runner up. Dude is 35 years old, and his best days are truly behind him. Injuries and the Simoncelli nightmares would be more that enough for any racer to say "I'm done". But he's got the drive of a true champion, and he's still got some fight left. I'm excited for next year as you just don't see an old dude fighting for the win against 21 years old very often. Much respect to him :bowdown
Completely disagree that his best days are behind him. If anything he's gotten better and his competition is just tougher now.

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Completely disagree that his best days are behind him. If anything he's gotten better and his competition is just tougher now.
I don't think todays grid is tougher, they're just "different". Sete and Max and Loris and Troy were just as talented, but rode a different machine than these new phenoms. These young guns were brought up using "rider aids" in the technology department, and have a better understanding than Vale and his older brethren. They use it to their advantage, while Vale had to change his riding style and adapt as best he can. It's just a different time in GP now.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Nah you cannot tell me that Marc and Sete are on the same level of talent.

Vales times have not slowed down over the years, thus far.

His opponents times have dropped.

Reactions: drummer92

·
Registered
951 Posts
Truth be told, I don't think Ducati is reaping much of a competitive advantage from the almost-sort-of-Open rules. They can't run the soft tires in a race, so that's not really benefiting them (though they are taking advantage of them to lay down some hot qualifying laps). Raw power has never been a problem for the Ducs either, so I doubt they're gaining much from the extra fuel.

Honestly I think their main reason for running Open was to have the freedom to develop their engine during the season if necessary. Which is to say, if they become successful enough to lose some Factory Two concessions, I don't expect it to have much of an impact on their race results.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
being free to develop new engines, and frames is a huge advantage. Ducati was able to introduce a basically whole new bike this season.

Imagen how much the Yamaha and Honda teams would have developed if they had had 12 engines (and not 12 engines locked at the start of the season, 12 new engines) to play with, that they could develop throughout the year.

the developments that we will only see at the beginning of next year would have been introduced this season.

plus having the soft tires allowed the ducatis to continually out qualify their race abilities. often allowing them to dominate the start of the race. that is a big advantage.

so yeah, ducati is reaping a huge advantage from their open class "special boy" privileges. it is just that they are so pathetically behind that even these advantages haven't been enough for them to win.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts