Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started watching Moto GP this year and I am curious as to why Valentino Rossi switched to Yamaha when clearly Honda bikes dominate. It is obvious he is the best rider, but why would he drop the best bike. Was it a contract issue? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
145 Posts
03silversvs said:
I just started watching Moto GP this year and I am curious as to why Valentino Rossi switched to Yamaha when clearly Honda bikes dominate. It is obvious he is the best rider, but why would he drop the best bike. Was it a contract issue? Thanks for the help.

He wanted a challenge.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I think Honda still wanted him but he wanted a the challange from a new team i.e. Yamaha there might be more to it but that is what i've heard.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yamaha pays more.

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
You answered your own question...He stated himself that he wanted to prove it's the rider and not the bike...

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
that wasn't the only issue. there was some issues about the big guys in the top not backing their riders (all of them) and Rossi had enough. Plus the honda guys thought it was the bike that was winning not the bike in the hands of the right rider that was winning...so basically, they thought their bike w/any rider would win and Rossi was like that is not necessarily the case. So, after that, he jumped ship. GO!!!!!!!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Honda thought the reason why Rossi was winning was the bike.

Rossi though Honda was winning was because of the rider.

So, I believe Honda stopped all negiotiations and Rossi signed on with Yamaha and took the key elements of the Repsol Honda crew with him including Jeremy Burgess. Rossi is gonna stick it to Honda this year since they have essentially lost their way on the development side of things. Rossi was always the lead development rider and now people are questioning who is leading it now, Ukawa? Barros? Hayden? Gibernau? Edwards? Biaggi?

Rossi is basically sticking it to the "man".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the quick reply guys. The Honda racers seem to have a easier time racing and Rossi looks like has to work harder for his wins. It seems pretty obvious that the Hondas are better, but Rossi is so good, he makes up for it and then some.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Big15 said:
That's usually how decisions are made.
have you heard about rossi turning down millions of $ in smoking advertising monies?

he also has convictions and is sticking to them as much as possible

·
Registered
183 Posts
03silversvs said:

As stated earlier - He mostly wanted the challenge. It was just too easy for him to win (nearly) every race he ran. He was bored kicking everyone else's butts week in week out and wanted new goals for himself. In short, Rossi Wants The Record Book to have his name all over it

- Being the frst rider ever in GP history to win consecutive races on different brands DONE

- Being only the 3rd rider EVER to win GP championships on different maker's bikes Work In Progress

- - - Eddie Lawson (Yamaha/Honda) and Giacomo Agostini (MV Agusta/Yamaha)

- Being only the second rider in GP history to win consecutive Championships on different brands Work In Progress

- - - Eddie Lawson - 88 on a yammy and 89 on a Honda

As of this moment, Rossi is one championship short of tie~ing Mike Hailwood and Eddie Lawson's achievements of 4 apiece, except CONSECUTIVELY, which Eddie Lawson didn't do. Mick Doohan's record is 5 consecutive championships (all on Honda), so V/R has to win the next 2 to trump M/D since there'd be two makers involved. That could actually happen. A b***** question is whether or not Rossi hang around long enough to beat Giacomo Agostini's record of eight (7 consecutive).

Valentino Rossi wants his name to be at the top of the list of The Greatest Ever.

Reportedly, Valentino also had some serious issues with the way HRC likes to run things. He wanted input into the bike's technical direction. He wanted input as to how the team was run. Unfortunately, in HRC~land the rider is merely an employee, just the same as a mechanic or an engineer. His Honda bosses (again, reportedly) told Valentino that if he didn't like the way things were run, then he could go pound pasta.

Sticking it to the folks who treat you like that has *got* to be fun!

Scott :)

·
Registered
926 Posts
L8 Braker said:
You answered your own question...He stated himself that he wanted to prove it's the rider and not the bike...

the yamaha really isnt that bad of a bike anymore...rossi has helped them get their shit together. other yamaha riders have poked up in the top 5 in some races...

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
I got his autograph in person at Mugello this year, it was awesome!

·
Registered
304 Posts
firefighter81 said:
I got his autograph in person at Mugello this year, it was awesome!
Between the bikes you own, the amount of time you seem to spend at the track, the scenery in the pictures you've posted here, and the fact that now you've met Rossi AT MUGELLO...I believe I hate you.

Yes. I'm quite sure I'm jealous.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
That kinda reminded me of Doc Holiday in Tombstone, lol.

·
Registered
491 Posts
RACER X said:
have you heard about rossi turning down millions of $ in smoking advertising monies?

he also has convictions and is sticking to them as much as possible
I wondered about that, the bike used to have the name of the french cigarrette on it. Very cool of him.

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
RSRCR said:
the yamaha really isnt that bad of a bike anymore...rossi has helped them get their shit together. other yamaha riders have poked up in the top 5 in some races...
I never said the Yami is a bad bike, it just dosen't stack up against the Honda...Here's the current points in GP...

Standings
1 Valentino Rossi 164 --Yamaha
2 Sete Gibernau 142 --Honda
3 Max Biaggi 142 --Honda
4 Colin Edwards 95 --Honda
5 Alex Barros 86 --Honda
6 Nicky Hayden 83 --Honda

·
Registered
204 Posts
Don't forget that when Val was at Honda , he was almost always ahead of the other Hondas and the other guys were always taking points from each other. After Val there was never really ONE guy always getting the points for Honda. Now Val is at Yamaha and the Honda guys are always taking points from each other so no ONE rider is pulling away for Honda. All Val has to do is finish top 3-4 all the time and let all the honda guys swap points. At the end of the day he will score more points .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts