Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any Moto GP pro racers, ride street? They can handle the bikes but maybe they don't want to take the risk of riding in street? Is there racers that ride street? I haven't seen pics of Rossi, Hayden, Stoner riding street so I was just wondering.

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
The no riding on the street thing is very common amongst racers, especially with the more experienced racers. I started racing in '96, sold my street bike in '99, and haven't had one since (though I have considered it).

I remember some years ago when Doug Chandler got in a little trouble with Kawasaki (when he was a Factory Pro racer for them) because he said in an interview that Kawasaki would give him a street bike but he wouldn't ride on the street because it was too dangerous with all the idiots on the road - it seems Kawasaki didn't think that was in their best intrest in selling street bikes! :)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Their contracts don't allow them to do it. Also, many pro-drivers have the same condition on their contracts, some even not allowing riding a bike even if it's at the track.

And I think other pro-athletes aren't allowed to ride street bikes either.

·
HEHATEME
16,189 Posts
In a lot of other sports they are allowed but there are clauses in their contracts that if they get fucked up they don't still receive full compensation.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I remember when JPM suffered an elbow injury, he said he got it by playing tennis, but rumors sourced it to a bike accident (Which was forbidden by his contract with Mclaren).

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would be cool though to show up at bike night with Heyden or Stoner.

Who's your new friend? Aw...just this guy I taught how do right a few years ago.:lao:eek:nfloor

·
Just hanging brain.
2,686 Posts
I don't see why athletes wouldn't ride a motorcycle. I mean, Ben Rothlisberger does right? It works just fine for him.

But seriously, if you're a pro racer, what's the fun in riding the speed limit with traffic, lights, people, potholes, etc.?

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
I would be cool though to show up at bike night with Heyden or Stoner.
I realize it's not on the street, but back in the late 90's I raced in a number of the same races as John Hopkins - obviously he was way out front. :)

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
Closest I've come to riding w/ anyone famous was when Greg White showed up at a track day at VIR North... he passed me on the front straight & I kept him in sight until about turn 7.... I was on my old EX500 at the time :lmao:

Though I'll give the guy some credit, he was on someone else's bike.

Oh, and I got passed by Larry Pegram going up turn 7-8 at VIR North as well... I think he was on a CR80.... I was on my go-ped :D

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
i know i heard somewhere that most racers dont even have a license.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
riding a street bike around would be the last thing id want to do after i just put in so much riding with practice, racing, tire testing, chassis, etc testing. all they do in the summer is race or travel to a race, in the winter they're constantly doing testing. those guys get so much tracktime they get sick of it.
im sure a few of them go out here and there, but its hardly exciting to them.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
that looks fun as shit, slidin' those mudders all over the place...

:lao

I've bumped into a couple 450s up in the mountains that were pretty easily working me on my Triple. I waved them by and had to wait till the road opened up till I spotted them again.

I wasn't quite hanging all the way off, but I was going pretty good. They straght burned me off the all of the really tight corners.

Little motards looks like fun, but I'm not made of money.

·
Registered
825 Posts
As others have said very few. I do think the the Headen boys ride some when home in Kentucky. At the vary least they all ride off road. Nicky insured him self and I think so has Tommy.

For most racers there are going on the road. Cars, cats and cows the track is a different mine set.

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
What I want to see was when he jumped the fence to get in there! LOL :eatpop

1 - 20 of 26 Posts