events will not require three classes, 21 liter fuel limit
by staff
Saturday, June 04, 2005
This press release in from the FIM:

Road Racing World Championship Grand Prix

Amendments to the Rules

Championnat du Monde des Grands Prix de Courses sur Route

Amendements aux Règlements

The Grand Prix Commission, composed of Messrs. Carmelo Ezpeleta (Dorna, Chairman), Claude Danis (FIM), Sito Pons (IRTA) and Takanao Tsubouchi (MSMA), in the presence of Mr Paul Butler (Secretary of the meeting), in a meeting held today at the circuit of Mugello, unanimously decided to introduce the modifications below to the Road Racing World Championship Grand Prix Regulations.

- For immediate application:

1. 2 Events

To delete Art. 1.2.2 ("all events in the Championship must cater for all three classes")

1. 19 Ride Through Procedure

During the race, the rider will be requested to ride through the pit lane; stopping is not permitted. He may then rejoin the race.

- For application as from June 9, 2005 (Catalunya Grand Prix):

1. 14 Technical Control

1. 14.1 Second paragraph, to delete "In the classes 250cc and 125cc,"

1. 21 Behaviour during practice and race

1. 21.12 To delete "two way radio voice communication"

- For application as from 2007, valid for 5 years minimum:

2. 2 Classes

2. 2.1 As from January 1st, 2007, in the Motogp class the maximum engine size capacity will be 800cc and 2-stroke engines will not be allowed.

2. 6 Fuel tank

2. 6.5 The maximum fuel tank capacity will be of 21 litres.

·
Registered
376 Posts
So the are slowing down the GP? Makes no sense to me.

·
Eurofag
1,792 Posts
Can't see any mention of getting rid of the 125's and 250's, and I can't see the capacity reduction affecting the speed of the MotoGp bikes, so that doesn't really make sense.
After all F1 rules change every year in an effort to slow the cars down, but lap records continue to get broken every year as they do in MotoGp, as the factories just develop other ways of making their machines faster.

http://motogp.tiscali.com/en/motogp/news_info/news_info_14469_1.htm?menu=home

·
Registered
321 Posts
Interresting, can't wait to see the manufacturers responses.

I have a feeling the bikes will get lighter and pull more hp out of the 800 engine.

hmmmmmmm an R8, CBR800rr and ZX8r would be fun to ride.

·
Nihongo Hanaseruzo!
1,465 Posts
v4barnes said:
Interresting, can't wait to see the manufacturers responses.

I have a feeling the bikes will get lighter and pull more hp out of the 800 engine.

hmmmmmmm an R8, CBR800rr and ZX8r would be fun to ride.
You aren't gonna see any R8's...because MotoGP has nothing to do with production bikes. MotoGP bikes are custom-built for MotoGP specs. If AMA Superbike switched to 800cc...then you would see R8's, because Superbikes start off as street bikes and are allowed to make some modifications.

·
Registered
321 Posts
ThePhorest said:
You aren't gonna see any R8's...because MotoGP has nothing to do with production bikes. MotoGP bikes are custom-built for MotoGP specs. If AMA Superbike switched to 800cc...then you would see R8's, because Superbikes start off as street bikes and are allowed to make some modifications.

So what are they gonna do? Get an r6 and bore it out? Get an r1 and put an 800cc engine in it? Wouldnt the manufacturers have to make an engine for them to use though?

·
Nihongo Hanaseruzo!
1,465 Posts
v4barnes said:
So what are they gonna do? Get an r6 and bore it out? Get an r1 and put an 800cc engine in it? Wouldnt the manufacturers have to make an engine for them to use though?
Yeah, exactly. MotoGP bikes' engines are custom built by Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, etc etc. You have the Honda RCV, Kawasaki Big Bang engine, and stuff like that. Those bikes cost a million+/-...so you wont see it affecting anything thats on the street.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nah, you wont even see them touching an r6 engine. one off race bike from the ground up.

i think if these rules do go threw, it will just make things that much more interesting.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
My dire predictions are bearing fruit. MotoGP bikes have drastically increased in speed and power over the past 3 seasons.

AMA recently announced Super Bikes will continue as 1000cc through at least '07.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
All I hope for is that AMA lets the 1000cc V-twins back in so we can get more production twins going and not have to worry about the future of these bikes.

·
Registered
156 Posts
They Already allow 1000cc V Twins.... Ducati is a VTwin have you forgotten about Eboz and Niel Hodgsen.. In Fact He won Race 1 at Road America.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Thrash1 said:
They Already allow 1000cc V Twins.... Ducati is a VTwin have you forgotten about Eboz and Niel Hodgsen.. In Fact He won Race 1 at Road America.
I don't follow racing that much because I don't get it where I live. I was under the impression that they weren't allowed anymore. Wasn't that the reason why the TL was axed and the RC51 is always rumored to be ending production every year?

·
Registered
648 Posts
v twins are still allowed. the rules changed to allow 1000cc fours and it's difficult for the twins to be competative with a 4 cylinder of the same displacement.

·
Super Moderator
4,658 Posts
bpmull said:
I don't follow racing that much because I don't get it where I live. I was under the impression that they weren't allowed anymore. Wasn't that the reason why the TL was axed and the RC51 is always rumored to be ending production every year?
The TL got axed because it wasn't competitive and the 1k came out the following year. Suzuki gave all R&D to the 750 (a proven winning bike) and the 1000. As much as I hate to say it, they did the right thing. I still love my tiller though.

·
Registered
819 Posts
The Reasons for 800cc...
Safety is the main reason for hondas determination to reduce capacity...
due to the sad lose of Daijiro Kato in 03 at Suzuka, manufactures have been united in trying to find ways of improving the safety of riders...
current 990cc 4-strokes produce 260bhp and reach top speeds above 215mph.
fuel sizw was drop by 2 ltr to 22l this year but has little impact on safety as lap times are still droping and top speed increasing...
The Problems...
Cost is one of the major gripes to the 800cc ruling. which is why ducati have been so anxious to stop HRC getting its way with the bologna manufacturer which is in financal turmoil again.
to remain competative @ 800cc manfacturers are going to need new engines. if rules had been left at 900cc reduction from 2007 redesigns would not have been required. current engines could be short stroked, somethin that would have happen anyways under normal development. at 800cc engineers will be lookin at new designs to get the the full benefits of smaller capacity.

FOR:
Honda (biggest player in motoGP. has a 800cc lapping a test track in japan)

AGAINST:
DUCATI
WCM
SUZUKI
KAWASAKI
KTM
YAMAHA

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oh Boy, this sounds about as exciting as watching the 600's race the Daytona 200. WTF are they thinking? MotoGP is the granddaddy of performance. After 07 you will probably be able to go to the dealer and buy a bike straight off the showroom floor and go smoke Rossi or whoever with it. They may go for this crap in Italy or Spain or something, but they can kiss a good chunk of their US viewers goodbye...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Why, because America is all about the "biggest and baddest"? I don't see why it would matter what Rossi (or insert fave racer here) is riding, if the talent is there it will still be just as good to watch. Put just about any typical street rider on a ZX-10R and Rossi or Gibernau or Tamada (sp?) on a Gixxer 600 or 750, and they'll still kick all our asses on the racetrack.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts