Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one ever try it? I just wanted to know if doing this will damage the engin.

·
cheekybeast
1,557 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
I heard from an old riding buddy that it increases the octane, but ya gotta grind 'em up into a fine powder, and pre-mix them with some small amount of gas before you put it in the tank. If they recrystalize they'll clog the fuel lines. Also ya can't use too much or the octane will be too high, resulting in a damaged engine, blown pistons, whatever.

How much, is it true? [email protected] if I know. Just what I heard from an old riding buddy way back in the early 80's. Works for cars too!

·
cheekybeast
1,557 Posts
Sounds like it COULD be based on something true, but it also sounds like the risks far outweigh the (possible)benefits

I think you can use something called (?)toulene from paint shops to increase octane.

·
51 times World Champions
3,861 Posts
This is one of the biggest loads of BS to ever hit the circuit!!! One of the ingredients in mothballs is a constituent in gasoline. However, there isn't enough in a mothball to achieve anything, and more than enough crap to make trying it a PITA. Believe me, I used to work for Royal Dutch-Shell.

Just for the record, there's no such thing as "too much octane". Octane is nothing more than a measurement of a fuels resistance to pre-ignition. The one difference you will find with a higher octane fuel is a lower energy content per measure of mass. That's why they say not to use a higher octane fuel than absolutely necessary. The lowest possible octane (for a given engine) will give the highest power output.

Cheers

·
Registered
747 Posts
robert_s_hunter said:
This is one of the biggest loads of BS to ever hit the circuit!!! One of the ingredients in mothballs is a constituent in gasoline. However, there isn't enough in a mothball to achieve anything, and more than enough crap to make trying it a PITA. Believe me, I used to work for Royal Dutch-Shell.

Just for the record, there's no such thing as "too much octane". Octane is nothing more than a measurement of a fuels resistance to pre-ignition. The one difference you will find with a higher octane fuel is a lower energy content per measure of mass. That's why they say not to use a higher octane fuel than absolutely necessary. The lowest possible octane (for a given engine) will give the highest power output.

Cheers
Then WHY is racing fuel like 105 octane or higher. And WHY do higher performance engines like on our bikes REQUIRE a minimum of like 90 or 91 octane? And WHY did all the 92 octane gas mysteriously disappear and get replaced with 91 octane when the public bitched about raising gas prices a couple years back? And WHERE is the 92 octane anyway? WHY is the higher octane more expensive?? WHY, WHY, WHY? :google

·
51 times World Champions
3,861 Posts
BigNinja said:
Or just go get some octane booster at the auto parts store in yer neighborhood fer chrissakes, and pour it in (but don't drink it)!
He's right, but if you're not having pre-ignition problems why bother? The only performance gain you'll see, will be the one from the reduced weight of your wallet. If you are having pre-ignition problems, and you haven't modified your engine significantly, something isn't working properly.

:cheers

·
51 times World Champions
3,861 Posts
BigNinja said:
Then WHY is racing fuel like 105 octane or higher.
Because racing engines have higher compression ratios both mechanically, and dynamically, (among many other issues) which require a higher resistance to pre-ignition.
BigNinja said:
And WHY do higher performance engines like on our bikes REQUIRE a minimum of like 90 or 91 octane?
Because motorcycles use engines which are more highly tuned than the typical automobile engine. If you doubt me, figure out the HP/L for your bike, and then calculate what that would mean if your car had the same HP/L.
BigNinja said:
And WHY did all the 92 octane gas mysteriously disappear and get replaced with 91 octane when the public bitched about raising gas prices a couple years back? And WHERE is the 92 octane anyway?
I take it that you haven't patronized a Shell or BP station in a while. Both of these companies market 93 octane fuels nationwide. Here in the east we also have Sunoco (the NASCAR fuel supplier) which markets a 94 octane fuel.
BigNinja said:
WHY is the higher octane more expensive?? WHY, WHY, WHY? :google
Higher octane fuels are more expensive than their lower octane brethren because it takes more crude oil to produce a gallon of 94, than it does to produce a gallon of 87. That's "WHY,WHY,WHY"!!!

Any other questions? I'll be happy to answer them......

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
BigNinja said:
Then WHY is racing fuel like 105 octane or higher. And WHY do higher performance engines like on our bikes REQUIRE a minimum of like 90 or 91 octane?
Because high performance engines typically run at a higher compression ratio, and at higher compression, low octane gasoline can pre-ignite. It's not that high octane fuel produces more power (it in fact produces less since it's more resistant to burning), it's just that high performance engines require it to run without pre-ignition. (my engine requires nothing more than 87, BTW)

Check this out for more info:

·
51 times World Champions
3,861 Posts
BigNinja said:
Well they ain't no 92 anymo here in LA. I guess you Easterly folks get preferencial treatment from the oil companies, and we Westerly types are downright discriminated upon in dis way. We'd like our fair share of the 92, 93 and 94 octanes please. WHY, WHY, WHY?
I'm sorry to hear that you guys are getting the shaft, really. I'm a native Californian. My bet is that it, like most of the shaft that performance enthusiasts in Cali get, is due to those nice people over at CARB. You oughta drop by their website ( www.arb.ca.gov ) and have a browse at the kinda crap they make companies go through. Don't get me wrong, I love clean air. It would just be nice if they actually dealt with the big problems, instead of swatting at flies!!!

·
NO LAG !!!
1,255 Posts
No names but, :bitchslap ! You need it. If you are guilty and know that I'm talking about you ha ha. :neener

·
Speed Racer
1,650 Posts
BigNinja said:
Well they ain't no 92 anymo here in LA. I guess you Easterly folks get preferencial treatment from the oil companies, and we Westerly types are downright discriminated upon in dis way. We'd like our fair share of the 92, 93 and 94 octanes please. WHY, WHY, WHY?
Cause you live in a state run by tree hugging pantiewaist liberals. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
fire said:
any one ever try it? I just wanted to know if doing this will damage the engin.
naphthalene in mothballs has octane number of 90, so it has negligible benefit for 87 gas and none for premium.

you can use toluene (a solvent for paint) which will raise your octane, but you need a lot.

·
Registered
102 Posts
TravellinJones said:
Moth balls don't have any effect. You have to use the whole moth.
:eek:nfloor OK.Now that was funny!
One more thing,most of our bikes go over 160 MPH(of course,some a little more) why would anyone attempt anything that could potentially harm the bike.I personally don't need the extra 2 MPH.

·
You're a Daisy if ya do
8,534 Posts
What about sterno? Micheal Waltrip won't answer my phone calls or emails

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
BigNinja said:
Go talk to the CARB - that's WHY WHY WHY.

You live in a communist state located within the borders of the USA. I'm glad I don't have to deal with the bullshit out there. The weather might be nice, but if I had to deal with the Cali Government like you do, I would have gone postal a long time ago.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts