Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First off, I wanted to say that I'm fairly new not just to this forum but to FORUMS in general, I am not positive what is considered acceptable and what is considered annoying/trolling, so please, if I say anything that isn't "right" by forum standards, let me know and I'll delete this post.

I felt like posting here is more appropriate since I am still a bit new. I have been riding for almost a year now (short few months) on a Ninja 300. Love the bike, but I am ready to upgrade to something b*****. I have gone at 100+ before, and I'll say off the bat that I am not a speed demon, I don't like that kind of speed, however, I am not really happy about a car being able to accelerate faster than me (it especially becomes a problem when I try to pass on a freeway and the d**k next to me thinks I want to race because I'm on a sport bike, so he speeds up too) so I want something that I will be comfortable passing others on.

With all that being said:
Which 600 bike out of the main 4 brands is the most reliable (r6, gsxr600, 600rr, zx6r)?
By reliable I mean fewest repairs, most forgiving when maintenance is not all up to date, and will last me the longest considering I do a half-decent job looking after it (I don't plan on skipping on maintenance, but this will suggest a better build if it can "tough out" a maintenance skip). I really am looking for something that will be cheap to maintain and will not have as many parts to replace after long use. I realize this is going to be very subjective as all riders have their favorites, but I want to hear stories and opinions from experienced riders (for instance, though not a 600, my friend recommended AGAINST an SV650 because he personally had many problems and repairs with it). What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
145 Posts
There's always going to be lemons for each brand, the example of your friend's SV650 is perfect. In general, they are highly regarded bikes. Taking a small sample of personal experiences isn't necessarily representative of the population.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
The key to reliabilty with anything you buy these days is maintenance. If you maintain your ride regularly it will reward you with long service.

·
Registered
808 Posts
All 4 of those brands are eerily similar... :)

As far as reliability and cheaper maintenance, I would go with just about any of those options about 2010 or older. A lot of bikes now are getting more advanced electronics, which makes things a lil more complicated all around (i.e. traction control, ride modes, abs)

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Wouldn't a nice clear answer be awesome?

Not gonna happen. They have have around abouts the same amount niggles/quirks. They're all pretty damned reliable including an SV650, I should know... Nearly 26,000 on mine and not a damned hiccup.

Seriously, pick the one that fits you best. 1000cc RRs on the other hand tend to be more...interesting. (poor welds on frames, oil drinking etc etc)

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
the ranger. all day long. the S10 is a jumbled mess of shelf parts.
the 4.3L used in the S10 for some time was also a terribad motor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Food for thought:

Your Ninja 300 has a (claimed) 106mph top speed. It will also do a (claimed) 5.6 sec 0-60, and a mid-14 quarter mile.

Acceleration might not be enough to trump a Corvette or Viper etc. But you could hang pretty close with a WRX? Or Even a Camaro SS (found a website that referenced 5.2 seconds, these are far from hard facts). You certainly could out pull some clown kid in a Civic or Grand AM GT.

I bought a GS500E for my GF to learn on last year. Top speed: 105mph. I never felt like I didin't have enough power to adequetly ride the bike down the highway. I wouldn't count on, in my opinion, a b***** bike greatly increasing your fun-factor when it comes to highway riding. A b***** bike will greatly increase your ability to be a hooligan, but that can, once in a while, be a fun part of motorcycling.

How many miles did you put on your 300 already?

To answer the original question: There is no bike that is more reliable than the rest. Each year has their bugaboos. Find a bike you're interested in and look up known issues for the years. Theres a good chance you'll find one "concern" be it bad or good for any model/year of bike.

Good Luck

·
Registered
538 Posts
I would be happy to buy your Ninja 300 from you, I have 0 to 60 in about 7.8 to 8 seconds on mine and still have a good time on it, a very good time. 250/300 is all about handling and that flickable feeling. That 600 you want will demolish pretty much any car out there but just be careful some dickheads will not want to lose to you in a race and cause you some trouble. I have done it myself and after it was over felt its just not worth it.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
A friend of mine just sold her sv650 with 47k on it. Bike was 3 years old and was never in the shop except for maintenance. I put 9k of hard riding on mine in the year I had mine and never a hiccup(My sv1k...different story, but even then none of the several riders I knew that had a 1k had my issues).

There will always be a lemon bike somewhere. I'm always hanging around at my friends shop and the majority of the bikes that come in with issues are due to mods that were done like shit and/or are actually causing issues with other mods or a backyard mechanic tries to fix and fucks it up or the bike has never seen maintenance other than an oil change once a year. It's funny, most of the bikes in the shop are all low mileage. The high mileage bikes that come in mostly always look the best and have the least amount of issues because their owners cared for them and they also KNEW their bikes.

I can't turn a wrench worth shit, I accept that. I can do minor maintenance and I know how to identify problems and listen for issues and I am constantly going over the bike checking tires,sprockets,chain, connections, battery, lights before and after every ride and whenever I get bored am hanging out in the garage.

First of all sit on all the bikes you can to get a feel. I LOVE the 848 and the 675 and my back, knees, and nuts can't handle either one. But I am very comfortable on the gsxr 600/750(2008). I didn't feel too bad on the zx6(2010) but I didn't ride it either. I have never been on a yammy yet. The f4I is arguably one the bikes that will make it to the second coming of Christ. We have a member that has over 250k on his....yes 250k
I would honestly love to have one of those but I always miss the deal here when I have the money and the next crisis hasn't hit yet.

Get the bike that moves you, but feels good to ride. If you take care of it and don't do half assed mods or have someone who can wrench and understands what He's wrenching, then just about any bike will take care of you in return.

My first bike was a 07 ninja 250. I'm 6'2'' at 225 with full gear and I never had a problem passing anybody. I had that little shit up to 100 quite a few times during rides. Yes everyone lost me in the straights(or uphill) but 90% of the time I was able to keep up or pass other riders. I will always remember how easy that bike was to ride. and 14k in a year and a half and never had one issue.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Btw supersports are tuned for high performance. The fz6 and 650 twins are tuned for durability, long life, and abuse (I.e. look at the compression ratios). Mechanical reliability is all about preventative maintenance and rider use/abuse.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Seriously, pick the one that fits you best. 1000cc RRs on the other hand tend to be more...interesting. (poor welds on frames, oil drinking etc etc)
Haha, funny you should say that :) One of the first things people comment on when they get a good look at my 954 is the absolutely mint aluminum welds on the frame. Maybe Honda's welding robots went to university, lmao.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Food for thought:

Your Ninja 300 has a (claimed) 106mph top speed. It will also do a (claimed) 5.6 sec 0-60, and a mid-14 quarter mile.

Acceleration might not be enough to trump a Corvette or Viper etc. But you could hang pretty close with a WRX? Or Even a Camaro SS (found a website that referenced 5.2 seconds, these are far from hard facts). You certainly could out pull some clown kid in a Civic or Grand AM GT.

I bought a GS500E for my GF to learn on last year. Top speed: 105mph. I never felt like I didin't have enough power to adequetly ride the bike down the highway. I wouldn't count on, in my opinion, a b***** bike greatly increasing your fun-factor when it comes to highway riding. A b***** bike will greatly increase your ability to be a hooligan, but that can, once in a while, be a fun part of motorcycling.

How many miles did you put on your 300 already?

To answer the original question: There is no bike that is more reliable than the rest. Each year has their bugaboos. Find a bike you're interested in and look up known issues for the years. Theres a good chance you'll find one "concern" be it bad or good for any model/year of bike.

Good Luck
It's not the 0-60 acceleration that sucks on small bikes.....it's the 60-80. If you look at the trap speed on those 1/4 mile runs, it's usually a lot slower than a car that has the same 1/4 mile time. So I guess what I'm trying to say is they run out of good power past about 50 mph ;-)

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
no they don't.
I know from experience, because if I wanted to pass someone on the highway on my VTR250, the only time I actually downshifted was when I was in one goddamned hurry.

I cruised at about 75 mph (120kmh) most times, and the bike was quite happy to get up to 140 without too much issue.
now, at about 140, it hit a wall. but that's plenty fast.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's not the 0-60 acceleration that sucks on small bikes.....it's the 60-80. If you look at the trap speed on those 1/4 mile runs, it's usually a lot slower than a car that has the same 1/4 mile time. So I guess what I'm trying to say is they run out of good power past about 50 mph ;-)
Yes, all bikes will run out of steam when approaching terminal velocity. But, as The Predator said, I have been on a bike with very similar capabilities to the Ninja 300 and never felt wanting (and its not because I haven't known what i'm missing by only riding slow bikes). The GS500E hits a wall near the same point that the Ninja 300 does, and I never felt like it was jeapordizing my safety on the highway.

But, to each their own. I also don't feel like my ZX-6R needs to be downshifted to pass on the highway, but some people swear you need a liter bike to comfortably cruise on the slab.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm going to echo the rider error crowd here and ask if the OP knows how to ride. Are you downshifting to pass or are you cruising along at 55mph in 6th gear wondering where all of your power is? Also, are you afraid of the upper ends of the rev range? These seem to be pretty common follies for newer riders who think they've got it down pat but have only babied the bike thus far because they're still green enough to be afraid to beat the snot out of it when the situation calls for it.

If you make the decision to pass first, dump it down a gear and romp the throttle for all it's worth on up into the upper end of the rev range (where you're going to make most of your power) and you still can't pass the car you intended to, even on a 300, then slow down and let the guy pass you (you're either already going way above the legal limit or you're trying to pass a Ferrari being driven by an asshole -- both are stupid things to do). If you're only worried about getting away from him for safety reasons, then him passing you and moving on down the road at a speed that you cannot match accomplishes that about as well as you passing him and leaving him seeing nothing but your tail lights.

In short:
(A) Learn how to be decisive, unafraid to commit and tap into the power available to you.

and

(B) If that's not enough to pass, check your ego, slow down and let the car go by.

All a 600 will do for you is mask your lack of skill and allow you to go way too fast on a public road to accomplish something you can already do with a much greater margin of safety on your 300.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts