Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far, my first real negotiation was for my new Ninja 650 ABS (MSRP $8000). It was really hard for me to get a fair deal matching KBB on any used Ninja 650s, but the dealer was willing to cut me a deal by getting rid of almost all the fees and sell at $8300. And of course craigslist, it's easier to do since I am taking a risk on used items and going off trust that the person is truthful and maybe the person just wants to get rid of it.

But one thing that surprised me as I was able to negotiate an addition 10% on some sandals in the W Hotel in Hollywood that was marked at 60%, they were getting rid of stuff. I never tried negotiating in a clothing store in a prime LA location, but I'm surprised I was able to get a 70% discount. I basically made my reasoning that I liked the shoe, but it's not a perfect fit for me but I will be willing to pick them up if I could get a better deal at 75% like the other items. She was just the cashier and she didn't have to go to a manager, she just did it for me saying "ya lets get these sandals outta here". She wasn't the store owner or manager, but she was able to give me a discount without trying too hard.

What other things can you negotiate that most people don't know you can negotiate? For one thing, I'd like to try negotiating bottle service prices at hot night clubs. I know bottle service is the big money maker for clubs, but it's hard to get people to pay for them so they entice them by making them wait in a long line for regular admission. Hotel rooms would be nice too if that can be negotiated over the phone or in person.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
At least he's attempting to create discussions instead of just complaining about no activity or posting negative ftp crap all the time. :neener

I've gotten minor auto and motorcycle body repair done in trade for homemade cookies before.

·
Registered
145 Posts
At least he's attempting to create discussions instead of just complaining about no activity or posting negative ftp crap all the time. :neener

I've gotten minor auto and motorcycle body repair done in trade for homemade cookies before.
I'd imagine this is the winner. Only took two posts as well. Nice :D

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
:thankya

I bet someone can top that though... knowing this crowd. :lol

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
It depends a lot on where you are, and the local culture. In Arabic countries, and Mexico and some other Hispanic places, haggling and bargaining are practiced and expected for everything. In most of America and Europe, prices are more fixed, although more things are negotiable than most people are aware of.

Personally, I'm happier with simple fixed pricing -- there's a reasonable price tag, and I pay it and go. I've got better (or at least more enjoyable) things to spend my time and life doing than trying to squeeze an extra nickel out of every transaction.

PhilB

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I got laid in exchange for fixing a Kia the once.

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
My bike was something like $7400 MSRP and I paid $6200 for it. My Civic was a hair under $19k sticker and I got it for $17.5

Not the greatest deals, but fair.

I don't do a lot of negotiating for goods. If it's priced acceptably and I want it, I buy it. If not, I don't.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
I've negotiated everything that I either didn't want or would consider a big purchase. I research like I'm getting paid for it, because reading for a few hours can easily save you hundreds or thousands of dollars...easy. I even negotiate cheap low budget items if I'm at the right place and right seller. Would I prefer to not haggle? Yes. Would I prefer to pay less? Yes.

Insurance, vehicles, service for properties...These are easy. There are other things that are subjective. Those are the challenges, especially in cultures where most people pay asking price. This is why patience and time is the key.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
8300 is ok for OTD in California. I was trying to buy a new 650r for 7500 otd last winter and failed...but kept my hunt local. When I was shopping for the rc8, I did all of southern and central cali for a tad below msrp otd and failed.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
First truck was priced at 1200, got it for 5. Second one was 2100, fot it fir 1400. The f250 was priced at 4500, I got it fir 2 even. My CBR was priced at 3200, I got it for 2100.

With friends I often trade work. Although I am getting a new cab n box for the dodge for 150 bycks in booze.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
First truck was priced at 1200, got it for 5. Second one was 2100, fot it fir 1400. The f250 was priced at 4500, I got it fir 2 even. My CBR was priced at 3200, I got it for 2100.

With friends I often trade work. Although I am getting a new cab n box for the dodge for 150 bycks in booze.
Sounds like you're buying time bombs. The key to negotiations is to know what you want, as well as what it's worth (to you and the market). People who sell like that are ditching headaches.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
*snicker* sure, that's what it is.

Put 25 bycks into my first truck, put about 400 into my second and did over 35000 miles in one year. Put 3 grand into the ford, but half of that was tires.

None of my vehicles have broken down. People just have a penchant for hitting me. 2 hit and runs, 2 not-at-faults, abd a deer.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
well done, then. Best deal I can remember on a vehicle, 1,500 asking price for a Saturn SC2...noted a few issues with the car, told the owner I'd give him $1,000 and after spending less than $20 on brake pads, rode the hell out of that car in all sorts of climates, and got amazing gas mileage too. I miss having those beater cars. Easy to work on, peace of mind always, running or not, clean or not.

Gotta wash two spoiled bitch cars and my motorcycle...they're all probably due for an oil change too.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts