Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it would be cool to have some incredibly intense blue headlights. What are the most powerful lights on the market? Also, if anyone has fabricated their own set of lights please post pics and/or share info about how you did it.

·
Registered
222 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
HID is the best way to go and they arent nearly as expensive as they used to be. Other wise, the phillips would do the job with the least amount of modification needed.

·
Registered
584 Posts
so, the lights mentioned above are the additional lights... are there kits that replace the OEM bulb with HID one, so it's a clean install without additional mounting? (like cars do)

·
Registered
28 Posts
True HIDs need balasts (kits come with them), So you will have to find a suitable place to mount them. They are 1 million times better than traditional halogens.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I went to wal-mart and got a set of lights for $20, and they actually work really well. I only have one in now and it is as good as my low beam stock light. I would have never thought they would be that good. They were the small ones, like 1"x1.5" or something....

My friend got a set of different fog lights and they suck, they have a very narrow light band....

·
Registered
80 Posts
from what i know the HID's that would go on cars would run around $500 come in diffrent intensities for where it would look more of the blue look in the headlight which you are looking for. my bro said that he saw a bike with this once and it looked hot

·
Sub-Zero
922 Posts
try looking at sylvania silverstars... they got some blue in them

·
Registered
452 Posts
First of all, I don't think you'll find any aftermarket HID kits for motorcycles to convert the OEM halogen headlight. They are illegal (not DOT approved). In fact, some of the PIAA kits are only legal for off-road use. Sportbikes attract enough attention... you don't need the cops hassling you for your headlights.

Silverstars are probably your best bet. They are whiter than halogen bulbs and are somewhat brighter, but they still do not compare to true HID lights.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
HID kits were outlawed in TX.......so better check the laws

i'd +1 the phillips vision plus

www.powerbulbs.com

·
Registered
400 Posts
I did a HID retro on my ZX7R. HID's are not outlawed in Texas. It is illegal to use non-OEM HID parts. If you use OEM BMW HIDS it is legal. Anything that is OEM from a car is legal. Here is the link to my complete retro with pics and directions. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

http://www.jonesisland.com/7r/xen/

·
Registered
452 Posts
Rotty said:
I did a HID retro on my ZX7R. HID's are not outlawed in Texas. It is illegal to use non-OEM HID parts. If you use OEM BMW HIDS it is legal. Anything that is OEM from a car is legal. Here is the link to my complete retro with pics and directions. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

http://www.jonesisland.com/7r/xen/
True, HIDs are not illegal... but putting HIDs on a car that was not designed to have HIDs is illegal. This much I know, as I've contacted an engineer at the NHTSA regarding it. I'm assuming that the same laws cover motorcycles. Whether it's an aftermarket or OEM part from another vehicle, if it was not designed to be put onto the vehicle, it is probably illegal.

Here is a quote from the email that I received from the NHTSA:

"Relative to the Deetz interpretation, it appears that the agency believes it is
unlikely that any HID light source that has been altered/manufactured to be
interchangeable with an incandescent light source would comply with our
standards."

·
Registered
5 Posts
The blue lights I put in my old 929rr actually killed my headlight relay and turn signal relay from the extra wattage they pulled. So make sure whatever bulbs you buy are little or no extra wattage. Sylvania Silverstar's are the only bulbs in which the factory wattage is maintained to my knowledge.

Apparently running 100w bulbs instead of 60w is not the best idea.

·
Registered
584 Posts
sjlee said:
True, HIDs are not illegal... but putting HIDs on a car that was not designed to have HIDs is illegal. This much I know, as I've contacted an engineer at the NHTSA regarding it. I'm assuming that the same laws cover motorcycles. Whether it's an aftermarket or OEM part from another vehicle, if it was not designed to be put onto the vehicle, it is probably illegal.

Here is a quote from the email that I received from the NHTSA:

"Relative to the Deetz interpretation, it appears that the agency believes it is
unlikely that any HID light source that has been altered/manufactured to be
interchangeable with an incandescent light source would comply with our
standards."
that is true, unless you buy Ellipsoid housing (for a car)... then it IS designed for HID. I run 6000K on my car and would love to do it to my bike too

·
Registered
452 Posts
Filip75 said:
that is true, unless you buy Ellipsoid housing (for a car)... then it IS designed for HID. I run 6000K on my car and would love to do it to my bike too
Nope, it still is illegal if you're putting it onto a car that came from the manufacturer with halogen lights.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts