Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so last night i was going to change the oil in my 99 r6 and the drain bolt was seized to the drain hole needless to say it snapped the oil pan and hot oil poured like only george bush could dream of so after it stopped and i saw that it was snapped i snapped LOL but anywho i ordered a new oil pan and gasket today but my bike is out of commision for a week and thats rush order but it will give me time to do some much needed cleaning and minor things like brake fluid etc.

my question now that i have your attention is that recently i had a small get off at about 1.5 mph and it snapped the piece that connects the headlights to the main frame of the bike so now the lights bounce up and down like the juggies on a trampoline. what is that part called ?
my dad is buying me new upper fairings and that piece for my late bday present and i need the name of it to order.
thanks for your time
jesse.
rubber side down :beer

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol sorry i tend to do that
but thats cool you got jokes
lol especially when im :beer :pisson :cheers

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know lol i was three sheets to the wind while i was writing it.
but your web site gave me some good info lol.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
That piece should be a fairing stay. You can go to www.ronayers.com and look at their online microfiche. That will allow you to see all the parts of the bike, their names and numbers, and their retail price.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Another thing about changing the oil, be VERY careful when putting a new oil filter, it should be hand tight only. I once had to have an oil filter blow torched off a car when I couldnt get it off after putting it on with a filter wrench. (actually a steel bar was welded onto the filter and then used as a lever to twist the filter off).

·
Registered
144 Posts
So if a dealer was to change the oil and the bolt was seized, who would be resposible for the repair of broken oil pan?

If the dealer has to pay, I wonder if I should take my bike to the dealer when it gets old. Sometimes it's nearly impossible to disassemble an old bike without stripping the bolts or cracking something?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
bugeyed said:
Another thing about changing the oil, be VERY careful when putting a new oil filter, it should be hand tight only. I once had to have an oil filter blow torched off a car when I couldnt get it off after putting it on with a filter wrench. (actually a steel bar was welded onto the filter and then used as a lever to twist the filter off).

I used to service heavy machinery back in high school. We always had filters that refused to come off. When that happened, we'd jam a big screwdriver through both sides and then use that as a lever. I'm surprised they welded something on instead.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
hozhead said:
I used to service heavy machinery back in high school. We always had filters that refused to come off. When that happened, we'd jam a big screwdriver through both sides and then use that as a lever. I'm surprised they welded something on instead.
I tried that, all it did was shred the filter. Fortunately I had a friend whose dad had a muffler shop, they got the filter off for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts