Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my permit this morning and I've been practicing riding my bike for a little over a week prior to getting my permit. And I decide I'm ready to take a cruise around town..........worst decision of my life. I don't know what happened.I had everything down when I practiced shifting, braking, acceleration. Everything was going fine until I reached the first stop sign. I pull in the clutch and and the brakes and came to a stop and I don't remember what I did next but the bike turned off. I turn on the bike and tried to take off but I stalled, and again and again. Cars were beeping at me people laughing. This happened at about three stop signs and worst of all I ran out of gas three blocks away from my house. So I had to walk my bike all the way home.

I guess i got so nervous that I forgot how to ride the bike. Anyways that's how my first ride went. Anyone else had an experience like this?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Just relax. Take the bike to an area with less traffic to worry about and keep riding. Before you know it you will be able to handle heavy traffic without having any problems at all. You will no longer be nervous but ...... stay in areas with low traffic at first till you get very comfortable riding the bike and dont make little mistakes... then move to more traffic. You will be fine.

Do not let other traffic stress you out to much. It could lead to very bad mistakes when you take off trying not to kill the bike.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So I got my permit this morning and I've been practicing riding my bike for a little over a week prior to getting my permit. And I decide I'm ready to take a cruise around town..........worst decision of my life. I don't know what happened.I had everything down when I practiced shifting, braking, acceleration. Everything was going fine until I reached the first stop sign. I pull in the clutch and and the brakes and came to a stop and I don't remember what I did next but the bike turned off. I turn on the bike and tried to take off but I stalled, and again and again. Cars were beeping at me people laughing. This happened at about three stop signs and worst of all I ran out of gas three blocks away from my house. So I had to walk my bike all the way home.

I guess i got so nervous that I forgot how to ride the bike. Anyways that's how my first ride went. Anyone else had an experience like this?
Take a MSF course it will fix your problems. Also if its a carb bike (don't know) then you should have a reserve tank, if not then make sure you watch your fuel gauge. Use the trip counter to keep track of your range, that way you always know how far you can still go (good idea to do this in a car as well), it also lets you track your MPG.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Get a tinted shield. Stall out all you want and no one can see your face - cuts down on the embarrasment. That, and just more practice. :)

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Take a MSF course it will fix your problems. Also if its a carb bike (don't know) then you should have a reserve tank, if not then make sure you watch your fuel gauge. Use the trip counter to keep track of your range, that way you always know how far you can still go (good idea to do this in a car as well), it also lets you track your MPG.
I didnt even think of MSF course.... In Texas we cant get any permit or anything without first taking the course. I guess that could be different in other states so yea if you havent taken the course then do take it. It will help alot.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I took MSF first and got all the embarrassing stuff out of the way then. When I actually got my first bike a few weeks later I only rode around my block for a day or two to get the hang of it. Didn't touch the highway for a month.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Just practice in a parking lot out of the way. Way back when I took the MSF back in Camp Lejeune then spent a couple days at the local elementary school parking lot learning to be smooth with my clutch on flat ground, hills and practcieing being smooth with the brakes. +10000000 on watching your trip meter for fuel........I do that to this day!!

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
I'm guessing you forgot to downshift and were in second or third gear. Regardless, if I get into troubles like that in traffic, I just think "well, what if the bike/car actually DID break?". I've had a Corvette lose all electrical power at 40mph in the middle of a six-lane expressway. It happens - you just deal with the situation and move on. Getting all flustered doesn't help.

The other thing is, if you just got your permit, you shouldn't be relying on the bike for your transportation right away. As soon you *have* to get somewhere specific, particularly by a certain time, you're just piling unnecessary pressure on the situation. Make riding around the neighborhood an end unto itself.

KeS

·
Registered
917 Posts
I had problems with stalling when I first started riding. One time I kept stalling and I could not figure out why. I was turning out of a parking lot so it's not like I was in the road, but I still had to wave someone around me who was probably pretty confused. It turned out I didn't downshift and I was trying to start from second, which is a large challenge for a Ninja 250.

I took an MSF course which is where I also got my license. Up to that point I would ride around with my learner's permit with a friend who already had a license. After the course I never had a problem with stalling again because so many of their exercises teach you how to be familiar with the clutch. While each bike is a little different the skills are easily transferable between bikes.

Like other said, just spend some time in the neighborhood and consider taking the MSF. MSF or not, very gradually increase the amount of traffic you face. Parking lot to neighborhood to main road with just stop signs to main roads with stop lights then major roads then highways is basically how I did it. And I didn't to to highways in the first month.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You will get better, stalling is just part of life. I even stall from time to time. Keep practicing and get comfy with your bike.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Have to learn to crawl before you learn to walk. Shit happens...tomorrow's another day.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
oh I have a good story about me stalling my truck next to a car full of cute girls and they just laughed their asses off. so did my buddy. what a dick.:cici

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
Don't worry, not so embarrasing. Chalk it up as a lesson learned. No one hurt, no foul.

We have all done same/similar, even those with many miles under our belt. I was coming back home from a weekend ride and the way our neighborhood is laid out I pass the back of my house, go around the block and then into the front/garage.

My wife came out and met me. I went to do a tight u-turn on the bike and had it in 2nd. I just lurched to a stop and next thing I know I am on my ass and bike on it's side. I really should have stopped 100 miles out from home but thought it was a waste. I was absolutely nackered and should have pulled over to get some sleep. (so riding while tired is not worth it).

But shit happens, chalk it up, why did it happen?, and drive on.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
It's odd. I never really stalled my Ninja 500 when I started. I rode pretty well, just...slow...everywhere and slowly built up confidence. When I then got my ZZR1200 I don't think the fucking thing could be stalled. I let out the clutch with just a HAIR of gas and off she went. When I stalled the most was when I got this SV. I was so damned used to that torque of the 1164cc engine in the ZZR that I was reminded I just couldn't let the clutch out with a hair of gas and go. Probably stalled this damned bike a dozen times before I learned to rev it up to get going. (Doing my TPS adjustment on the SV helped, but still...)

Basically, don't sweat it. It happens to everyone...and it's certain better than the bike being on its side.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
If you think stalling is embarrassing you should try dropping it in front of people.
My first new street bike, a GS750, was the very last year that Suzuki had a separate ignition switch and steering lock. Not once, but twice, I had the experience of hopping on the bike at the mall, pulling on my helmet, sticking the key in the bike, firing it up, and riding smoothly off...

in a rapidly descending spiral as the forks were still locked.

The second time, as I dropped the bike while still straddling it, the chain also ate my pants leg into the rear sprocket as the engine died.

KeS

1 - 20 of 28 Posts