Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grabbed this from my Treo this am after dropping my son off before I headed out to work. I rarely see this on the weekends let alone on the morning commute... and this is in Houston. WOW!

Wife-beater, shorts, Tennis shoes....Yama R-1...If this is you, get a jacket, or at least leave before I do...lol

Good luck...

Attachments

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Some people just don't care. Typical excuses include but aren't limited to: 1. Too hot to wear gear; 2. "Cool" enough not to wear gear; 3. Can't afford the gear; 4. Only <insert slur word here> wear gear; 5. Going to work so I can't wear gear; 6. I'm not going down today so I don't need gear; 7. I only wear gear for track days.

All idiots. Wait until something happens to them and then see their credit card statements for the month following their accident and their hospital tabs.

·
loner
201 Posts
i have to admit... i find it hard to believe people care so much.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DslrMark said:
I would at least wear a Jacket with some gloves.
Thanks for lightening that up a bit :)

That camera phone shoots a 640x480, but it still looks like shit...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yesterday I seen this guy ridding a Gixxer 1000 wearing a $500 Suzuki Racing Jacket and a $400 Shoei Helmet, with just shorts and tennis shoes, I thought to myself did he run out of money or time. :)

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
DslrMark said:
Yesterday I seen this guy ridding a Gixxer 1000 wearing a $500 Suzuki Racing Jacket and a $400 Shoei Helmet, with just shorts and tennis shoes, I thought to myself did he run out of money or time. :)
now THAT is what i called ghetto...half of you is champagne taste, the rest of you is french fry pocket. makes me smirk to myself... :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
damn i just saw one last week but was to late by the time i got my picture phone out.. its a cancer & spreading quickly

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
What happens when you fall and don't have gloves on? Or if a bug hits you in the eye without a helmet on? Or rock from a passing truck pelts you in the shoulder. Man, that's gonna hurt without any thing on him.

·
Registered
809 Posts
there's alot of guys around here like that.
my favorite is the guy on the brand new 749s with a slick "ducati" leather jacket on, unzipped, no helmet or any other gear. and he even wears his super cool jacket when it's hot as balls out.

I wont lie though, when it's hot out sometimes I just wear a helmet, gloves and a t-shirt. But always long jeans and boots.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
ExtraJ said:
I wont lie though, when it's hot out sometimes I just wear a helmet, gloves and a t-shirt. But always long jeans and boots.
Road rash isn't as easy to wipe off as sweat though. Even in 80-90 degree weather, still go with leather. When you're moving its really not that hot. When you're stopped, yeah, it can get pretty warm in there. But a shower will solve all of that.

Road rash involves much more than a shower. Medical bills, inconvenience, uncomfortable badages, crutches, reopened wounds, etc.

I don't know. I played sports in high school and middle school and I'm used to sweating.

·
Registered
486 Posts
only time I go without the jacket is when I have this one girl riding with me and thats because she doesn't have one so I give her mine, but I make sure we always have on boots, pants, gloves and helmet, sometimes a girl will say something about having to wear it all and I'll just tell them they dont have to ride.
and I do plan on getting another jacket so we can both have one on.

·
Registered
114 Posts
For me, its "cool" to wear gear, because in my country, sportsbikes, gear, etc.. is rarely seen. After 10 years of riding i recently bought a riding leather jacket with armor. Have some decent Simpson gloves, and as shoes only can aford argentinian Marines combat boots, stolen by a friend from a nearby navy base. Still no pants, mostly because i cant go to work with leathers on, but i going to get some for the highway. I love to ride with my helmet, jacket, gloves and boots on, you look like a real sportbike rider, not a squid...but is a hassle to take all to commute...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
ExtraJ said:
there's alot of guys around here like that.
my favorite is the guy on the brand new 749s with a slick "ducati" leather jacket on, unzipped, no helmet or any other gear. and he even wears his super cool jacket when it's hot as balls out.
he wants to live the "ducati life"...well, life according to magazine ads. the monster ads show a bunch of italians on ducs geared exactly as you described. ppl are slaves to image... :dunno

·
Registered
418 Posts
A couple weeks ago I came across an accident on the freeway and found myself extremely disturbed by what I saw. No death or body parts, but what I did see was a motorcyclist who had been involved in the accident standing on the shoulder wearing a short sleeved shirt and a pair of Dickies. Needless to say his arms were completely raw and bleeding and his pants were shredded along with his knee. I found this extemely disturbing because this particular rider's injuries could have been primarily avoided if he had just been wearing a jacket and some decent pants.

I understand the weather is getting warmer and I'll have to admit that I've been tempted to jump on the bike without a jacket but it's just not worth it.

Considering what they have on the market these days there is no excuse for not wearing protective gear, hot or not. Several companies make 'jackets' that are basically just a mesh material which holds all the proper protective gear (shoulder pads, elbow pads, spine protection, and lumber padding) in place so there is no excuse for not wearing your gear when it's hot.

In fact Alpinestars makes something now that isn't even really a jacket, but more like a mesh 'shirt' with all the proper protection. Looks to me as though you could actually wear that with a loose fitting shirt over it. :idea

Anyway, call me paranoid, but even if I lived in a state that didn't have a helmet law I would still wear one. We all wear our gear, not because we have to, but because most of know it's the smart thing to do. :cheers

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm wondering why this matters. If he wants to wear no gear, well at least helmet, just let it be. Me, I ride in the city and I don't think I would ever go anywhere without at least a helmet, jacket, gloves, and some jeans. There is just way to many people here that will jump out in front of you. Just today I had to slam the breaks because someone 2 cars in front of me was stoped on an exit ramp. That's a nice place to be, when you have people exiting the freeway at 60mph talking on their cell phone. Then a week ago I get 1 mile from my house when someone turns in front of me 20feet away.

but if someone wants to commute around town with no gear on an R1 I don't care.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Houston_Rider said:
Grabbed this from my Treo this am after dropping my son off before I headed out to work. I rarely see this on the weekends let alone on the morning commute... and this is in Houston. WOW!

Wife-beater, shorts, Tennis shoes....Yama R-1...If this is you, get a jacket, or at least leave before I do...lol

Good luck...
hey thats me :lao X300000000000000 :eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor what part of houston where this pic was taken

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
CaboCastigo said:
For me, its "cool" to wear gear, because in my country, sportsbikes, gear, etc.. is rarely seen. After 10 years of riding i recently bought a riding leather jacket with armor. Have some decent Simpson gloves, and as shoes only can aford argentinian Marines combat boots, stolen by a friend from a nearby navy base. Still no pants, mostly because i cant go to work with leathers on, but i going to get some for the highway. I love to ride with my helmet, jacket, gloves and boots on, you look like a real sportbike rider, not a squid...but is a hassle to take all to commute...

Here gear is not rarely seen on people that can afford a sportbike. If you go to the places where most riders hang, you'll se tons of people wearing proper gear. But there are the others that buy old bikes or chinese bikes, that ride with no gear at all.

I ride daily with a jacket with armour, leather gloves and helmet. The Jacket and gloves are made in Mexico, and I already had a chance to try them, and I was amazed by how well they held (look for my accident pictures, while riding my scooter, basically I lowsided at 80km/h). The jacket was fixed by the factory, they replaced all the damaged parts, and the gloves were toast.

Here is my thread:

http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=270697

The jacket and gloves together weren't even $200 USD, I think like 190, but that was the best spent money in my entire life!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts