1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motorcyclist killed in fiery crash with van -- themorningcall.com

Motorcyclist killed in fiery crash with van

July 1, 2008

A motorcyclist was killed Monday in a fiery accident on Route 309 in Springfield Township.

Bradley Rapp, 22, of Kutztown Road, East Greenville, was pronounced dead at the scene, according to township police.

The crash, which occurredaround 11:45 a.m. in the 1500 block of Route 309 near Clay Avenue, snarled traffic in the area for the entire afternoon.

According to witnesses, a van driven by James Purcell, 60, of Bralthwaite Lane, Quakertown, was leaving the Bucks County Association for Retarded Citizens and attempting to turn left into the southbound lanes.

The van pulled in front of the northbound motorcycle. Rapp's 2002 Yamaha slammed into the side of the vehicle.

According to police, the motorcycle's tank ruptured, causing a fire that engulfed both vehicles.

Witnesses quickly removed Purcell from the van. He was transported to Lehigh Valley Hospital-Cedar Crest. He was listed in critical condition Monday night.

Rich DiMarco, who owns a scrapyard near the accident site, said he doubted the driver of the van saw the motorcycle.

The marked speed limit on the road is 55 mph, though DiMarco said drivers commonly speed through the area.

''If you aren't going 65 you don't have a chance,'' he said.

He added that accidents were common on that stretch of Route 309 until a turning lane was installed about 15 years ago.

State police at Dublin and Springfield Township police responded to the accident, as well as fire departments from Richland Township, Upper Saucon Township and Coopersburg.
Fatal Accident Slows Traffic on Route 309 in Bucks Co. : WFMZ-TV 69News
A fiery crash ends tragically for a Montgomery County man. Twenty-two-year-old Bradley Rapp of East Greenville was killed this morning when his motorcycle collided with a van in Quakertown. The crash happened around 11:30 on Route 309 South. Police say the motorcycle hit the side of the van and burst into flames. The driver of the van, 60-year-old James Purcell of Quakertown was taken to Lehigh Valley Hospital. He's listed in critical condition. Traffic on Route 309 was restricted to one lane in each direction for five hours following the crash.

RIP rider. Dang, the van pulled out in front of him.... :(

One of the other pictures that I saw shows the huge dent that the bike put into the van just behind the driver's side door.

According to his address, this guy must have lived just a few miles from me, and I ride on Kutztown road past his place every day to/from work. I've never met him before though.

Eric, do you know him?

And in this link:

Deadly day in Bucks (phillyBurbs.com) | Intelligencer

it mentions another motorcycle death. This time a new, 19 year old rider, on a permit with a 2008 R6..... :(

A Falls Township teenager died Sunday night after losing control of his motorcycle and crashing into trees on Derbyshire Road in Lower Makefield, police said.

Police said Richard Woolley, 19, lost control of his 2008 Yamaha R6 motorcycle and struck several small bushes and trees before hitting the large set of trees, police said.

Woolley, who was wearing a helmet, was taken to St. Mary Medical Center in Middletown, where he was pronounced dead on arrival. The motorcycle traveled about 150 feet off the roadway before striking the trees, police said.

Investigators said Woolley had his motorcycle license permit for a little more than a month.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I try to make eye contact at intersections with other drivers, otherwise, I assume they are plotting to pull out in front of me

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Another old person on the highway. I almost got clipped twice this week by old people who just don't have the ability to see well enough to drive, or the dexterity to look around before entering the roadway.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
According to his address, this guy must have lived just a few miles from me, and I ride on Kutztown road past his place every day to/from work. I've never met him before though.
Not to go off-topic, but Jim, where on Kutztown Road do you ride? I come in that way almost every day into Harleysville?

That second story sounds like a case of too much bike, not enough experience.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Google Maps

Map of the area - that's a bad area, coming into Coopersburg. Lots of traffic, four lanes plus a turn lane.

·
Turd Burgler
172 Posts
Bah, With all the elderly in this area you have to be on the defensive AT ALL TIMES. I can't even begin to count how many times I was almost taken out by a killer Qtip. Twice today alone both around supermarkets(must be feed the old fart day!).

Edit : I finally got around to installing an exhaust on my bike so at least some of them look for the noise before they pull out in front of me!!!

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Bah, With all the elderly in this area you have to be on the defensive AT ALL TIMES. I can't even begin to count how many times I was almost taken out by a killer Qtip. Twice today alone both around supermarkets(must be feed the old fart day!).

Edit : I finally got around to installing an exhaust on my bike so at least some of them look for the noise before they pull out in front of me!!!
First of the month, I think SS checks come out.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
3rd of the month the SS checks and other fed payments come out

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All of it

Not to go off-topic, but Jim, where on Kutztown Road do you ride? I come in that way almost every day into Harleysville?

That second story sounds like a case of too much bike, not enough experience.
Tony, I ride the entire length of Kutztown Road. I use it as a shortcut from Route 100 over to Route 663 or Route 29.

Recently I've been taking it all the way to Knight Road / Route 29, and then taking 63 up to 563 on my way to work. On the way back home, I usually take back roads over to Red Hill and then come back up to 663 / Kutztown Road.

I agree that the second incident definitely sounds like too much bike for a new rider.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Tony, I ride the entire length of Kutztown Road. I use it as a shortcut from Route 100 over to Route 663 or Route 29.

Recently I've been taking it all the way to Knight Road / Route 29, and then taking 63 up to 563 on my way to work. On the way back home, I usually take back roads over to Red Hill and then come back up to 663 / Kutztown Road.

I agree that the second incident definitely sounds like too much bike for a new rider.
I love that area!

everyone can hear the duc coming!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I try to make eye contact at intersections with other drivers, otherwise, I assume they are plotting to pull out in front of me
eye contact?!? I'd say it would be to late if you wait for that! watch the wheels! if they are revolving the car is moving.........

it's very unfortunate what happened here but you have to wonder how fast this bike was actually going to do that much damage to the van and then burst into flames on top of it all......

Ride safe-

·
Registered
2 Posts
thank you

eric

i wanted to thank you for the posting on my brother bradley rapp. i hope all you riders watch out for these idiots on the road. my brother loved his bike and was never happier than when he was on it.

thank you

samantha

RIP my brother I Love You

·
I Hate Cold Roads
991 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your brother. None of us could imagine what you've gone through. Prayers for you and your family.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
im not really sure how fast my brother was going but the van was loaded with hazardous materials.
Samantha, we were sorry to hear about your brother and like the others said, you guys are in our thoughts and prayers.

I was wondering if something was up with the van for there to be a fire like that. Crazy that it had hazmat stuff in it. :(

Like I mentioned when I posted the original article, I live about a mile from Kutztown Road and drive the entire length of it every day on my commute. I'm glad that Bradley loved to ride, and it's so sad that he's no longer with us.

Jim

1 - 20 of 219 Posts