Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Accepting Donations
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And why you should spend the money to get a good one, not a cheap piece of shit like I did a few years ago:

I got my tires on today and while I was work, so naturally I had to leave the bike on the stands, wheel-less.

I get back tonight and started to put the front wheel on first, and didn't notice that the fork wasn't on the "pad" properly - because the design is junk. Well when I noticed, I tried to back out the axle slowly but it was too late and then: Boom:

The pads did a 180 and the only thing that saved the forks from hitting the ground or my legs were the brake mount brackets.

Thanks to Chris, Tony, and Julie... We were able to lift the bike and get it back on the forks so I could get the wheel on.

I sent an email to the company about it because this isn't the first time I've had problems with it, so I don't want to say who just yet. But if I see someone showing interest in this company, I'll PM them and let them know. If I hear anything else from them, I'll post here.

All I can say for now is stick with Pit Bull or Vortex.

·
Accepting Donations
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not so much the fact that it's stable while on the stands because mine always felt it when shook by the side. It's the design of how it supports the forks.

A slight bump in the wrong direction of the forks is all it takes to throw it off.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Use a head-lift stand if the bike can take one, you'd be hard pressed to get the bike to fall off of one of those things.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I've got a spooled Pit Bull rear and plan on buying a PitBull head-lift for the front this summer

·
Accepting Donations
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The president of the stand company (even though it's small, it's still kinda nice) Emailed me personally apologizing sincerely for the problem and told me they actually did re-engineered the front stand and are sending me a new one free of charge to try and to give him feedback on it.

I'm actually quite surprised and sent back my own thankful email telling them I look forward to it.

Still some good people out there!

·
Registered
313 Posts
SalKhan said:
The president of the stand company (even though it's small, it's still kinda nice) Emailed me personally apologizing sincerely for the problem and told me they actually did re-engineered the front stand and are sending me a new one free of charge to try and to give him feedback on it.

I'm actually quite surprised and sent back my own thankful email telling them I look forward to it.

Still some good people out there!
Dude thats great! I never get free stuff when I call to complain...

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Whoa. Really? A new front stand free? NICE!

Definately let everyone know the name of them once you get your new one in. :)

·
Yes I'm a FIB
2,139 Posts
svbrian650s said:
Stay away from the Handy front stand as well. I haven't had any drops but a few close calls.
+1
Actually the Handy rear stand ny friend got was over 1" off on one side. Stand did not even sit level by itself!
He ended up torching some steel off the one side and welding it back together to make it work. We still don't trust it so we'll use ratchets hooked up to the bike and hooks in the garage ceiling for support (in case bike falls off stand).

·
Registered
412 Posts
PIT-BULL accept no substitute. Glad you made made through, it would suck getting pinned under the bike with no one around. I'm not even sure if you would make the channel 5 news for that one, that would really suck:twofinger

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
+1 on the PitBull, that thing is solid as a rock.

·
Registered
317 Posts
i agrees on pitballs i kick the stands a bunch of times with my bike on it and drive over the handle bars sometimes to get my other bike out. solid as a rock

·
Registered
908 Posts
JMGDucati said:
Pitbull or Cycle Cat

+1 on that. I have the Cycle Cat rear stand and it is amazing. Little more expensive than the rest but the reliability, durability, and ease of use is second to none. The pivot design is pretty kick ass too.

·
Downtown Sport Commuter
873 Posts
MPower said:
+1 on that. I have the Cycle Cat rear stand and it is amazing. Little more expensive than the rest but the reliability, durability, and ease of use is second to none. The pivot design is pretty kick ass too.
I'm glad to hear someone thinks the cycle cat works well. I've been thinking about getting one for the occasional chain cleaning. I really like the ad with a little girl lifting a bike off the side stand. It's so sweet!!! :p

·
Registered
180 Posts
I haven't heard of CycleCats, but I wouldn't buy anything but PitBulls. They make one of the best single sided swingarm stands around. BTW, if any of you need to borrow either my single sided or conventional, pm me. I also have the front lift PitBull, but you have to buy your own pin :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts