Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading alot of posts on here and there is some great info on this board thanks to the experience of alot of riders. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with a couple questions:

-What are frame sliders? I hear alot of people talk about them but I don't know what they are. I've done a search to find pics before asking but no luck.
-Does anyone notice a difference between bikes where the carb has to rejetted to accomodate a pipe and a bike that is fuel injected?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
886 Posts
A frame slider is basically a chunk of plastic attached to the frame so that if you go down, the bike will land on the slider instead of the fairings/engine minimizing the damage (though some parts like your blinkers/bars are still vulnerable).

Fuel injection bikes need to be remapped when you put a full aftermarket exhuast on, carborated bikes need to be rejetted.

·
Registered
57 Posts
because

They don't "have" to be rejetted, but definetly should. It's all about air/fuel ratio. When you add a pipe/aftermarket filter you are changing the air flow. Rejetting the carbs brings the air/fuel ratio to where it should be = smoother throttle response and more power.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry for the ?'s, but what is remapping and how is it done? I've read about PC's and that sort, am I on the right track?
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
886 Posts
If you don't rejet after you put a full exhuast on it will run lean. Robbing you of power and possibly damaging your engine in the long run.

I'm not too familiar with fuel injection but a power commander or the likes is what is used to remap. I know a pc also changes your ignition timing too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am new to remapping as well, I just bought a power commander. bikes are not made perfect. you can remap stock bikes and get better throttle response and a little more power. Remapping is basically the same as rejeeting, only for fuel injection. The PC just plugs into your computer, you load the map from a cd/internet, then plug it into your bike. That's about all I know. Mine is coming in the mail soon, and from what I've heard they are worth the money.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Well it can't really be like rejetting because FI, in stock form always runs the engine at the right mixture reguardless of conditions from what I understand... I know your powerband will feel a little beefier because of the change in the ignition curve but I don't think that it will actually increase HP numbers.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
The reason that re-jetting or re-mapping works is that bikes come set lean from the factory to meet emission standards. When you get a slip-on or full exhaust system, you usually reduce the exhaust back pressure which allows more air-fuel mixture to run through the engine. More air and same fuel makes it more lean. Re-jetting or re-mapping richens the mixture a little to compensate usually resulting in a small hp gain (1-5 depending on the bike).

Carb jetting allows for tweaking the air-fuel mixture at certain points (pilot jets, main jets, needle shims, idle mixture screws). FI is usually run by a computer that optimizes the mixture at any given rpm, throttle input, air density (largely influenced by elevation and temperature), and load. Re-mapping the FI changes the parameters of the computer program to allow a slightly richer mixture under all those conditions.

If your state has emissions testing for bikes, be careful with re-jetting or re-mapping as you might not pass. :a2

1 - 10 of 10 Posts