Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some decent advice last time, and want to ask another question. I have a new machine with XP. My old Dell won't boot up except in safe mode. Is there any way to get the data from the old machine?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Can you boot it up in the normal mode? I can't remember what you have to hit when you start the machine up to get into it F12 or F8 or something. That should get you into the bios.

·
Pre-register sex offender
1,091 Posts
ya, just install the other hard drive into your new machine and transfer what ever stuff you needed over.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big15 said:
Can you boot it up in the normal mode? I can't remember what you have to hit when you start the machine up to get into it F12 or F8 or something. That should get you into the bios.
Nah the OS is all corrupted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Exodus said:
ya, just install the other hard drive into your new machine and transfer what ever stuff you needed over.

This would be your best bet.

My approach when i can't crack the cases and the machines are on a network is to use a live CD of Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.com/) and use the samba server in it to share the corrupted drive across the network.

Big thing to remember: Make sure you have the latest virus updates on your new system! Don't want anything sneaking across. :)

-Chris

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Yeah, just install the HD as a slave drive and copy everything you need.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Twinsen said:
Yeah, just install the HD as a slave drive and copy everything you need.
this is your best bet. Make sure before you connect the drive to have the newest virus software on the new mach. Dont even bother with knopix or any thing of that sort as its a totally differnt system you will need to figgure out when simply slaving the drive to the new box and copying and pasting what you want will work and is sooo much simpler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts