Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I pick up my 96 ZX6R yesterday from the shop. It started and it sounded brand new. The jets in #1 carb had been clogged from a year in storage and the other 3 carbs weren't much better. So that's problem was taken care up but another issue came up.

First, the seal on the right side of the fork is leaking again. Leaking to the point where it got on the brakes and now I believe my pads have been saturated with fork oil. I've already called the shop that did the work and I'm bringing it in on Saturday.

Secondly, by the time I got the bike home yesterday, the engine seemed very rough at idle. Almost loopy. It runs fine otherwise but when coming to a stop at a light, I was in 1st gear with my hand off the clutch and I could feel the bike bucking and surging ever so slightly.

Now, with what I have learned about carburated bikes and bikes in general, the year that my bike was in storage could still be causing the problems. Could it be that there is sediment in the bottom of my gas tank causing problems with the carbs? What are some other things I can troubleshoot? Eventually I want to work on the bike myself so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

*ordering shop manual now*

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
could very well be the problem. Most shops dont flush the tank out when they do a carb clean. Your lucky if they drain the old out and put a bit in of fresh fuel.

I would top the tank off with good gas and if it doesnt go away after a bit, you might want to drop the float bowls off and see if anything is in the carbs that shouldnt be.

On your fork seal problems. A few things come to mind. Did you use the garbage fork seals or OEM ones? NEVER, NEVER I repeat NEVER use the aftermarket ones. Sure they say lifetime garunteed, but they dont say the labor will be covered and that my friend is where they get you with that one.

The fork tube could also be slightly bent or have a nick in it. This would tear the seal almost immediately. If it is the case, you shouldnt have to pay for the repair as they should have told you it was bent or polished out the nick if possible. In our world (mechanics) we call that a come back and is free of charge.

If it did get on the pads, demand a new set. Once they are contaminated like that, it could take a long time of brake wear to get the oil to weep back out and while thats happening its not doing its job. New pads for sure

·
Knuckle Dragger
187 Posts
Year old gas? Ich! Blech! Ptuey! :barf

Also, try running a double dose of carb cleaner gas additive through it.

Cheap and easy fixes are worth a shot before getting serious.

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I'm not sure which seals were used. On the receipt it just reads "96 ZX6R inner/outer seal." Of course I will ask if I have to pay for the same repair again. Plus I will also demand the brake pads get changed too. I made a quick run around town last night and there is a noticeable difference in the performance of the front brakes.

As for the tube being bent, I asked the shop that did the carbs and they stated it wasn't bent. They couldn't figure out why the seal would go bad. The tube is nick/burr free as well.

The gas, well, I am planning to get the bike repainted via a SBN member so I'll be pulling the tank anyway. It will give me a chance to clean it out and seal it if needed. Plus I can check the fuel system, plugs, and cooling too.

This is turning out to be a nice weekender shadetree project.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts