Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sad to see someone get hurt. I didn't see the original incident in the news. It's seems to me to be 3 more reasons to avoid RR. (drivers suck, increased construction, & a probability of increased patrols)

Cyclists support hit-and-run victim

60 riders pedal through Red Rock area to show solidarity with police officer struck by truck

By ANDREW STRICKLER
REVIEW-JOURNAL

The sun rises over cyclists in Red Rock Canyon on Thursday morning. About 60 riders, most from local bike clubs, rode in support of fellow cyclist Don Albietz, who was seriously injured by a driver on Wednesday.
Photo by Clint Karlsen.

A line of bicyclists rode through Red Rock Canyon on Thursday morning to show support for a rider critically injured by a hit-and-run driver on the same road early Wednesday. They also called for safety improvements to the popular route they said is increasingly dangerous for cyclists and drivers.

About 60 riders joined the two-hour round-trip ride to the Red Rock Recreation Area.

Doug Kurdziel, a Las Vegas attorney who rides in the Red Rock area about four times a week, arrived with his bike soon after dawn. "It's a show of solidarity. We could all face the same fate."

The Nevada Highway Patrol reported that the injured rider, Las Vegas police officer Don Albietz, was struck from behind on state Route 159 about 6 a.m. Wednesday by a driver in a flat-bed truck pulling a trailer. Witnesses told police the driver stopped and checked on Albietz, then fled without calling police.

Friend and fellow cyclist Heather Fisher said Albietz, who lives in the Red Rock Canyon community of Blue Diamond, frequently patrolled state Route 159 both as an officer and cyclist. "He's always looking out for the safety of that road," Fisher said.

A police spokesman said Albietz, as of late Wednesday, was in critical but stable condition at University Medical Center.

Police found the truck involved in the accident abandoned near Charleston and Rampart boulevards on Wednesday. The trailer, which carried a crushed car and metal debris, was found Thursday near Flamingo Road and El Capitan Way. Police were looking for the driver.

James Cullen, a retired geologist and avid rider, contacted bike shops and clubs to invite riders to show their support. "Cyclists are a very tight community, and it's easy to get the word out," he said.

Many riders said state Route 159, built as a scenic road, is increasingly used by commercial vehicles like the one that struck Albietz.

Cullen said truckers now use the road to avoid traffic on their way to and from state Route 160.

Fisher, who runs a bike shop and adventure tour company, agreed that development along state Route 160 is the root cause of traffic and accidents on state Route 159.

"It's becoming a speedway," she said of state Route 159.

Fisher and others said the 60 mph speed limit, raised from 45 mph in 2000, is largely ignored on the winding road. "Sometimes I drive 60 on that road just to make everyone mad," she said.

Nevada Highway Patrol spokeswoman Angie Chavera agreed that commuters, slow-moving sightseers and bicyclists have created a dangerous mix on state Route 159.

"It would be nice if trucks and commuters wouldn't use that road as a short cut, but it's a state route and there are no restrictions," she said.

The Highway Patrol has tallied 18 fatal crashes on state routes 159 and 160 last year, including one in which a motorcyclist struck a bicycle rider. There have been 6 fatal accidents on the two routes this year.
Nevada Department of Transportation records show the daily average number of vehicles on state Route 159 was up almost 40 percent from 2003 to 2004, while traffic on Route 159 near state Route 160 held steady. Statistics for 2005 were not available.

To address the concerns of cyclists and other groups, Transportation Department engineer Mary Martini said the agency has set aside $400,000 for safety improvements to state Route 159.

Martini said possible improvements include additional signs, narrowing lanes to slow traffic, increased patrols, and adding warning ripples in the pavement. The department will host public meetings in August and September on the proposals.

"The problem is not the road," she said. "Driver behavior is by far the most important issue out there."

(I didn't hear about the pedal/motorcycle crash anyone know about it?)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'll tell you this I was out there this morning and if we dont see anything on the news tonight about another cyclist hit I will be suprised. They where every where riding in the road and just plain acting like fools.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Pedestrians, cyclists and cars need to stay off our race track.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LDREBEL said:
Second.

And how does one drag a knee through Red Rock?
Any time I drag a knee I'm also dragging an elbow, a shoulder, a hip and sometimes a helmet.

I've seen it done, it just doesn't seem like a particularly good idea.

I was exchanging messages with someone on another site who invited me to come out and ride redrock with him. I said that I was having problems with my reg/rec. Thinking that I meant registration not regulator he indicated that it's ok to ride redrock without a registration, he does it all the time. Yipes.

·
Registered
365 Posts
LDREBEL said:
And how does one drag a knee through Red Rock?
You open your car door and stick your knee out :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
SqDancerLynn1 said:
Bicycles should not be allowed if they cannot do the speed limit!!!!!!!!!!!
AMEN!- We are required to have plates why not them? Countless times in my 2 1/2 ton 4 wheeled vehicle have I had one of these knucleheads weave from the shoulder into my lane leaving no room to avoid them but slam on the brakes.

Maybe its the Common Sense in me but damn our Highway Patrol on the East Coast would lock you up for being so damn stupid. :welcome

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
Sometimes I ride with a motor and sometimes I am the motor. But I stay my ass off the concrete because its so dangerous. Sucks to see a rider get killed by negligence and it sucks that red rock might be worse off (from a motorcycle POV) because of it. I say we start writing letters, close it down and make it a racetrack. I'll pay a few bones for a 'track day'. ;)

·
Registered
918 Posts
We already have 3 race tracks nearby. Red Rock is hardly the place for it. There isn't much room for error. Better to leave that place for the sightseers and exercisers.

Speeding is fun but we need to stay away from the public.

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
For the record I keep it very civil when I ride through there. Thats why it would be fun to really open it up. BTW-I hadn't noticed your avatar is the evil monkey from family guy, funny ass show. :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
They need to make a bike lane or something...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hate to see this shit happen, but when you ride a bike(ped.) on a road that is also traveled by cars and trucks,this kind of thing is bound to happen. They should make a state park with bike paths just for this reason alone. They have a shit load of them back in Ohio.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts